Canon C,G,S

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Canon C,G,S

Post by WhiteLion »

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask what the letters attributed to certain works meant by order of canon meant. I read about canon C, G and S. Exactly what does it mean?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Canon C,G,S

Post by Vympel »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-27 08:52am Hi everyone, I wanted to ask what the letters attributed to certain works meant by order of canon meant. I read about canon C, G and S. Exactly what does it mean?
It's from the old canon before the Disney purchase.

G-level canon (for George Lucas) meant the highest level canon. The films, the novelizations of the films, and The Clone Wars. Nothing else.
C-level canon (for continutiy, IIRC) was for basically the entire EU. Below G-level.
S-level canon (for secondary, IIRC) was basically older type licensed / EU material of ... uncertain canonicity.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

thank you, currently instead? As far as I know all the material after 2014 is canon, including novels, excluding only comics and manuals, is it correct or wrong?
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Theoretically ALL material released since Disney reset the canon is equal in ranking. Realistically, it's more like movies at the top, everything else below. It's very unlikely that the filmmakers will be beholden to other media, except for maybe at the most extreme level (like not bringing in a character that was killed off in a novel or comic).
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Basically: everything is probably canon unless explicitly noted to not be. The current run of Marvel comics are definitely canon.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
DesertFly

Post by DesertFly »

Yup, but still with the caveat that directors and screenwriters will write and direct what they want, and the books and comics will scramble to wrap their stories around what is filmed. There might be some consideration given to major plot points and facts from the other media, but I wouldn't expect that the filmmakers are constrained by them. Honestly, I wouldn't want them to be, either. I love me some deep canon, but I want the best movies I can get. If that means ignoring some minutiae from other media, so be it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I mean, to a certain extent it's just common sense. A ten-page children's book? Probably not canon. The script used for the movie? Pretty damn authoritative. If the children's book has Kylo Ren doing a Mission: Impossible face-pull to reveal that he was Jar Jar Binks all along... yeah. No.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Vympel wrote: 2019-09-27 08:54am
WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-27 08:52am Hi everyone, I wanted to ask what the letters attributed to certain works meant by order of canon meant. I read about canon C, G and S. Exactly what does it mean?

G-level canon (for George Lucas) meant the highest level canon. The films, the novelizations of the films, and The Clone Wars. Nothing else.
C-level canon (for continutiy, IIRC) was for basically the entire EU. Below G-level.
S-level canon (for secondary, IIRC) was basically older type licensed / EU material of ... uncertain canonicity.
Minor correction: The Clone Wars was T-Canon. Above the books/comics/games/etc., but still below the movies.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-09-30 10:49am

Minor correction: The Clone Wars was T-Canon. Above the books/comics/games/etc., but still below the movies.
Notably, TCW is *still* canon-- the Tartovosky show isn't for some reason, but the CGI one is. So basically anything from before the cutoff that was actually seen on screen, Star Wars Holiday Special aside, and the novelizations of the films, are still canon; everything else isn't anymore, but had different levels.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

So everything, including comics, animations, books and technical manuals produced after 2014 is canon?
DesertFly

Post by DesertFly »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-30 07:46pm So everything, including comics, animations, books and technical manuals produced after 2014 is canon?
Pretty much, with the already discussed caveats. Not that I think it's a particularly great idea to throw out canon info in mobile games and such, especially because it seems like the developers of those games just grabbed whatever they wanted from Legends without any thought of how it would fit into a broader overarching universe, but that is just emblematic in my mind of the way the Lucasfilm story group has been too hands off with the overall story.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

It was a sensible speech, if it were just for me I would only pay attention to the content of the material with the SW brand that is produced, in order to render all the material canon and avoid making the fans go crazy with sudden exclusions of material that is anything but scarce value for those who really love a series.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-10-02 03:03am It was a sensible speech, if it were just for me I would only pay attention to the content of the material with the SW brand that is produced, in order to render all the material canon and avoid making the fans go crazy with sudden exclusions of material that is anything but scarce value for those who really love a series.
Errr, there's a LOT of material out there "with the SW brand". Should a Hostess Twinkies ad in a comic book showing Luke Skywalker winning Darth Vader and stormtroopers over with the power of the Twinkie be canon? Obviously not.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

I meant the stories that line the plot, comics and novels etc.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-09-30 10:49am

God, I keep forgetting.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/