Anyone reading the comics these days?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Anyone reading the comics these days?

Post by Galvatron »

Per the Darth Vader series, this just happened (between TESB and ROTJ):

Spoiler

then...

then...

RogueIce
_______

Re: Anyone reading the comics these days?

Post by RogueIce »

The problem with Star Wars comics being under Marvel comics is that they're under Marvel comics, who do stupid shit like this. Not that DC would be any better.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Meh, it's not so bad. Vader just has to claw his way into the base where he slaughtered the Separatist leaders and rebuild himself with old droid parts.

Then he has to fend off that Sith agent from the TROS flashbacks. Palpatine thinks Vader's gone soft, so I imagine this is his idea of training.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

That's assuming that the base hasn't been cleared out by the workers we saw in ROTS, or the Empire, or someone else. There might not be spare parts to work with.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wasn't assuming it: that's what already happened in the following issue. :)

Spoiler
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Marvel has overexposed Vader to the point he suffers from badass decay, killing any further interest I have in the company's depiction of the character. I lost interest in the mainline Star Wars comics after they made pre-ESB Luke suicidal, to match his portrayal in TLA, in Mutiny at Mon Cala.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

So the new issue of the current Vader series heavily implies that...

Spoiler
...the Emperor was building his fleet on Exegol as far back as before ROTJ (maybe longer).

Spoiler

Then later in the same issue...

We may actually get some more worldbuilding about the Sith Eternal and their activities during the OT era.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

This is from the latest Darth Vader comic, in which he journeys to Exegol for the first time between TESB and ROTJ:

Spoiler

Then a few pages later...

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Wow, that's, mind-numbling stupid.

ONE of those Star Destroyers was worse then a Death Star (smaller, less resources, easier to secure).

If Darth Sidious d had even a handful of them while he was Emperor, he wouldn't have needed the Death Star.

Hell, even if the first one was only online after Empire Strikes Back, 10 of those at the Battle of Endor, using the Death Star was bait, would have ended the Rebellion!

WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE IDIOTS THINKING?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

My only guess is that they're not ready for action. The cannons they're being built to carry may only be in the design stage at that point.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Solauren wrote: 2021-04-28 09:37pm WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE IDIOTS THINKING?
You are assuming they are?

Seriously though, I expected Disney-Wars to eventually devolve into bad fan-fiction the way Star Trek did. I underestimated just how fast that would happen. They have succeeded in making Dark Empire look well written and sensible. :shock:
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's really not all that different from the development of the Eclipse and Sovereign classes from the old EU.
The Eclipse, alongside its sister ship, the Eclipse II, began construction early in the Galactic Civil War, around 0 ABY.[12] The ship class, alongside that of a similar Star Dreadnought class called the Sovereign-class, were planned to revolutionize naval combat as well as ensure the dominance of the Imperial Navy up to the next century of its existence.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Eclips ... readnought
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Lord Insanity wrote: 2021-04-28 10:52pm Seriously though, I expected Disney-Wars to eventually devolve into bad fan-fiction the way Star Trek did. I underestimated just how fast that would happen. They have succeeded in making Dark Empire look well written and sensible. :shock:
I think they already have.

I mean, the first and third of the sequel trilogy had stuff that if not fan fiction ready sure fit in with some of the crap from the comics and novels.

Ever escalating bigger and badder weapons of mass destruction. :roll:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Galvatron wrote: 2021-04-28 11:04pm It's really not all that different from the development of the Eclipse and Sovereign classes from the old EU.
The Eclipse, alongside its sister ship, the Eclipse II, began construction early in the Galactic Civil War, around 0 ABY.[12] The ship class, alongside that of a similar Star Dreadnought class called the Sovereign-class, were planned to revolutionize naval combat as well as ensure the dominance of the Imperial Navy up to the next century of its existence.
True, But those ships were massive, not the size of a ISD. Eclipse was 17.5km, and several high, with most of it devoted to the hypermatter reactor.
And it was only 1/3 of the power to destroy a planet.

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Tsyroc wrote: 2021-04-29 04:17pm
Lord Insanity wrote: 2021-04-28 10:52pm Seriously though, I expected Disney-Wars to eventually devolve into bad fan-fiction the way Star Trek did. I underestimated just how fast that would happen. They have succeeded in making Dark Empire look well written and sensible. :shock:
I think they already have.
Yeah that's what I saying in the second sentence.
Galvatron wrote: 2021-04-28 11:04pm It's really not all that different from the development of the Eclipse and Sovereign classes from the old EU.
As Solauren already said those ships were larger than the Executor. They were also only ever described as ship killers not planet killers. So like what we see the Death Star II doing in Return of the Jedi or the "single reactor ignition" we see the Death Star I doing in Rouge One.

Hence why I stated they have succeeded in making Dark Empire look well written and sensible. The weapons were scaled to the ships much like we see a compound "laser" on the gunships in Attack of the Clones. Hell even Anderson's novel Dark Saber is more sensible than what they did in Rise of Skywalker.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Heck, I thought Dark Saber made alot of sense.

A Hutt got the plans, got overconfident, missed details, and it blew up in his face.
Kind of like someone getting the plans for a nuclear weapon, and then skimping on safety measures and training.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Tough crowd. Here's a bonus page:

Spoiler
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Hey, Palaptine threatening to replace Vader if he failed makes sense. Especially since Vader HATES failure.

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed most of the Vader comic. I actually like that the series shows Palpatine constantly testing Vader and maintaining his dominance over him. Much like how the Clone Wars series helps to sell Anikin's fall in Revenge of the Sith, the comic helps to sell Palpatine's utter shock at Vader's turn in Return of the Jedi. However, I am at least a year behind and that idiotic Rise of Skywalker tie-in isn't really enticing me to catch up.
-Lord Insanity

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah, it makes sense that a lot of the time spent between ROTS and ANH consisted of Palpatine routinely testing Vader's worthiness to shoulder the mantle. The Sith version of Jedi training, as it were.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I was going to post this, but I got beat by Galvatron
Solauren wrote: 2021-04-28 09:37pm WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE IDIOTS THINKING?
What they were thinking? Well, they were trying to make the shitty sequel trilogy contaminate the Original Trilogy.

It's why I never actually watched the season of REBELS that introduced GADM Thrawn back to the SW Universe; and eventually gave it away unopened to someone else.

I just couldn't bring myself to invest the time (5 to 8 hours) required to watch it, when I knew that the SW universe canon was created into a fucked up horrific mess by Disney. So why bother? Stick to Mass Effect and Liara T'Soni.
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2021-05-07 06:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

No, what's even worse is....

VADER KNEW ALL THIS.

YET VADER DIDNT TELL LUKE AS HE LAY DYING ON THE SECOND DEATH STAR IN ROTJ.

"THE EMPEROR IS NOT YET DEAD. HE SLEEPS ON EXEGOL. YOU WILL NEED A HOLOCR.....ugghggghgh" *dies*
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Lord Insanity wrote: 2021-05-01 10:40pm Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed most of the Vader comic. I actually like that the series shows Palpatine constantly testing Vader and maintaining his dominance over him.
Here's the thing. Palpatine is constantly shit testing Vader, to the point that Anakin Skywalker would have just killed Palpatine long before ROTJ.

What's more believable is that there are two major events in the Vader/Palpatine relationship:

1.) Vader is "born" in that medical chamber in Imperial City -- the comic that continued from that scene had Palpatine force lightning-ing Vader because Vader in his anger after finding out everything (like Padme was dead) force threw everything in the chamber (including Palpatine himself) against the wall.

Palpatine didn't do any silly test monologues to vader; he just said essentially: "For your sake, I will not carry this further, as you are...upset; but do not lay a hand upon me again."

2.) Vader is "corrected" by Palpatine after the destruction of the First Death Star.

In between, there's a lot of sly hints and subtle zingers from Palpatine to Vader; needling him subtly.

You don't get a dog to become loyal by beating it. Beating it results in a violent paranoid schizoid dog that would just as well attack you as a random person.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

MKSheppard wrote: 2021-05-07 06:31pmYou don't get a dog to become loyal by beating it. Beating it results in a violent paranoid schizoid dog that would just as well attack you as a random person.
You do when it's an attack dog that becomes more powerful and better at killing things if it's constantly riled up and terrified.

They're Sith Lords. They don't do friendship or healthy relationships built on mutual respect. Vader was making plans to kill Palpatine within a few hours of killing Mace Windu. Loyalty was never in the cards.
No, what's even worse is....

VADER KNEW ALL THIS.

YET VADER DIDNT TELL LUKE AS HE LAY DYING ON THE SECOND DEATH STAR IN ROTJ.

"THE EMPEROR IS NOT YET DEAD. HE SLEEPS ON EXEGOL. YOU WILL NEED A HOLOCR.....ugghggghgh" *dies*
I mean, Vader was dying of horrible injuries and focused on his feelings and the enormity of what he'd done and his last chance to spend a moment with his son. He was distracted.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Luke was looking for the 'Wayfinder'. I'm willing to bet Kenobi or ANakin paid him a force-ghost visit.