Imperial Rank Insignia Discussion

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Imperial Rank Insignia Discussion

Post by MKSheppard »

RogueIce wrote: 2021-10-26 05:01pmThat seems to be what the Rogue One costume designers more or less went with for ANH-style. They still had multi-color badges but it seems whichever color came first defines the branch of service - so something like the three red/three blue and three blue/three red is purposeful.
I see someone also had the same thoughts I had.

My thought was that the "leftmost" color is the wearer's "Primary Branch."

Then the "rightmost" color lets you know what specific schooling they have completed.

All Red: This guy's only received pure army training.
5 Red - 1 Blue : This guy has been sent to the Imperial Naval School for Line Officers.
4 Red - 2 Blue : This guy's been sent to Line/Squadron Schools
3 Red - 3 Blue: This guy's been sent to Line/Squadron/Systems Force Schools

Presumably, at this point, Imperial Army stops sending their men to Naval Schools as a matter of procedure; because does a ground forces officer need to know how to fight and move a fleet of 400~ ships or more?
2nd Lt
█ █ 1st Lt
Rouge; in the Disney Canon, they have invented "Vice General" as a rank for the Imperial Army. It's used just once in Aftermath: Life Debt for Vice General Adambo.

With that, it make sense if you reorganize it around:

Officer Candidate
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lt Colonel
Colonel
High Colonel -- Replaces Brigadier General
Vice General (2 Star) -- use this to fix the oddity of "Major General being lesser than a Lt General"
Lieutenant General (3 Star)
General (4 Star)
Marshal (5 Star) (Commonly referred in slang as a Surface Marshal; since at this point, they're commanding all the ground forces in a system -- it's rare that you would get multiple armies deployed on a planet in the Imperial Era; or hell, even during the Clone Wars period.)
High Marshal
Grand Marshal

I can see the Vice General rank of commanding a "Division" to be obscure; since the Division has been depreciated in favor of Brigade/Battlegroups per WEG; which makes sense; a few Imperial Regiments are more than enough firepower for 75% of worlds.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944