The Wandering Alderaan (RAR!)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Zor
Sith Acolyte

The Wandering Alderaan (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario Grand Moff Tarkin stands on the bridge of the Death Star overlooking Alderaan with Princess Leia with intent on destroying it. However just as the Death Star is about to fire some strange sensor readings are detected around the planet. The sensor techs take note of them and they look like something which is familiar, but exactly what it is can't possibly be the case given the scale. Then two seconds before the superlaser fires the planet suddenly accelerates off jumping to hyperspace, leaving that colossal energy beam to continue on to ruin someone's day a few thousand years down the line. Leia is as flabbergasted as Wilhuff at this, if more positively. A day latter the planet has appeared somewhere along the Hydian Way with artificial suns illuminating it's sky with Bail Organa transmitting a message decrying Palpatine's unprovoked attack on his world. It's world engines primed to jump away at a moment's notice.

What happens?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Wandering Alderaan (RAR!)

Post by FaxModem1 »

World Engines? Like, the world engines from Shadow Raiders/War Planets? Have they always been on Alderaan, or did the Rebel Alliance build them?

Either way, a lot of planetary governments are going to be screaming for the plans for those so that they can have their own world engines in case of the Death Star coming along. Palpatine now faces the fact that he just dissolved the Senate, and his big bad superweapon looks utterly impotent in the face of the new technology Alderaan has.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Palpatine also has to deal with the fact that you could literally load up Alderaan with massive amounts of hardware, and jump it to say, Coruscant, and launch a full scale liberation of the planet.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Indeed. Id imagine a full network of planetary defence ion cannons and turbolasers plus a planet shield would make a mobile Alderaan almost as dangerous as the Death Star itself.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The artificial suns could potientaly be weaponized too. I can imagine that a Star Destroyer hitting one of those would not be good for the star destroyer. Or the Death Star for that matter.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Suddenly that Rebel General's line in Rogue One about "the Empire has the ability to cause destruction on a massive scale, we do not" just changed massively.

Going by Dodonna's line about the DS outgunning half the Imperial Starfleet, the Imperials would need to mass a lot of ships to face down Alderaan, which leaves them vulnerable to the Rebel fleet elsewhere - especially if Alderaan is mobile.

This might actually make the war bloodier though. If more systems declare themselves for the Rebellion, realising they could have easily shared Alderaan's almost fate, then you might suddenly have a full-scale galactic civil war, with the Empire going all-out to stop it.

I do wonder what effect this would have on the heroes though - will the DS stay in the Alderaan system, allowing Luke, Han and Obi-Wan to board it and rescue the Princess?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.