Disney's Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Disney's Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures

Post by tezunegari »

Really, Disney?
Are you fucking kidding me?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Disney's Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures

Post by Khaat »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-12 10:45am Really, Disney?
If you can't value the original and not "reimagine" what happened... you aren't George... Lucas? Ah, here it is in the contract: "successors and assigns". Yep, it's legit. :wanker:

Senator "Princess Leia" Organa was bad-ass enough without changing what actually happened, thanks!
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Is it okay that I don't hate this?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Was there ever a time in the OT where Leia was made to look incompetent? So why do that to Luke?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Because the Force is female.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I mean that's pretty much what happened in the original film with some slight exaggeration. I don't see a problem.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'll have to jump in on the "I kinda like it" crowd. I have to say that I smiled at her facial expressions, which fits her personality exactly. A sarcastic smart-ass who doesn't tolerate bullshit and can be a real badass when she needs to be.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

The fact that reheated stuff from forty years ago looks better than pretty much anything else done under the Star Wars license in more recent history is unbelievably funny and sad in equal measure.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-02-12 02:25pm I mean that's pretty much what happened in the original film with some slight exaggeration. I don't see a problem.
Except that Luke is depicted as fumbling moron who can't operate a blaster rifle or gets tangled in his own grappling line.

The speeder bike scene was close enough to OT Endor (though Luke reminded Leia to jam the coms there instead of just flapping his face in the wind)

So, why all the funny exaggerations at the cost of Luke? Why not spread the love around?
No scene with Leia getting handed her metal bikini and going "I am supposed to wear that" with a face that promises murder?
Or Leia/Han/Chewie taking a look around the trash compector picking a banana peel out of their hair?

Those scenes two scenes with Luke could have been handled way better.
Just give him a dopey face while he shoots the blaster rifle and during the grappling line scene have Leia push him aside to fight the Stormtroopers while he stands there with the grappling line in one hand, the other hand pointing at the way out while having a deadpan look on his face yelling "You coming or not?"

I kinda like the art style but not how that Prison break scene was handled...
Here's a comparison of how the scenes compare and why the original is so much better at establishing the characters and their dynamics:

Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-12 03:18pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-02-12 02:25pm I mean that's pretty much what happened in the original film with some slight exaggeration. I don't see a problem.
Except that Luke is depicted as fumbling moron who can't operate a blaster rifle or gets tangled in his own grappling line.
Yes, an exaggeration. IIRC Leia does steal his blaster in the cell block and does shove him out of the way to shoot things when he's fiddling with the grappling line.

As for why Leia doesn't get her own treatment because it's a 'girl power' video. Oh noez!
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Its not really a girl power video (if that was their intention). Its a video by someone who doesn't understand power at all. In the original Leia is a senior diplomat at her early twenties who is playing galactic power politics, is an integral player in the greatest espionage mission of her faction, is standing toe to toe with the likes of Darth Vader and Moff Tarkin (the #2 and #3 most powerful people in the Empire and mass murders to boot) and keeping her cool without flinching, and endures interrogation and possible torture and still remains as steadfast and committed as ever. And she does a fair bit of physical hero stuff too.

But hey, she didn't pew pew enough so she is weakling. That's not the worst part of the video though. You don't have to tear those around you down to build yourself up. This just makes Leia look like a petty and emotional child, because we know how she original comported herself, and we know the actual skillets and competencies of her companions.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Khaat wrote: 2019-02-12 11:03am
If you can't value the original and not "reimagine" what happened... you aren't George... Lucas? Ah, here it is in the contract: "successors and assigns". Yep, it's legit. :wanker:

Senator "Princess Leia" Organa was bad-ass enough without changing what actually happened, thanks!
Seriously. You are - I assume - a grown ass adults. And you're complaining about the depiction of characters in a fucking series of cartoon shorts expressly made for children. Jesus Christ.

And that fucking loser mental defective who made an entire youtube comparison video about it? The clickbait grift is strong.

The video's fine. It's a reinterpretation that is by definition exaggerated because its a goddamn cartoon short made for children to enjoy. Christ.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Vympel wrote: 2019-02-13 02:36am
Khaat wrote: 2019-02-12 11:03am

Seriously. You are - I assume - a grown ass adults. And you're complaining about the depiction of characters in a fucking series of cartoon shorts expressly made for children. Jesus Christ.

And that fucking loser mental defective who made an entire youtube comparison video about it? The clickbait grift is strong.

The video's fine. It's a reinterpretation that is by definition exaggerated because its a goddamn cartoon short made for children to enjoy. Christ.
Yes, I am an adult. What does that have to do with the situation?
I am pissed off about yet another Star Wars product that falsely uplifts an already strong female character by making a male character look like a lobotomized farm yokel.
You can make a funny scene without turning Luke Skywalker into a lobotomized farm yokel.

Just give him a dopey face while shooting the blaster, one eye squeezed shut and his tongue sticking out while barely hitting until Leia grabs his blaster.
And the grappling line scene?
Have her focus on blasting the following stormtroopers while he tries to tell her "I have a way out" but she ignores him. He reacts with a deadpan "are you serious?" face while grabbing her and getting out and she makes a "okay, you win this time" face at him.

There.
Luke no longer is a lobotomized yokel and the comedy is still there, maybe a bit more subdued.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-13 06:41am Yes, I am an adult. What does that have to do with the situation?
I am pissed off about yet another Star Wars product that falsely uplifts an already strong female character by making a male character look like a lobotomized farm yokel.
You can make a funny scene without turning Luke Skywalker into a lobotomized farm yokel.
Again: its for kids. Not everything needs to be a serious referendum on whether a fictional character is being somehow disrespected. I mean Jesus, Luke basically is a yokel - he's the one that created the situation in the first place by blasting the bridge controls, and it's somewhat easy to miss but Leia is literally covering him for about twenty seconds while he messes around with getting the line out for his grappling hook. It's ripe for a comedic take.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Vympel wrote: 2019-02-13 07:11am
tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-13 06:41am Yes, I am an adult. What does that have to do with the situation?
Again: its for kids. Not everything needs to be a serious referendum on whether a fictional character is being somehow disrespected. I mean Jesus, Luke basically is a yokel - he's the one that created the situation in the first place by blasting the bridge controls, and it's somewhat easy to miss but Leia is literally covering him for about twenty seconds while he messes around with getting the line out for his grappling hook. It's ripe for a comedic take.
Luke shot the door/bridge controls because there were Stormtroopers five seconds away from catching them... and Leia told him there's no lock for the door.

And that scene being ripe for comedic take? Sure... but you can do that without turning Luke into an incompetent WITH HIS OWN TOOLS.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-13 07:27amAnd that scene being ripe for comedic take? Sure... but you can do that without turning Luke into an incompetent WITH HIS OWN TOOLS.
Is it so hard to believe that a farmboy might bumble in what is presumably one of his first times being shot at in a huge space fortress?

Perhaps it would help you to think of it as setting up the grand theme of faith over technology.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

To nitpick, it wasn't his own tools. The grapple was from a commander stormtrooper gunbelt. Not his stuff. Where's he going to swing on Tatooine?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-13 07:27am Luke shot the door/bridge controls because there were Stormtroopers five seconds away from catching them... and Leia told him there's no lock for the door.
Who cares? He's still half-assing and bumbling his way through a crisis, which is pretty much what created the situation in the first place. Luke is not a cool action hero in ANH, and he never really was in the rest of the OT either except for parts of RotJ.
And that scene being ripe for comedic take? Sure... but you can do that without turning Luke into an incompetent WITH HIS OWN TOOLS.
Like Crazedwraith said, they're not his own tools. Like I don't know why this is an issue. You are treating a fun children's short as some sort of desecration. It's ridiculous - like literally every other Galaxy of Adventures they've done takes liberties with the source material. It's for fun.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-02-13 04:05pm To nitpick, it wasn't his own tools. The grapple was from a commander stormtrooper gunbelt. Not his stuff. Where's he going to swing on Tatooine?
Didn't know that toolbelt was from his Stormtrooper disguise. It meshed well with the whitish tunic and his immediate grip towards it instead of checking what the belt had always made me thing it was part of this desert outfit.

Where to use a grappling line, a climbing tool, on Tatooine?
Maybe in the Mesa where Luke was ambushed by Sandpeople on his trip to Ben Kenobi?
Or one like Ben's Mesa or the Mushroom Mesa shown during the Boonta Eve Pod Race?
Beggar's Canyon?
Tatooine isn't just sand.
Vympel wrote: 2019-02-14 07:03am
tezunegari wrote: 2019-02-13 07:27am Luke shot the door/bridge controls because there were Stormtroopers five seconds away from catching them... and Leia told him there's no lock for the door.
Who cares? He's still half-assing and bumbling his way through a crisis, which is pretty much what created the situation in the first place. Luke is not a cool action hero in ANH, and he never really was in the rest of the OT either except for parts of RotJ.
Like Crazedwraith said, they're not his own tools. Like I don't know why this is an issue. You are treating a fun children's short as some sort of desecration. It's ridiculous - like literally every other Galaxy of Adventures they've done takes liberties with the source material. It's for fun.
Turning characters into morons for comedy is good in a parody... I highly doubt this is supposed to be a parody.

At least in the OT Luke was competent enough to use the tools he had while being in a situation he had no experience or training for.
He could shoot a blaster and use the tools he had to get out of a situation he got himself into wihtout looking like a lobotomized moron.

And if it is supposed to be funny by exaggerating the characters for comedy... Where is the negative exaggeration of Leia?
In both scenes with Luke he is shown as a bumbling idiot incapable of handling either a blaster or a grappling line, neither which is true in the original.
That moment in the prison break scene where she huffs angrily at the stormtroopers after killing two with one shot and Luke stares in mild panic at her?!
So far I have only seen Leia being exaggerated in a positive light while Luke got turned into a braindead moron.

I might change my mind in this cartoon if they have scenes where Leia is the actual buttmonkey of comedic scene.
But I doubt they'll do that...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-02-12 02:06pm Because the Force is female.
Oh boy. Look, I'm not jumping on you because I'm not sure what your reasons are for posting that line, but the "controversy" over that really pisses me off.

So Kathleen Kennedy wore a t-shirt with a feminist message once. Big fucking deal. I am so sick of whiny assholes jumping on that line like its proof of an anti-male SJW conspiracy behind Star Wars (and to target Kennedy because obviously an uppity woman should be in the kitchen, not running Lucasfilms). Its just Alt. Reich clickbait, designed to stoke insecure male resentment of women.

And on the topic of the rehashing of the OT here, I think the hostile response in this thread proves that its not just "Rey is a badly written character" that provokes the hostility toward her. Because a high-powered Leia gets the same hostile, resentful response. Which leaves us with two options:

1. Knee-jerk hostility toward any change to the Sacred OT.
2. Fear and hatred of powerful women.

I mean, yeah, if Disney remade the OT and destroyed all the original copies or something, it would enrage me too. But that's not happening. The OT is still there, and it is well-enough entrenched in popular culture and film history for its reputation to be secure. Nothing Disney can make can diminish it. New interpretations and adaptations take nothing from OT fans- they will simply succeed or fail on their own merits.

Now diminishing Luke... that would bother me, because I fucking love Luke. But echoing what others have said here- Luke wasn't the slickest person in the OT, and its a kids cartoon. Some exaggeration is to be expected.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

There's another reason for this, the original actors are passing on and getting older in years. Disney probably wants the narrative flexibility to recast them as needed for remakes, new stories(like Solo), and prequels, interquels, and sequels. This way, the characters become more iconic and tied to the character's actions, costumes, and basic personalities, as opposed to being tied to the actor.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-02-13 04:05pm To nitpick, it wasn't his own tools. The grapple was from a commander stormtrooper gunbelt. Not his stuff. Where's he going to swing on Tatooine?
That gave me the fun mental image of Luke as one of those milsim tacticool teenagers who live in comfy middle class suburbs but act as though they're living in some demilitarised zone.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-02-14 04:13pm There's another reason for this, the original actors are passing on and getting older in years. Disney probably wants the narrative flexibility to recast them as needed for remakes, new stories(like Solo), and prequels, interquels, and sequels. This way, the characters become more iconic and tied to the character's actions, costumes, and basic personalities, as opposed to being tied to the actor.
That too.

As much as some might find it insulting to the original actors to replace them, its kind of inevitable. And its not necessarily a bad thing.

Star Wars is, in some respects, as close to a modern mythology as we have. And one of the things about myths is that they get constantly changed and reinvented with each new generation. Sure, sometimes a single version will become iconic (like Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, or Mallory's Morte d'Arthur), but generally there is no single "true" version. Heck, this happens with any long-lived work of fiction. The original actors to perform Shakespeare are all long dead and buried, but the plays live on- in many wildly differing interpretations.
Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-14 04:23pm
That gave me the fun mental image of Luke as one of those milsim tacticool teenagers who live in comfy middle class suburbs but act as though they're living in some demilitarised zone.
Heh.

Though to be fair, that background would actually be more likely to fit Leia than Luke. Leia was from the upper crust. Luke actually had a fairly rough upbringing, from what little we see of it. I mean, not as bad as some (in a galaxy where their are actual enslaved populations), but not exactly cushy either.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-14 03:49pm
Galvatron wrote: 2019-02-12 02:06pm Because the Force is female.
Oh boy. Look, I'm not jumping on you because I'm not sure what your reasons are for posting that line, but the "controversy" over that really pisses me off.

So Kathleen Kennedy wore a t-shirt with a feminist message once. Big fucking deal. I am so sick of whiny assholes jumping on that line like its proof of an anti-male SJW conspiracy behind Star Wars (and to target Kennedy because obviously an uppity woman should be in the kitchen, not running Lucasfilms). Its just Alt. Reich clickbait, designed to stoke insecure male resentment of women.
It's not about resentment of women so much as it's a resentment of lazy and unimaginative writers. The trend seems to imply that women can't truly be empowered unless they're surrounded by male buffoons. Honestly, I'd think that's more patronizing towards women than it is insulting towards men.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I don't really mind the grappling hook scene; it was cheesy but otherwise standard fare for comedic gaffes in cartoons.

There's the switch of having Leia kick Chewie into the garbage chute instead of Han doing it, which I found puzzling because it removes what was a nice scene showcasing Han and Chewie's dynamic but whatever.

What does bother me is the way Leia is portrayed after shooting the stormtroopers. In the original scene she's clearly using suppressing fire to cover herself while she crosses the corridor. It displays her competence and quick thinking in a situation that would be rare for a diplomat or politician to find themselves in. As far as this affects her character, two conclusions can be drawn from it: firstly that Leia is intelligent and capable of problem solving under pressure, and secondly that she likely has military experience even though she is presented as a politician.
But the way this goes down in the cartoon is almost a completely different scene, really, from a standpoint of tone and character direction.

In ANH Leia is clearly agitated at that point because Han and Luke don't seem to have a good plan; she takes matters into her own hands and comes up with one on the fly.

In the Galaxy of Adventures cartoon Leia seems underwhelmed and even annoyed from the start, and after shooting at the stormtroopers is visibly tense and angry as if she'd just used that act as a way to vent her annoyance (which was greater than in ANH) felt towards Luke and Han. This is further driven home by the shocked expressions of Luke, Han, and Chewie; even the stormtroopers took a moment's pause in the aftermath.

My problem is, this doesn't really build Leia's character up, and if anything I would say it weakens her character.

I don't really know how to best put this into words on their own, so I'll start with, well, personal anecdotes to explain my thoughts here.

Scenes like this, where a character is clearly driven by passionate emotion, can feel and be very powerful. But there is a fine line in the design and construction of such scenes between reinforcing a character's strengths and tearing that character down.

As a hobbyist writer myself, I found such scenes alluring for quite some time, but they almost always came out feeling hollow instead of triumphant. I realized that when these scenes failed, the emotions of my characters weren't serving the right purpose. Instead of drawing strength from their emotional motivations, the character was controlled by them. The result was effectively an outburst, and it made characters read as fickle or weak willed in what was supposed to be their climax.

The way this manifests in this cartoon, it feels like Leia is gunning down the stormtroopers to prove a point to Han and perhaps Luke. Whereas in ANH Leia's actions are more than enough proof to the audience that she is competent, and she is clearly confident enough that she feels no need to prove herself to the likes of Han.