What kinds of security systems does SW have?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What kinds of security systems does SW have?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2020-04-09 09:15pm I was planning a target for a Star Wars based heist in an RPG, and was having trouble figuring out what types of security systems would be in place. What sorts of things are generally present? There were a few cameras and other sensors in ANH, which Han and Luke blasted when they rescue Leia, but I'm not really sure about specifics.

One relevant idea I really like, largely based on R2's hacking in the OT, is that hacking in SW is generally a contest between droid intelligences. Thus it is often about motivations and desires of the protective system as much as it is about finding technical flaws. Which is vastly more dramatically interesting than trying to deal with technical issues.
That's an interesting idea, yeah.

Using the Death Star as an example, typical high-end security seems to include:

-Patrols by blaster-armed guards, possibly augmented by patrol droids.
-Blast doors protecting certain areas.
-High-security areas with only one entry/exit point (the cell block).
-Sensors/cameras in high-security areas.
-Codes/passwords (Han is asked for his after things go haywire in the detention block, the strike team also needs one to land on Endor).

Retinal or fingerprint scanners (or both) wouldn't be implausible. Internal ray shields are another option, as deployed on the Invisible Hand to trap Anakin and Obi-wan early in RotS. If detected, an adversary might also play around with the life support or gravity controls to neutralize an intruder.

Ships and stations will likely have tractor beams to secure in-bound vessels/prevent escapes, and fighter patrols. Any unauthorized in-bound ship will likely be destroyed or searched on landing.

Beyond that, a very high-value target might have additional security, including elite combat droids or Force users. You sometimes see various creatures used as guards as well. Pick your favorite alien beast.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: What kinds of security systems does SW have?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Handprint scanners are seen in Rogue One where Cassian has to use a dead/unconscious grunt's hand to unlock the main vault door even with K2 hacking the system.

The DS cell block also had automated weapons. Just to be technical though, the guy on the radio didn't ask Han for a password, he asked "Who is this? What's your operating number?" which is not necessarily the same thing.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.