Which of these (on this list) is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

Which of these (on this list) is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

Post by Maximum7 »

Yes I know in fiction; anything is possible but I'm looking at this from an in-universe point of view. Which of these would be hard to accomplish based on known Star Wars science capabilities?

1.) EMP repelling- Something you can put on electronics that makes it impervious to EMP attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

2.) Age scanner- Something that can scan a rock or a being and tell a scientist how old it is in standard years.

3.) Psychohistory-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohistory_(fictional)

4.) Sentient cybersuit- A suit of powered armor that integrates you with an AI to work together in symbiosis

5.) Wireless citywide central air- Basically wireless outdoor air conditioning over a large area.

6.) Simulated reality- Like from The Matrix.

7.) Artificial pole shift- Something to artificially shape the poles of a planet. I don't know how it would be done but it would obviously be a punishment superweapon

8.) Ambient intelligence-ambient intelligence refers to electronic environments that are sensitive and responsive to the presence of people

9.) Bioprinter- Something that can create new organs

10.) Water synthesizer- Creates water from scratch

11.) Artificial magnetosphere-https://phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magn ... phere.html

12.) SQUID-like device -
https://www.engadget.com/2009/07/31/...-strange-days/

13.)Argon matrix laser- Laser weapon that only damages inorganic material

14.) Neural music composition- Creating music by thinking it

15.) Solar storm generator- Something that can create a solar storm

16.) Cultured plant cells- Like cultured meat but for plants

17.) Torsion field drive- Alternative FTL method

18.) Zero point energy generator

19.) Giant solar space farm

20.) Creation of mirror life
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_life

You can pick only one if you want.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Which of these (on this list) is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

Post by LadyTevar »

1. This is a good question, as we see they have weaponized Ion Pulse weapons that shut down a ship entirely. Is this the same as EMP?

2. We have yet to see archaeological digs in movies, although there are such things in SWTOR. It is very possible they have access to carbon dating devices.

3. Another good question. Palpatine was very good at manipulating situations to his advantage, but is that psychology or Force power?

4. They've had millennia to create this, but we never see it. They have droids, tho. Perhaps that took the place AI-suits?

5. DUH? Look at Corsucant. They'd have to have that tech, just to heat/cool those massive skyscrapers!

6. No. They have 3D comms, but we've never seen holodecks, much less Matrix-tech.

7. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO. The only place I've seen poles shifted was in Piers Antony's "Apprentice Adept" series.

8. We see lights turning on and off as people walk through Corsucant's buildings, so... Yes?

9. We see metal replacements of limbs, and Bacta tanks seem able to heal some injuries (do we know what Luke's injuries were besides frostbite?). Organ replacement may be possible, but we've not seen it done.

10. See Tattooine's water collectors? Maybe not from 'nothing', but the tech is there.

11. They create planetary shields, which probably could be shifted to protect from harmful solar rays.

12. Link to the SQUID is 404. We have seen seafaring vessels built like squids, we have seen droids built like squids, so if that's what you're talking about, then yes.

13. We've not seen what they use for laser blasters, turbolasers, or other weapons. So, Argon matrix is possible, along with all the other methods of creating laser/maser/phaser weapons.

14. There are psionic species in the Galaxy, as well as Force Sensitives. Music can be made many ways.

15. No, we've not seen a solar storm generator, but we have seen things that can adjust planetary weather patterns. We do know they have pathways through Black Hole vortexes

16. Non-canon, but yes there's been vat-grown meat/veggies in stories.

17. Have they ever explained how SW FLT works? They can travel solar systems in a number of weeks without going Hyper (The Falcon's trip to Bespin). Was that sub-Light, or just sub-Hyper?

18. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Wrong Fandom.

19. We've not seen it, but they have the tech for solar farms. Scaling it up would be simple, they would just need to find a place to set up the collectors without blocking sunlight to the orbiting planets.

20. We've not seen mirror-life organisms, but it's a big galaxy, and they could be out there.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Maximum7
Youngling

Re: Which of these (on this list) is beyond the capabilities of known Star Wars science?

Post by Maximum7 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-01-31 02:31pm 1. This is a good question, as we see they have weaponized Ion Pulse weapons that shut down a ship entirely. Is this the same as EMP?

2. We have yet to see archaeological digs in movies, although there are such things in SWTOR. It is very possible they have access to carbon dating devices.

3. Another good question. Palpatine was very good at manipulating situations to his advantage, but is that psychology or Force power?

4. They've had millennia to create this, but we never see it. They have droids, tho. Perhaps that took the place AI-suits?

5. DUH? Look at Corsucant. They'd have to have that tech, just to heat/cool those massive skyscrapers!

6. No. They have 3D comms, but we've never seen holodecks, much less Matrix-tech.

7. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO. The only place I've seen poles shifted was in Piers Antony's "Apprentice Adept" series.

8. We see lights turning on and off as people walk through Corsucant's buildings, so... Yes?

9. We see metal replacements of limbs, and Bacta tanks seem able to heal some injuries (do we know what Luke's injuries were besides frostbite?). Organ replacement may be possible, but we've not seen it done.

10. See Tattooine's water collectors? Maybe not from 'nothing', but the tech is there.

11. They create planetary shields, which probably could be shifted to protect from harmful solar rays.

12. Link to the SQUID is 404. We have seen seafaring vessels built like squids, we have seen droids built like squids, so if that's what you're talking about, then yes.

13. We've not seen what they use for laser blasters, turbolasers, or other weapons. So, Argon matrix is possible, along with all the other methods of creating laser/maser/phaser weapons.

14. There are psionic species in the Galaxy, as well as Force Sensitives. Music can be made many ways.

15. No, we've not seen a solar storm generator, but we have seen things that can adjust planetary weather patterns. We do know they have pathways through Black Hole vortexes

16. Non-canon, but yes there's been vat-grown meat/veggies in stories.

17. Have they ever explained how SW FLT works? They can travel solar systems in a number of weeks without going Hyper (The Falcon's trip to Bespin). Was that sub-Light, or just sub-Hyper?

18. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Wrong Fandom.

19. We've not seen it, but they have the tech for solar farms. Scaling it up would be simple, they would just need to find a place to set up the collectors without blocking sunlight to the orbiting planets.

20. We've not seen mirror-life organisms, but it's a big galaxy, and they could be out there.
Yes. EMP is Electro-Magnetic pulse. Thanks for the in-depth analysis. SQUID is from the movie Strange Days , it’s a device that records memories and allows them to be played back.

So back to my original question. Which one is beyond the capabilities of Star Wars technology and science?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Maximum7 wrote: 2020-01-31 12:52pm Yes I know in fiction; anything is possible but I'm looking at this from an in-universe point of view. Which of these would be hard to accomplish based on known Star Wars science capabilities?

1.) EMP repelling- Something you can put on electronics that makes it impervious to EMP attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
Never specifically shown but implied due to various ships in various situations throwing mega/gigaton worth of energy at each other. I'd say 'impervious' is a dubious level but surely shielded electronics just to be able to work on outerspace reliably.

2.) Age scanner- Something that can scan a rock or a being and tell a scientist how old it is in standard years.
No my knowledge, they've never shown much in the way of hand held sensors for ground use. In ESB they had a hand held scanner that was more a 'life detector' than anything else. If it had more functions, we don't know. We know they have thermal sensors and UV sensors built into Clone Trooper's huds. But anything not military oriented is never really touched on. Again in ESB we know that "Comscan" can detect shields protecting area's of a planet it from across the system and analyse them for strength. Ozzel came out of hyperspace "to close to the system."

So they have the capacity to remote detect and judge energy levels from a very long distance. Does that translate to some insta-carbon dating machine? I don't know. I would think that if such a thing is possible, they have the computing and engineering capacity to make it but it's never been shown that I'm aware of.

Yeah, if you go SWTOR or KOTOR, you get archaeological sites but I don't remember anything specifically mentioned.

LOL, while I love the Foundation series, lol no.

Do they have the capacity? Sure, use the Force. But... the future is always in motion so, who knows.

4.) Sentient cybersuit- A suit of powered armor that integrates you with an AI to work together in symbiosis
Are you thinking an Iron Man suit, or like Ghost in the Shell type thing?

Do they specifically have that? No. Could they do it? I'm guessing yes. Between having sentient droids and the ability to make robotic limbs that look realistic (Luke's hand). They have the tech, but have we seen the actual things in a movie? No.
5.) Wireless citywide central air- Basically wireless outdoor air conditioning over a large area.
Never shown but heavily implied with Coruscant.
They have sentient robots, holograms, and computers that can calculate routes for super luminal speeds that are mind breaking. So, sure, I'm saying they have the capacity even though they don't seem to do it.
7.) Artificial pole shift- Something to artificially shape the poles of a planet. I don't know how it would be done but it would obviously be a punishment superweapon
Ok, not sure this is possible anywhere.
8.) Ambient intelligence-ambient intelligence refers to electronic environments that are sensitive and responsive to the presence of people
So again, sentient droids, so I'm sure they can do facial recognition to pick up emotions. While I'm not sure if it's been shown specifically, their tech level implies they can.
I actually recall from the ROTS novel that the clones had 'spare parts'. Whether or not it's printed or 'grown' I'm not sure.
Like a power cell or something else?

They definitely have the tech for a power cell. Whether or not they use such archaic tech is something different. They have moisture vaporates as a farming technique in desert environments.
My head cannon explanation for the basis of Ray shields. So, sure.
In the AOTC novel, it's heavily implied if not outright stated that the actual conversion of General Grevious to a 'robotic/droid state' changed his mental facilities to hate Jedi more, be more compliant with his superiors, all without the awareness of Grevious himself.

So yes, I'm going with they have the capacity to do it.
They have restraining bolts. A control device specifically for droids. So yes.
They have sentient droids, so yes they have the capacity.
Hmmm... Old cannon but they make repulsors that need gravitational knots from Black Holes. If you can get close to a BH you can get close to a star to manipulate it. Even low tech (than SW) could set up thousands/millions of mirrors around a star to divert some of it's energy. So while it's never show specifically, I'm going with they are capable of doing it if they want to.
I don't see why not. They have pretty good cloning tech, not sure why they couldn't.
For all I know that is how hyperspace works... or not.
For all I know that is how hyper matter works... or not.
Like a giant O'Neil cylinder with farms? Yeah, pretty sure they're capable of making gigantic space stations and putting whatever they want in them.
Might be the Force, I don't know.

Anyway, if the underlying question is do they have the tech and knowledge for most of this? Sure. Is any of it specifically shown in the movies? None. But their tech level does imply most of it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Knife wrote: 2020-01-31 08:44pm

Do they have the capacity? Sure, use the Force. But... the future is always in motion so, who knows.
From memory, psychohistory was incapable of predicting individuals. Only general population trends. Which means a large change causes by a small group of people would break it. For example, Palpatine forming the Empire or Luke and Vader ending it by killing him.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-01-31 09:27pm
Knife wrote: 2020-01-31 08:44pm

From memory, psychohistory was incapable of predicting individuals. Only general population trends. Which means a large change causes by a small group of people would break it. For example, Palpatine forming the Empire or Luke and Vader ending it by killing him.
Even in the books, Psychohistory was a failure and a joke. It took the Second Foundations to keep it going like some weird ass Section 31 and was still derailed by the Mule.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Psychohistory sounds like something that could only work when everyone working with it are unaware of its existance and thus unable to affect the results.

The problem with predicting human behaviour over long term is that human behaviour is ultimately chaotic in nature (in the mathematical defination of chaotic). there's literally too many factors at play to predict human behaviour with any degree of accuracity.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That's just human behaviour. I don't recall the Foundation series having any aliens, so psychohistory was only shown to work on humans. So all the aliens in Star Wars would probably break it.
Maximum7 wrote: 2020-01-31 12:52pm 13.)Argon matrix laser- Laser weapon that only damages inorganic material
Tell me more about how this operates. Is there some technobabble property of the laser that means it won't damage organic material ?
Or are we talking about sensors that detect organic material and refuse to fire ?

How much damage to inorganic material are we talking about ?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-02-01 09:58pm That's just human behaviour. I don't recall the Foundation series having any aliens, so psychohistory was only shown to work on humans. So all the aliens in Star Wars would probably break it.
Maximum7 wrote: 2020-01-31 12:52pm 13.)Argon matrix laser- Laser weapon that only damages inorganic material
Tell me more about how this operates. Is there some technobabble property of the laser that means it won't damage organic material ?
Or are we talking about sensors that detect organic material and refuse to fire ?

I got it from the animated Spider-Man series. It basically goes threw organic matter without damaging it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Maximum7 wrote: 2020-02-01 11:08pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2020-02-01 09:58pm That's just human behaviour. I don't recall the Foundation series having any aliens, so psychohistory was only shown to work on humans. So all the aliens in Star Wars would probably break it.

I got it from the animated Spider-Man series. It basically goes threw organic matter without damaging it.
The thing is that Laser is just really, really focused light and as far as photons are conserned there's no difference between organic and inorganic material, so a laser that goes thru organic material without damaging at all must work thru techobabble.

Also what defination of "organic" were they using as technically speaking all plastics, leather and cloth are organic as their structures are hydrocarbon based aka the chemical defination of "organic".

EDIT:What isn't considered organic in chemistry is minerals, some gasses, ceramics and metals (note that oil is considered organic).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Maximum7 wrote: 2020-01-31 12:52pm 1.) EMP repelling- Something you can put on electronics that makes it impervious to EMP attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
Hardening against EMP attacks is something we can do today; one assumes Star Wars can do the same and does so routinely in military and other critical applications. Literal blanket immunity is a no-limits fallacy.
I believe something like this is mentioned in Shadows of the Empire - if not, you can get here pretty easily through machine learning, image recognition, and carbon dating.
No reason why not. This a theory problem, not a technical one, and they've got a sufficiently-large sample dataset to work from.
What does this add over a good battle droid? The usual reason for combining AI with integrated people is that you don't trust the AI or it's not fully autonomous; neither applies here. But sort of; technically doable, but Star Wars doesn't really like disembodied AI programs very much, it seems.
Planetary weather control is mentioned in a few places; Coruscant, for example.
Trivially, something like this is used for accelerated training of the Republic clone army.
I've got nothing on this one.
Further details are needed. Any examples you'd care to share?
Mentioned in some of the Legends material - the MedStar books, I think. Otherwise, seamless mechanical bioequivalent devices obviously exist, and are going to be strictly superior to grown replacements barring some specific problem.
Trivial given the existence of industrial replicators, but also pointless given how easily they could just go get some from the local asteroid belt.
One assumes something like this is required for terraforming operations.
Link is broken. What is this?
I can't think of any even slightly coherent basis for this; organic material isn't made out of different stuff than inorganic.
Probably doable.
Probably. Why, though? Whatever energy I use upsetting the enemy's sun, I could also just use to shoot at the enemy.
Yes, presumably done regularly in e.g. Coruscant.
What is this? Why is it better than hyperdrive?
What is this? Why is it better than hypermatter reactors?
Trivial, and presumable done regularly in e.g. Coruscant.
Probably doable. Hell, probably found naturally on some planet or other.
[/quote]
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Esquire wrote: 2020-02-02 10:00am
Maximum7 wrote: 2020-01-31 12:52pm 1.) EMP repelling- Something you can put on electronics that makes it impervious to EMP attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
Hardening against EMP attacks is something we can do today; one assumes Star Wars can do the same and does so routinely in military and other critical applications. Literal blanket immunity is a no-limits fallacy.
I believe something like this is mentioned in Shadows of the Empire - if not, you can get here pretty easily through machine learning, image recognition, and carbon dating.
No reason why not. This a theory problem, not a technical one, and they've got a sufficiently-large sample dataset to work from.
What does this add over a good battle droid? The usual reason for combining AI with integrated people is that you don't trust the AI or it's not fully autonomous; neither applies here. But sort of; technically doable, but Star Wars doesn't really like disembodied AI programs very much, it seems.
Planetary weather control is mentioned in a few places; Coruscant, for example.
Trivially, something like this is used for accelerated training of the Republic clone army.
I've got nothing on this one.
Further details are needed. Any examples you'd care to share?
Mentioned in some of the Legends material - the MedStar books, I think. Otherwise, seamless mechanical bioequivalent devices obviously exist, and are going to be strictly superior to grown replacements barring some specific problem.
Trivial given the existence of industrial replicators, but also pointless given how easily they could just go get some from the local asteroid belt.
One assumes something like this is required for terraforming operations.
Link is broken. What is this?
I can't think of any even slightly coherent basis for this; organic material isn't made out of different stuff than inorganic.
Probably doable.
Probably. Why, though? Whatever energy I use upsetting the enemy's sun, I could also just use to shoot at the enemy.
Yes, presumably done regularly in e.g. Coruscant.
What is this? Why is it better than hyperdrive?
What is this? Why is it better than hypermatter reactors?
Trivial, and presumable done regularly in e.g. Coruscant.
Probably doable. Hell, probably found naturally on some planet or other.
[/quote]

Awesome Esquire. You really opened my eyes. The SQUID is from the movie Strange Days

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadg ... ange-days/