Orbital bombardments, planetary defenses, Death Stars, etc.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Orbital bombardments, planetary defenses, Death Stars, etc.

Post by Lord Revan »

Probably just removing exact values then as those can cause issues while, vague "does this much damage" descriptions won't cause as much problems, they essentially still saying the same thing just being more vague about it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think "reducing the upper crust of a planet to molten slag" is vague enough that it doesn't necessarily mean the entire planet anymore. It could be easily interpreted as meaning that a sustained bombardment can only do that to the surface in the vicinity of their target.
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

Galvatron wrote: 2021-03-13 04:09am In case anyone still cares: the new edition of what used to be known as the ICS has stripped out a lot of the numerical specs from the Acclamator data file, including the 200-gigaton yield for its turbolasers.

Spoiler
Is that from a more recent release?
Some yields and annihilation rates were mentioned in the cross-sections themselves in the callouts. Cross-sections with attached yields included Slave 1 and LAAT gunships,
I had the 2016 British release of "Complete Vehicles" updated to include TFA.
Text on the back of the book stated "This book contains "legends" information, which is not considered canon in the star wars universe"
(disney verse).

Maybe this new edition carries the same caveat for the pre disney movies, or has that been dropped? See the back cover.
BlasTech.info
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I don't see any such disclaimer on either cover or in the foreword. This is the book:

https://www.dk.com/us/book/978074402057 ... ew-edition
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Galvatron wrote: 2021-03-20 10:39pm I think "reducing the upper crust of a planet to molten slag" is vague enough that it doesn't necessarily mean the entire planet anymore. It could be easily interpreted as meaning that a sustained bombardment can only do that to the surface in the vicinity of their target.
It 'could' be interpreted that way, but certainly not 'easily'. 'The upper crust of a planet' indicates 'all' or at least 'most 'of the upper crust of a planet. When you mean 'the few kilometres around the target' you don't say 'the planet'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Galvatron wrote: 2021-03-20 10:39pm I think "reducing the upper crust of a planet to molten slag" is vague enough that it doesn't necessarily mean the entire planet anymore. It could be easily interpreted as meaning that a sustained bombardment can only do that to the surface in the vicinity of their target.
The tech books are usually precise enough that, if they mean 'around the target', they'll say it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

Pedantically then, that book 'canonizes' some of the old yields associated with "maximum power".
I doubt Palo was interested in this, as I'm pretty sure he was one of the guys who hate science in the SW, and those sort of discussions. But gigajoule ground laser weapons and megaton turbolasers are referenced in the cross-sections themselves;

https://i.gyazo.com/652d3d0de7b2afdd12f ... 9f01e6.png
BlasTech.info
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

We had fucking 200GT MTLs for the Acclamator on page in those ICSes, it's just that they're no longer canon
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

Palo is a moron. Fundamentally, you can get fifty megatons just by dropping a Star Destroyer from 500 kilometers up. Switch off the repulsorlifts and a city gets wiped off the map.
Once you start flying 50-million-tonne spaceships around at high interplanetary speeds (as opposed to taking a month to get to Mars and a year to get to the asteroid belt), you're looking at ludicrous kaboom.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Hey guys, get a load of this...

Spoiler
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Is Vader trapped under some wreckage or something?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

No, he was just taking shelter inside it while the Executor was raining down biggatons of turbolasers. It's just a toppled water tank (I think).
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

this is how he should have handled that kaiju thing from the first Vader comic, call in some danger close orbital fire support.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?