Jon Favreau to write, exec. produce live-action SW

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Re: Jon Favreau to write, exec. produce live-action SW

Post by KraytKing »

I would have liked the lead to be female as well. Pisses me off to no end that the only female Mando we see in Clone Wars is obviously female, wearing less armor, showing off her midriff. But Pascal works.

I like what I've seen of the fight scenes. I hope stormtroopers are a little less laughable in this, that they don't fall back on commandos to present threat. I'm worried that they might go the route of so many others, "the black-armored ones that look cool are UBERLEET."

Looks gritty enough for me. I don't like grittiness in mainstream Star Wars, but I wouldn't mind it in the occasional spinoff show.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

KraytKing wrote: 2019-08-24 10:54am I would have liked the lead to be female as well. Pisses me off to no end that the only female Mando we see in Clone Wars is obviously female, wearing less armor, showing off her midriff.
Err which Mando are you referring to the only female mandalorian I can think of from the Clone Wars has mostly the same armor as the males apart from a bit more obvious bust.

In fact I can't really think of any mando in either Clone Wars (the CGI one) or Rebels that would count as "showing off her mid rift" even Sabine's armor seemed more like lighter "scout" variation of the standard Mando armor rather then something designed for fanservice.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-08-24 04:05pm
KraytKing wrote: 2019-08-24 10:54am I would have liked the lead to be female as well. Pisses me off to no end that the only female Mando we see in Clone Wars is obviously female, wearing less armor, showing off her midriff.
Err which Mando are you referring to the only female mandalorian I can think of from the Clone Wars has mostly the same armor as the males apart from a bit more obvious bust.

In fact I can't really think of any mando in either Clone Wars (the CGI one) or Rebels that would count as "showing off her mid rift" even Sabine's armor seemed more like lighter "scout" variation of the standard Mando armor rather then something designed for fanservice.
Yeah, perhaps I was a bit overzealous. I didn't mean bare midsection, just very little plating there. I completely forgot about the one in Rebels. But still, it is obviously very different to show that she is a girl. It may be a scout model, but it is notable that we only see the scout model when worn by females. I would be much more okay with it if we saw males wearing the scout armor and females wearing the heavy armor.

Well, maybe not, because no matter what I don't like the scout armor, but that's from a personal standpoint.

Additional thought on the trailer: his ship design hearkens back to Jaster's Legacy, which is cool. But I don't like the design trend so common in scifi to just add bulk and metal. An X-Wing looks lean. So does an LAAT/i. They look like they have components that are just sheet metal, and other parts that are thick enough for cabling but not much more, and then the main body where the engines are. But the ship here just looks fat.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

--Mountain

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

KraytKing wrote: 2019-08-24 06:50pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-08-24 04:05pm

Yeah, perhaps I was a bit overzealous. I didn't mean bare midsection, just very little plating there. I completely forgot about the one in Rebels. But still, it is obviously very different to show that she is a girl. It may be a scout model, but it is notable that we only see the scout model when worn by females. I would be much more okay with it if we saw males wearing the scout armor and females wearing the heavy armor.

Well, maybe not, because no matter what I don't like the scout armor, but that's from a personal standpoint.

Additional thought on the trailer: his ship design hearkens back to Jaster's Legacy, which is cool. But I don't like the design trend so common in scifi to just add bulk and metal. An X-Wing looks lean. So does an LAAT/i. They look like they have components that are just sheet metal, and other parts that are thick enough for cabling but not much more, and then the main body where the engines are. But the ship here just looks fat.
Well as I said Bo-Katann (the main fem Mando in Clone Wars) wore the exact same armor as the males apart from more dome like chest plates and yes she does have an ab plate and I can't remember any other fem Mando who wasn't a new mandalorian and therefore wasn't wearing any armor to begin with, also Bo-Katann's design was changed in rebels to have the same chest plates as the males got.

Honestly Sabine's design never stuck to me as "this one is a girl" and more it felt more like "this one isn't a shock trooper".
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Sabine's was also the odd man out because her armor was personalized because she was an artist, and made it purposely very colorful.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Sabine would apply that coloration to pretty much anything people couldn't stop her from doing it to but armour-plating wise it 'is' lighter than the one worn by male Madalorians.
Namely, the abdominal plating.
And that seems to be the only difference (well the only explicitly male/female wearer one, Rebels had Mandalorian suit variations to rival Iron Man) and it's not like the original Boba Fett armour was a solid shell (not that that seems to have helped Stormtroopers much)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote: 2019-08-24 10:23pm Sabine would apply that coloration to pretty much anything people couldn't stop her from doing it to but armour-plating wise it 'is' lighter than the one worn by male Madalorians.
Namely, the abdominal plating.
And that seems to be the only difference (well the only explicitly male/female wearer one, Rebels had Mandalorian suit variations to rival Iron Man) and it's not like the original Boba Fett armour was a solid shell (not that that seems to have helped Stormtroopers much)
As I said before both Rebels and the Clone Wars had fem mando with ab plates present, in fact neither of the Fetts had a solid Shell but rather there was strip of exposed cloth between the ab plate and chest plates (as well as between the chest plates). In fact Sabine is the only mando warrior I can remember off hand who didn't wear an ab plate, but then she didn't wear any armor between the chest plates and boots IIRC just a body suit that at least to me seemed to be made of thicker material then the ones used by Jango Fett, Boba Fett and now the Gunslinger, though that could just be a artifact of the artstyle used in Rebels.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

He's the best in the parsec. I guess he does most of his work in the one star system.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Also, isn't a parsec a unit of distance, not area? Akin to saying "the best in the mile." Not quite right.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Yet it's still a better use of parsec than how Han Solo used it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well. Looks interesting. I suspect that this might get up there in the 'most pirated after broadcast' records. Probably won't beat Game of Thrones, but...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

It might. I know I'm sure as hell not signing up for Disney Thing. At least HBO has other cool stuff to offer to the majority of viewers.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

There's supposed to be a $12.99 bundle that includes Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Well, I'm going to have to pirate an episode or two. Disney+ doesn't open down here until the 19th.

After that, I'm probably going to subscribe for a short term. I've got some Disney stuff I want to watch, starting with all the MCU movies.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

KraytKing wrote: 2019-10-29 01:11pm Also, isn't a parsec a unit of distance, not area? Akin to saying "the best in the mile." Not quite right.
You felt compelled to correct someone on their usage of "parsec"... on a Star Wars board?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-10-29 10:57pm Well, I'm going to have to pirate an episode or two. Disney+ doesn't open down here until the 19th.

After that, I'm probably going to subscribe for a short term. I've got some Disney stuff I want to watch, starting with all the MCU movies.
The thing for me personally (not that I'm saying I'm going to pirate anything, this looks cool but maybe I'll just buy the DVD at some point... yes, I still watch DVDs) is that I already pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Via Prime I can get a bunch of apps, some better than others granted-- if they're free, usually you have to watch ads. This isn't a big deal with TV shows like Fringe because you would've had ads during the original broadcast anyway, they fit into the spaces the original show has, but with something made for streaming without ads, it could get awkward. I'm not super interested in watching The Mandalorian via Disney because... eh, I have other things I can watch.

Now if I was buying a Verizon phone, Verizon is apparently going to start bundling Disney+ with their phones for free. Which is okay, but I don't use Verizon.

Basically all this adds up to is: The Mandalorian isn't an overwhelming reason for me to pay money to basically just watch it. I've already seen almost all the Marvel movies, the TV shows are on Netflix, a bunch of Star Wars stuff is on Netflix already, and I'm really not interested in most Disney crap. Now my kids are, which might be one reason to get it, but otherwise, that's a pretty major 'nah man' for me.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Fair enough. Though the Marvel movies never came to Netflix down here in NZ, instead they came to some local streaming platform. Figuring out where I could watch shows/movies when the company creating them doesn't own a streaming platform is a headache.
houser2112 wrote: 2019-10-30 08:20am
KraytKing wrote: 2019-10-29 01:11pm Also, isn't a parsec a unit of distance, not area? Akin to saying "the best in the mile." Not quite right.
You felt compelled to correct someone on their usage of "parsec"... on a Star Wars board?
At this point I'm just treating SW getting parsec wrong as a joke. Though a series that sticks to a single star system feels like something a Star Wars show is afraid to do.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, I can see the different accessibility of various services in other countries being an issue and a possible reason to grab D+ there. That's fair, I guess.

Though it goes both ways. Still irked that you lot overseas are going to get Picard on either Netflix or Amazon (can't remember which one) and it's stuck on CBS All Access here...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The big reveal in episode 1 is that Werner Herzog made it to Disney World after selling his house to Andy and April.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, spoiler free: how is it so far?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-11-16 09:47am So, spoiler free: how is it so far?
It's great! Really enjoying it. My wife insisted we watch the second episode twice in a day.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Vympel wrote: 2019-11-19 07:44am
RogueIce wrote: 2019-11-16 09:47am So, spoiler free: how is it so far?
It's great! Really enjoying it. My wife insisted we watch the second episode twice in a day.
I did watch it, thanks to Verizon Wireless giving me a year free of Disney+.

And I must agree. It is pretty great. He's like The Man With No Name (in his arguably "gooder" days during A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More at least; TGTB&TU has him far more mercenary) but for Star Wars. I'm really enjoying him.

And Pedro Pascal is doing a fantastic job for all that we never see his face, yet I can still feel his thoughts and emotions when he has them. Kudos to him for staying true to the character and keeping the helmet on; few actors would be willing to do such a thing, especially in a leading role.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I hope Pedro Pascal follows Karl Urban's example from Dredd and never removes his helmet. Something like this would be cool though:

Shows us some scars!