What legends arcs should the clone wars have adapted?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

What legends arcs should the clone wars have adapted?

Post by Darth Yan »

Simply that. While from what I've seen of the clone wars show is pretty good, rereading some of the EU storyline showed that there were a few hidden gems that honestly would have been pretty cool if they had been adapted. I have a few but I'm wondering if everyone has their own suggestions

1.) Yoda's friendship with King Alaric (from Dark Horse Comics):

This video sums up the story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucaaTWJQA7A

I liked it because it fleshed Yoda out and managed to pull off moral ambiguity in a way that works. Yoda's friendship with Alaric is a joy to read, which makes the tragic conclusion all the more heartbreaking, It also shows how war is starting to corrupt the Jedi through one of the padawans who accompanies Yoda.

2.) Jabiim Arc (DH): This is kind of a challenge for a kid's show but it works because it really does sum up the clone wars; violent, demoralizing, bloody and ultimately completely pointless (Jabiim is basically Vietnam and even ends the same way).

3.) Nelvaan Arc (Genndy Tartakovsky's clone wars): This takes place just before Revenge of the Sith, and we get to see Anakin at his most primal here with a creepy vision foreshadowing his fate and his surprisingly brutal execution of some mad scientists who experimented on the natives.

4.) Labryinth of Evil (Del Rey books): This is like the Nelvaan arc in that it takes place right before Revenge of the Sith (Which causes a bit of inconsistency). Basically the premise is that Nute Gunray goes back to raid his palace and get a few treasures, prompting the republic to try and capture him. Gunray escapes but he DOES leave behind his mechno-chair, which gives the Jedi proof that Sidious exists. What follows is a cat and mouse game of the Jedi trying to find Sidious before it's too late. Of course they don't succeed (Thanks to Sidious launching the invasion of Coruscant largely to derail the investigation) but you find yourself desperately hoping the Jedi succeed even though you know they're doomed.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: What legends arcs should the clone wars have adapted?

Post by Solauren »

As a wrap up season, I'd add the Darth Vader novel set right after Revenge of the Sith, especially if you add in voice over of Vader and Sidious's thoughts. It really shows Anakins mental transformation into Darth Vader, the change in behavior in the clones, and in the jedi.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Another one I forgot. Ronhar Kim.

Basically Palpatine’s mentor in politics was Senator Vidar Kim; Ronhar was Vidar’s youngest son given up to the Jedi. When Vidar’s wife and sons die in an accident (believe it or not; at the very least Palpatine himself is genuinely surprised at the insinuation it was) he tries to get Ronhar to leave and become his heir. Sidious, in order to advance arranges Vidar’s murder at the hands of assassins and THEN works his way into Ronhar’s confidence by playing on his relationship with Vidar.

What ensues is a friendship that lasts for 30 years. Ronhar even “saves” Palpatine from an attemp to kill him which gives Palpatine the excuse to create the red guard....until Ronhar proposes using a midichlorian year to find out who the Sith Lord is and proposing that Palpatine undergo it first to get others on board. So without a second thought Palpatine arranges a battle and ensures that a.) Vidar and his apprentice are there and b.) they are doomed and have no chance of escape. With that any chance of exposing Palpatine dies with him, and Palpatine gives a eulogy for his dear friend Ronhar.

Palpatine was able to convince a skilled Jedi they were friends for thirty years.....and then promptly throws him aside like a broken blade to further his cause. Cold.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Keeping in mind that when it first aired, TCW was congruent with Legends. Which means for the first six* seasons there was no particular need for them to adapt the EU storylines, since it's not like they were going anywhere. And if they had, things would have been changed (like the Slaves of the Republic arc).

Worth noting that, at the time, EU fans got mega-butthurt over the things TCW changed from various comics and novels when they did something to various characters.

And Season 7 was basically a wrap-up season so delving into other stories - especially ones not involving Ahsoka and Rex and getting them on the path to their appearances in Rebels - would have simply been a waste of time.

*Season 6 was basically already in the can at the time of the turnover. Some adjustments might have been made I guess, but most of the new Canon wasn't even out yet so I doubt anything major was done.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

RogueIce wrote: 2020-08-30 06:34pm Keeping in mind that when it first aired, TCW was congruent with Legends. Which means for the first six* seasons there was no particular need for them to adapt the EU storylines, since it's not like they were going anywhere. And if they had, things would have been changed (like the Slaves of the Republic arc).

Worth noting that, at the time, EU fans got mega-butthurt over the things TCW changed from various comics and novels when they did something to various characters.

And Season 7 was basically a wrap-up season so delving into other stories - especially ones not involving Ahsoka and Rex and getting them on the path to their appearances in Rebels - would have simply been a waste of time.

*Season 6 was basically already in the can at the time of the turnover. Some adjustments might have been made I guess, but most of the new Canon wasn't even out yet so I doubt anything major was done.
I know this was true in theory, but there is no way it was actually true given that we see repeats of several arcs such as the Battle of Kamino and the Battle of Mon Calamari. Unless you really want to go with the idea that there were more than one nearly identical battle on each planet.

The second problem is that if you look at the New Essential Chronology. there really is no time to fit the events of the Clone Wars series into. Everything was already filled in.
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

There's always the traditional "It's Republic Propaganda to sell war bonds" cop-out.

If anyone asks why they portray the Jedi in a bad light occasionally, we can always say the censors never aired those episodes and the writing team got investigated by COMPOR afterwards.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

chimericoncogene wrote: 2020-08-31 10:12pm There's always the traditional "It's Republic Propaganda to sell war bonds" cop-out.

If anyone asks why they portray the Jedi in a bad light occasionally, we can always say the censors never aired those episodes and the writing team got investigated by COMPOR afterwards.
My point was an out of universe one, that Disney should have just kept the old EU as what it was without Clone Wars and made Clone Wars the beginning of the new canon. This would have affected a couple of the later reference books, but it would have probably worked better than the alternative of having two highly competing timelines and an arc for Ashoka that doesn't finish in Legends.

Headcannon really is just better at this point anyway than either continuity, so yeah.
Dino-Mario
Redshirt

Post by Dino-Mario »

The Nelvaan arc could have been rad to see. They really should have adapted Durge, albeit I don't approve of how they were planning to turn him into a human. He was scary enough as a Gen'Dai. The unused Yuuzhan Vong plan also had lots of potential, especially since they were aiming to do a more pragmatic and fluid take on the Vong. Too bad it never came to fruition.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

What vong adaptation?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'm going to get a lot of shit here for this, but I think there was a lot in the Republic Commando novels that was worth salvaging. Mind you, any adaptation of them should take into consideration that the author did indeed live up to the meme that her first name has become and tone down her more asinine ideas.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

That's fine. In fact I think it would be cool.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-11-20 10:59pm I'm going to get a lot of shit here for this, but I think there was a lot in the Republic Commando novels that was worth salvaging. Mind you, any adaptation of them should take into consideration that the author did indeed live up to the meme that her first name has become and tone down her more asinine ideas.
Even around here everyone seemed to agree that the first novel in the series was good, or at least decent.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Traviss's problem was that she was too arrogant to consider that other people had legitimate views. When you get down to it the Jedi had no option. What should they train civilians and let THEM die? The Jedi at least treated the clones as people rather than slaves.