Naval Operational Art in Star Wars

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Naval Operational Art in Star Wars

Post by chimericoncogene »

Given that a major trope in Star Wars is World War II in SPAACE, I have been considering how naval campaigns might play out in an interesting fashion.

Specifically, I've been wondering how it might be possible to pull off an USN-esque "Operational Art" in space. e.g. Operation Cartwheel in Space, etc, etc, with major sector-scale campaigns to isolate, reduce, and exercise space control over vast swathes of space. I do not know USN operational art particularly well, but would like to learn more.

Let us assume the late-war Grand Army of the Republic wishes to take, say... Saleucami and the surrounding Separatist-controlled sector. I've been able to come up with something looking like this:
1. Take hyperlane-transit systems spinward, trailing, rimward, and coreward of enemy sectors and lock them down with interdictors or mass shadow mines
2. patrol the boondocks between the hyperlanes (a few hundred million stars, heh) to get the blockade runners or enemy task forces grinding their way through to Saleucami off the hyperlane network or on minor hyperlanes/trails, slowly feeling their way from star to star without guideposts and good maps. This sounds like a mission for a zillion ARC-170s. Set up mobile dockyards and whatnot to give forces presence.
3. If the enemy pushes in, mass local forces for counterattacks and try to catch the enemy task force before they make the calculations for their next jump. However, in the boondocks, off the hyperlanes, you're as slow operationally as the enemy, which means this is a pretty tough sell unless you know where they're going next (poorly mapped hypertrails, anyone?).
4. note that you don't need to get them all; just enough to put a crimper on enemy fleet resupply.
5. note that Salecumai's industrial base may be independent enough to sustain a major war effort, so you might be looking at Downfall in Space rather than Cartwheel.

It really depends on how hyperspace is laid out, and how slow the boondocks are compared to the hyperlanes. Alternatively, multi-system or sector-scale campaigns might be impossible in Star Wars (although that does put a slight crimp on WWII in SPAACE).

Also, given how fast hyperdrives are, all four steps might run their course in a mere few hours.

Thoughts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cartwheel
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Naval Operational Art in Star Wars

Post by Solauren »

I believe you just described the Clone Wars.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.