Why even have a Death Star anymore

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Re: Why even have a Death Star anymore

Post by GuppyShark »

Batman wrote: 2020-06-24 10:01pmThe OT managed to be relatively consistent because at the time there WAS only the trilogy, not because they actually tried to.
Industrial Light & Magic was full of scale modellers and other sorts of grounded, technical people. So they put a lot of effort into making things seem consistent, ie by covering starships with modern naval greebles.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah, like Joe Johnston (who's now a director and yet inexplicably uninvolved in Star Wars now).
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-06-24 08:13pm Don't forget the U-wing jumping to hyperspace on Jedha in R1 (technically not the sequel trilogy).
To be honest; I completely forgot about that.

I think a good reason for me forgetting about the Jedha escape jump in R1:

Was that it wasn't visually flashy or insanely SoD breaking like the crazy skip jumps or from within cargo bay scenes; but rather:

"You know, we either do this or we're dead."

Like a tabletop RPG campaign player rolling a great set of dice and pulling it off and not killing the entire party.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-06-24 10:44pm For the most part it is. The EU is where shit propped up
While the old EU did mostly deserve to be cleaned out, due to LFL's attempt to make EVERY SINGLE LICENSED SW product fit into it, creating an unholy mess...

Disney fell back into the same old bad habits with the new Disney EU:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Phasma%27s_armor

Phasma had the armor polished in chromium, which had been salvaged from a Naboo yacht that had once belonged to Emperor Palpatine of the Galactic Empire, the First Order's precursor

Just look at Phasma's entry:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Phasma

It's the equivalent of a fat man having liposuction and bariatric surgery, only to keep eating a cake every night.[/quote]

And then there's this........from ROS (as if ROS wasn't a big enough mess already):

So you know that Corellian Corvette shown rising above the trees from the Resistance Base in ROS?

Turns out it's an old friend.....

Wookiepedia via Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary

Many years after the end of the Galactic Civil War, a former Imperial senator discovered the remains of the Tantive IV lying decrepit in a hangar in the Yarma system. Sympathetic to Leia's cause, the senator repaired the former consular ship and returned it to her as a gift. Leia used the vessel as her personal flagship from the Resistance base on Ajan Kloss. Given the lack of barracks on the moon, most of the Resistance support crew lived and slept aboard the Tantive IV when not on duty.[14] The starship was later used by the Resistance in the final battle against the Sith on Exegol.[12]

Like, I can't even.....

Just imagine the scene here:

IMPERIAL COMMANDER:
Lord Vader, we've searched the ship thoroughly. There are no signs of the plans anywhere. All memory banks on the ship have been triple wiped and scanning crews have found extensive smuggling compartments, all of them empty. The crew knows nothing.

LORD VADER:
Dispose of the ship and its crew. We cannot risk any issues with the Senate.

COMMANDER NOTH:
Right sir. I'll space the crew and have the ship sold to an anonymous scrapyard.

*LORD VADER stares at COMMANDER*

*sound of man choking to death*

*LORD VADER turns to Lieutenant VASH*

LORD VADER:
Commander Vash. Execute the crew and hard lock the ship's helm to this system's sun. Stay within this system until you are sure all trace of the ship has been vaporitzed.

COMMANDER VASH:
As you wish.

Remember, the Imperial Senate wasn't disbanded until later in A NEW HOPE; and even with the dissolution, the TANTIVE IV is too "hot" of a ship to let it survive; because it's an Alderaanian Senatorial Ship.

If you need a "Sanitized" craft for special operations, you can just find some smuggler, execute them under Imperial Law, and recycle their craft, and nobody will be the wiser.

Remember, we have all sorts of identifiers hidden all over cars nowadays to prevent theft. What's the Star Wars equivalent of a VIN?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

To elaborate on my previous musing, it's possible that the Falcon's hyperdrive modifications required a tradeoff in that disabling the safety mechanism necessitated precise and time-consuming navigational calculations.

Therefore, the Falcon couldn't just punch it from anywhere at any time like that U-wing did without risking a collision. Of course, that's where the Falcon's sublight speed and Han's piloting skills would come in handy.

In TFA, the Falcon jumped right out of the bigger ship's cargo bay, but that could be attributed to Unkar Plutt re-enabling the safety mechanism (which Han then disabled again before the mission to Starkiller Base).
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

In the R1 U-Wing scene, K-2 does mention that he hasn't finished the calculations (which given that he's a sentient artificial intelligence, are presumably very complex) then Cassian says "fuck it" and pulls the lever. As mentioned, it's a "jump or die" moment.

The fact that K-2 was running the numbers suggests such a jump is possible under normal circumstances, but presumably the required calculations get more and more complex the deeper you are in a gravity well and/or atmosphere (you'd have a lot more variables to work in, for instance).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The only reason I can see the Tantive IV surviving was to present to the senate, with alot of dead bodies and damage, to make it look like the ship was attacked by pirates or something.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2020-06-25 11:51am In the R1 U-Wing scene, K-2 does mention that he hasn't finished the calculations (which given that he's a sentient artificial intelligence, are presumably very complex) then Cassian says "fuck it" and pulls the lever.
Transcript of the scene:

CASSIAN ANDOR: Get us out of here! Punch it!

K-2SO is at the controls, starting the hyperdrive.

K-2SO [KAY-TUESSO]: I’m not very optimistic about our odds.

CASSIAN ANDOR: Let’s not, K. Come on! Punch it.

K-2SO [KAY-TUESSO]: I haven’t completed my calculations.

CASSIAN ANDOR: I’ll make them for you.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

There's also another reason this mistake is important.

If a minor ship accident can threaten scores of rich, well protected planets due to lol hyperspace lol...

... then how come han solo and others are flying shitbuckets in the OT?

If hyperdrives had such danger from simple malfunctions, then the shipping industry would be extremely tightly regulated by the authorities, with no room for heavily modified light freighters packing 5 times the engine for their size.

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-07-09 02:41pm There's also another reason this mistake is important.

If a minor ship accident can threaten scores of rich, well protected planets due to lol hyperspace lol...

... then how come han solo and others are flying shitbuckets in the OT?

If hyperdrives had such danger from simple malfunctions, then the shipping industry would be extremely tightly regulated by the authorities, with no room for heavily modified light freighters packing 5 times the engine for their size.
I don't think it's a hyperdrive malfunction that kills the 'Legacy Run'... it sounds more like something is wrong with hyperspace itself.

Excerpt from the first chapter, read at own risk:
Spoiler
An alarm, loud and insistent. The bridge lighting flipped into its emergency configuration—bathing everything in red. Through the front port, the swirls of hyperspace looked off, somehow. Maybe it was the emergency lighting, but they had a…reddish tinge. It looked…sickly.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

And here I thought Starship Troopers was ridiculous with the bugs on the other side of the galaxy attacking Earth and destroying many cities by shitting REALLY HARD into space. :lol:

At least that movie had Denise Richards before Charlie Sheen did.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Elfdart wrote: 2020-07-21 08:25am And here I thought Starship Troopers was ridiculous with the bugs on the other side of the galaxy attacking Earth and destroying many cities by shitting REALLY HARD into space. :lol:
I thought the bug asteroids were done by the regime to justify its war, a bit like the Reichstag Fire?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin