Is their anything to suggest that smaller than nanotech (Picotech or Femtotech) exists in Star Wars?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

Is their anything to suggest that smaller than nanotech (Picotech or Femtotech) exists in Star Wars?

Post by Maximum7 »

Is their any evidence in Legends or Canon that picotechnology or femtotechnology exists in Star Wars and just is never mentioned because it is not important to the story? Nanotech exists. It’s been mentioned many times and it makes no sense that scientists wouldn’t try to go smaller. Is their anything that exists in Star Wars that could only exists with the presence of this tech. NOT the Force. That is outside the realm of physics and science.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Is their anything to suggest that smaller than nanotech (Picotech or Femtotech) exists in Star Wars?

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I can't begin to answer your question because I am way too distracted with trying to figure out how you managed to simultaneously create a thread AND respond to that thread with a quote of your previous post, in such a way that is breaking something deep in the forum's architecture (seemingly deleting the thread title from the forum's archiving system). It's really quite amazing.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Is their anything to suggest that smaller than nanotech (Picotech or Femtotech) exists in Star Wars?

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Nanotech is probably about the smallest size we could reasonably build anything mechanical. Anything smaller is into the realm of chemistry and atomic physics.

Nanotechnology itself is also generally overblown in the first place. Something nice about Star Wars is that they avoid overusing it, as R2-D2 hasn't been replaced by a cloud of nanodroids. If this smaller scale was more effective, evolution would never have directed so many life forms into operating on a much larger scale. Mike has a fairly good page on the old site about some of these problems.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2019-12-09 05:39pm I can't begin to answer your question because I am way too distracted with trying to figure out how you managed to simultaneously create a thread AND respond to that thread with a quote of your previous post, in such a way that is breaking something deep in the forum's architecture (seemingly deleting the thread title from the forum's archiving system). It's really quite amazing.
It was an accident. I don’t know what happened. I’m distracted at your rudeness.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

You made a pretty basic blunder my friend and this forum doesn’t treat people with kid gloves
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Duplicate post deleted. Moving on, no, such things are basically magical.

I see you've asked this question on a few forums in the last 24 hours. Ultimately what we mean when we say picotech is very much subject to debate? Within the overall context of star wars, we're not given engineering details with a few exceptions such as Dr Saxton's work; some have used picotech as a description for creation of exotic atoms, which would certainly include the imaginary-mass hypermatter.

Very few imagine the idea of 'picotech' or 'femtotech' as 'nanobots but smaller' (indeed our popular image of nanobots is largely bullshit), but creation of exotic atoms would be picotech and certainly at least in legends such things exist.

I suspect you're looking for, in the terms of Red Dwarf, little itty-bitty robots, in which case, Star Wars is blessedly free of such things.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth