Disney developing more Star Wars TV

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Disney developing more Star Wars TV

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Verge
Disney Plus is getting two new Mandalorian spinoffs: Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka
3 comments

Crossovers are coming
By Chaim Gartenberg@cgartenberg Dec 10, 2020, 6:15pm EST

Lucasfilm has announced two new Star Wars TV shows: Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic, and Star Wars: Ahsoka, both of which will be spinoffs from The Mandalorian.

The two shows will crossover with future seasons of The Mandalorian, and culminate in a “climactic story event.” Disney has yet to reveal much information on the two new projects, but Rosario Dawson is set to return to reprise her role as the live-action Ahsoka Tano.

The two series are just several of the new Star Wars shows coming to Disney Plus in the future, along with Star Wars: Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars: Lando, The Acolyte, the animated Clone Wars spin-off The Bad Batch, and the anime anthology Star Wars: Visions.

Disney has yet to say when exactly to expect either Rangers of the New Republic or Ahsoka, but teased that “the next chapter” of the story will debut Christmas 2021.
Just announced, no real news yet apart from Rosario Dawson reprising Ahsoka.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Disney developing more Star Wars TV

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hardly surprising given Everyone tossing off to the success of The Mandalorian.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Patty Jenkins is doing a Rogue Squadron thing and that's neat!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I’m not adverse to this. It allows nice smaller scale stories with lower stakes.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Also two sizzle reels dropped on the Star Wars Youtube channel:
- Andor
- Bad Batch
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

this makes me hold out hope they'll also do the pre-Disney EU post Endor stuff into a multi-season animated series one day.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

"Rogue Squadron" should be fun, I've always wanted an adaptation of that. Hopefully it won't be as flagrantly bad as the other recent Star Wars movies. Have zero opinion on Patty Jenkins specifically, "Wonder Woman" was pretty interchangeable with just about every other superhero movie of the past decade (which is fine). I just hope they make the dogfights in the movie actually look good, a big problem with say ROS was that the space battles just looked like incoherent crap. Apparently Patty Jenkins' late father was actually a fighter pilot and she tried for years to make a Chuck Yeager biopic, so that bodes well in that she seems passionate about depicting that. I will try not to get my hopes up, but definitely the thing I am most excited for in this slate of announcements.

Most of the other things I have no opinion on (never watched Clone Wars so have no attachment to Ahsoka as a character, tec.) or am just confused by. I mean, I know "Rogue One" is a fan favorite, but do we really need to see more of Andor? The whole reason that story worked was because it was a standalone one-off adventure tangentially related to the events of the original trilogy. And the "Obi-Wan Kenobi" series can't possibly be good, given it is supposed to be set during the time he is in exile on Tatooine protecting Luke, and yet will feature Darth Vader (happy for Hayden Christiansen to get work again, though). Something tells me Obi-Wan is going to be going off Tatooine on all series of wacky CGI hijinks that make no sense for either his character or the setting. Hell, Disney is shameless enough to have an Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader confrontation despite that explicitly shitting on the established chronology.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

You'd get better ratings with them nearly running into each other on numerous occasions, with Kenobi hiding his force signature to Vader doesn't know who/what it is. The possibility of a confrontation will drive the plot and ratings, until finally, at the end of the series, Kenobi is back on Tattooine, looks up into the sky, and sees the Devestator attacking the Tantive IV, and then sees the escape pod launched, and mutters "So, it's time..."
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Solauren wrote: 2020-12-11 10:45am You'd get better ratings with them nearly running into each other on numerous occasions, with Kenobi hiding his force signature to Vader doesn't know who/what it is. The possibility of a confrontation will drive the plot and ratings, until finally, at the end of the series, Kenobi is back on Tattooine, looks up into the sky, and sees the Devestator attacking the Tantive IV, and then sees the escape pod launched, and mutters "So, it's time..."
I'm don't think that's true. Sure, Star Wars "purists" who are explicitly interested in maintaining established continuity/canon would like it to go that way, but based on popular reception of "Mandalorian" and other recent Star Wars entries I see no evidence that audiences are so restrained or that Disney is particularly interested in any sophisticated story arcs (hell, even the concept of "narrative tension" is one Disney has long since thrown out the window). I mean, every single Star Wars release in the past 20 years (including the prequels) has been presaged by fans (on these forums and elsewhere) outlining how they think the story would best unfold, and they are pretty much always wrong.

Honestly, if the show was literally about Obi-Wan and Vader becoming friends again and going on wacky hijinks throughout the galaxy and then having another falling out at the end, it wouldn't be a surprise. And it would be unlikely to have a significant impact on the ratings.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Sorry to double-post, but I've read that the Kenobi show is actually supposed to be a six-episode miniseries? i.e. not intentionally meant to be a recurring show. In which case it might be a little more restrained in how it handles things, if it is really supposed to be a stand-alone. Still wildly unnecessary to have a third on screen Kenobi-Vader confrontation, but maybe it will be pander a little less if it isn't trying to get renewed.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Personally I think there's more to Christensen returning than what it seems on the surface. I mean, what would be the point if he's just in the suit with his voice dubbed over anyway? You could get anyone to do that and probably cheaper.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

RogueIce wrote: 2020-12-12 03:03pm Personally I think there's more to Christensen returning than what it seems on the surface. I mean, what would be the point if he's just in the suit with his voice dubbed over anyway? You could get anyone to do that and probably cheaper.
Flashbacks during the Clone Wars. (Possibly live action version of the Clone Wars animated series)
Anakin being the 'devil/angel' on Kenobi's shoulders as he thinks about things

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Solauren wrote: 2020-12-12 03:23pm
RogueIce wrote: 2020-12-12 03:03pm Personally I think there's more to Christensen returning than what it seems on the surface. I mean, what would be the point if he's just in the suit with his voice dubbed over anyway? You could get anyone to do that and probably cheaper.
Flashbacks during the Clone Wars. (Possibly live action version of the Clone Wars animated series)
Anakin being the 'devil/angel' on Kenobi's shoulders as he thinks about things
Precisely. People are getting all "Disney is going to RUIN FOREVER" by having Kenobi and Vader face off between Episodes 3 and 4 but...there's no point in having Hayden be a part of the announcement if he's just going to be a suit actor. No, I suspect "Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader" is either a bit of a misnomer or will be a much more metaphysical aspect of the series.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Plus, just because Christiansen is in the series doesn't mean the two will actually meet. I mean, Vader is in Rogue One but never meets any of the named characters except Krennic, but he's still in the same film.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2020-12-13 01:52pm Plus, just because Christiansen is in the series doesn't mean the two will actually meet. I mean, Vader is in Rogue One but never meets any of the named characters except Krennic, but he's still in the same film.
And I agree this is how they should be handled. Never meeting, never crossing paths in person, but sliding through peripherally
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Her talking about her father, I could just feel her sincerity and her want to do a movie that does fighter pilots justice. God, I'm soooo ready for this Rogue Squadron movie.

The music they use, it just struck a perfect cord for me. Mainly cause it reminds me of a trailer that was done for the DCS combat flight sim game, for their expansion for the F-16.