Eclipse resized

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

kaijudirector
Redshirt

Eclipse resized

Post by kaijudirector »

Greetings, y'all, this is my first post.

Once upon a time, in the 90s, West End Games stated that the Executor's size was 8km. However as time went on this was retconned to 12.5km and finally the now-canon 19km to fit with the ILM models scales n The Empire Strikes Back.

Now let's go back to the 90s and WEG. When Dark Empire and the Eclipse appeared, WEG stated that she was 17.5km, more than double the size of the then-8km Executor. However, unlike the Exec, the Eclipse was never resized though it was, I've heard, meant to be bigger than the Exec.

So with this information in mind, how big would the Eclipse be if she was rescaled the same way as the Executor was across the years?
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Eclipse resized

Post by tezunegari »

Executor length
O: 8 km
R1: 12.5km (+56.25%)
R2: 19 km (+137.5%)

Eclipse length
O: 17,5 km
R1: 27.34 km
R2: 41.56 km

Result: The rescaled Eclipse would be half (R1) or two-thirds (R2) the width of the Supremacy in length.

O - Original
R1 - Retcon 1
R2 - Retcon 2
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It should be noted though that even though it's 2,5 km shorter the Eclipse is still bigger then the Executor thanks to their very different structures, The Executor (and by extension it was the namesake for) has long and wide sure but not that tall (compared to the other dimensions that is), while the Eclipse had a base hull structure more akin to much smaller ISDs not mention that large structure under the main hull at front that housed (presumebly) support for the superlaser.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Exactly, the Eclipse is still many times the volume of the Executor even without a similar resizing.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'd prefer it if the Eclipse was resized in proportion to the Executor. Anything that carries a powerful superlaser should be insanely huge, even for an SSD.
SAAA
Redshirt

Post by SAAA »

You are probably talking in reference to this image?

URL=https://s49.photobucket.com/user/CanisD ... e.png.html

I saw it years ago on wolfsshipyard' site, also tells the same basically on image description:
http://www.wolfsshipyard.com/starwars_Imp.htm

But as other people here already said the Eclipse is still far bigger than the Executor even when still 17.5 km in length.
I estimated once over 5 times as voluminous in a game stats: if an ISD was 1 mass the Executor was 250 and Eclipse about 1200 times as much.
It's large enough to fit a far more powerful reactor that powers the axial superlaser, one that could emulate the "single reactor discharge" from Rogue One over Jedha.

Btw I'm still pissed at the 19 km Executor retcon rather than 17.6 km as was proposed by Saxton: was the analysis wrong? Maybe today with blue ray footage we can find out more precise values…
I don't exactly believe any other "canon" sources either as we got a ton of wrong statements over the years and these guys had access to models and whatnot.
At least the Death Stars are finally the size they should be, and newer ships benefit from being digital models with immutable measures.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SAAA wrote: 2019-11-19 06:12pm You are probably talking in reference to this image?

URL=https://s49.photobucket.com/user/CanisD ... e.png.html

I saw it years ago on wolfsshipyard' site, also tells the same basically on image description:
http://www.wolfsshipyard.com/starwars_Imp.htm

But as other people here already said the Eclipse is still far bigger than the Executor even when still 17.5 km in length.
I estimated once over 5 times as voluminous in a game stats: if an ISD was 1 mass the Executor was 250 and Eclipse about 1200 times as much.
It's large enough to fit a far more powerful reactor that powers the axial superlaser, one that could emulate the "single reactor discharge" from Rogue One over Jedha.

Btw I'm still pissed at the 19 km Executor retcon rather than 17.6 km as was proposed by Saxton: was the analysis wrong? Maybe today with blue ray footage we can find out more precise values…
I don't exactly believe any other "canon" sources either as we got a ton of wrong statements over the years and these guys had access to models and whatnot.
At least the Death Stars are finally the size they should be, and newer ships benefit from being digital models with immutable measures.
I think Saxon's estimate was based on the Executor being 11 ISDs long (which would be 17.6 km more or less as ISD is about one mile or 1600 meters long) but that was always a bit fuzzy and the Executor could just as well be 12 ISDs long (which would make it around 19 km long) so Saxon probably used the lower end intentionally to be conservative.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n