How I would change Star Wars

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Haruhi
Redshirt

How I would change Star Wars

Post by Haruhi »

You suppose you could change aspects of Star Wars. I would make the following changes.

1. Force users would be more powerful, forming the elite of Star Wars. The jedi/sith would be the elite among this group.

2. The Force powers would manifest more easily as they are used more, which would be the basic powers delegated partially to unconscious/instinct.

3. Learning the Force be unlearning, because the following limitations of the Force would manias, ie no inherent limits of the Force, but limits of the Force because the Force user believes are limits: distance to target, visual contact with the target, weight of target.

4. The jedi would solve the problem if they are warriors or peacekeepers with jedi specialized in combat and heavily trained so that they are not corrupted by the war.

5. There would be no light side powers or the dark side powers, only powers used for good or evil.

6. The average jedi would carriy one lightshield also saber:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Light-shield

7. The average jedi would have a permanent telekinetic shield:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_barrier

8. The average jedi would use the combat precognition to prevent surprise attacks, he/she would have super-reflexes once disclosed the attacks and he/she could move at supersonic speeds for short periods.

9. The average jedi could fly with telekinesis.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Telekinesis

10. The average jedi would carry an armor imbued with the Force to increase its resistance and decrease its weight:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_weapon

11. All clonetroppers and stormtroopers would be replaced by Phase III Dark Troopers:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phase_III_dark_trooper

12. All droids would be replaced by variants of the Phase III Dark Trooper.

13. The blasters projectiles would be explosives and supersonics.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Re: How I would change Star Wars

Post by Xess »

How is turning the Jedi into Superman going to in any way make Star Wars better?
Image[
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

All this does is add alot of "flash" without adding anything of subtance, hell some of those options would reduce the subtance.

There's a reason why most times Superman doesn't have allies of his caliber in the stories, unless the threat demands it multiple Superman level characters just suck the tension out of the story.

While this might seem like heresy to say in any site with SW fan on them the prequels for all their faults did seem to hit the right balance between "powerfull" and "vunerble" for the jedi and sith, they weren't demigods who were immune to damage by "lesser" beings but just very powerfull people.

For example what would the Phase-3 Dark Troopers add to the story, sure they might seem cooler and are certainly more of a threat then you typical Stormtrooper or Clonetrooper (who btw are alot better shots then most people claim), but what would they truly add to the story?

If adding more "flash" adds signifigant value to the story it's generally a sign that story is non-existant, again adding more "flash" to the prequels wouldn't make them better, hell IIRC one of the main complaints was that there's too much "flash" and not enough story in there.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

Xess wrote:How is turning the Jedi into Superman going to in any way make Star Wars better?
1. This would decrease the difference between the movies and the EU, because if the Jedi are so weak in the first movies is due to lack of resources, while the power level is maintained in modern movies so there are no big differences between the two trilogies.

2. In my view this would make that video games like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were more fun, Star Wars as Advent Rising video game.
Lord Revan wrote:For example what would the Phase-3 Dark Troopers add to the story, sure they might seem cooler and are certainly more of a threat then you typical Stormtrooper or Clonetrooper (who btw are alot better shots then most people claim), but what would they truly add to the story?
The Phase III Dark Troopers would not add anything to the story, but as the jedi and sith would be much more powerful, the soldiers also would be more powerful.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Haruhi wrote: 2. In my view this would make that video games like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were more fun, Star Wars as Advent Rising video game.

You don't need to change the entire setting to do this. See TFU.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Sigh...I've told you this before in SB.com and I am telling you again. Can you give us good reason why your suggestion would actually make Star Wars better?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

ray245 wrote:Sigh...I've told you this before in SB.com and I am telling you again. Can you give us good reason why your suggestion would actually make Star Wars better?
Star Wars would be better with these suggestions because the Jedi and Sith employ better the available resources, the soldiers would have better marksmanship, the droids would not be pathetic, the blasters not shoot at a speed so ridiculous, among others.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

See if I were to make any changes, I'd like a little more more moral ambiguity. Show the Rebellion making hard choices, and Imperials who aren't evil. Granted it screws with the whole Joseph Campbell arch-story they were set on using. Up the physical and emotional stakes, redo the prequels as a better thematic fit, maybe give some of the flatter characters like luke and Threepio a bit more depth.

You know, tinker with the story. It'd be nice to have off the cuff lines or scenes demonstrating things like weapons, shields or FTL speeds, just not if it detracts one iota from the narrative.

And I certainly don't see how making the super-mystic Sith and Jedi even more super would things, let alone lead to the specific things you say would result (less pathetic droids, blaster... rate of fire? Muzzle velocity? I'm really not sure what you're complaining about here.)
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. Giving things in a story better 'stats' doesn't make the story better. It might make it a bit more exciting to watch, but there's so much hyper-heroic fiction out there that you don't have to rewrite existing stories to create more spectacle.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Haruhi wrote:Star Wars would be better with these suggestions because the Jedi and Sith employ better the available resources
But you're defining the "available resources" to include all kinds of stuff that isn't in the movies. It's ridiculous to complain about not using "resources" that you just invented (or found in some obscure RPG article) because you think it would be cool if they existed. Maybe the simple fact is that the force doesn't make you a god of combat, and the Jedi/Sith are best as leaders, not warriors.

And really, that's what makes sense. Who cares if a Sith can flatten a city with their magic powers when you have fleets of star destroyers with vastly more firepower. Who cares if you can fly with the force when random farm kids in the middle of nowhere can buy the equivalent of a modern fighter jet. Vader isn't terrifying because he's an unstoppable god of combat, he's terrifying because he's the emperor's right-hand man. That is what matters, whether he kills you with magic because you annoyed him or just signs an execution order and has the stormtroopers do it.
the soldiers would have better marksmanship
But their marksmanship is fine when they aren't shooting at important characters (and missing characters is just part of fiction). For all people joke about "stormtrooper accuracy" the very first thing we see the stormtroopers do is blast their way into a prepared ambush and relentlessly gun down the rebel defenders. When we see Imperial starfighters in combat their gunnery is just as good as the rebel ships. Etc.
the droids would not be pathetic
In the original trilogy that's their whole point. C-3P0 is there for a reason, and it isn't to be a powerful warrior.

In the prequels yes, making all of the droids comic relief ruined them as credible opponents, but the solution is to just delete all their "funny" lines and make them more like the original stormtroopers, not to come up with god-like superdroids.
the blasters not shoot at a speed so ridiculous, among others.
This is just pointless nitpicking. If you genuinely think that Star Wars would be a better movie if blaster shots moved faster then I think you've defined the word 'obsession'. And not in a good way.
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

lPeregrine wrote:But you're defining the "available resources" to include all kinds of stuff that isn't in the movies.
The resources are not in the movies, but they are in the EU, as listed in the links.
lPeregrine wrote:Maybe the simple fact is that the force doesn't make you a god of combat, and the Jedi/Sith are best as leaders, not warriors.
The Jedi/Sith are warriors.
lPeregrine wrote:Who cares if a Sith can flatten a city with their magic powers when you have fleets of star destroyers with vastly more firepower. Who cares if you can fly with the force when random farm kids in the middle of nowhere can buy the equivalent of a modern fighter jet. Vader isn't terrifying because he's an unstoppable god of combat, he's terrifying because he's the emperor's right-hand man. That is what matters, whether he kills you with magic because you annoyed him or just signs an execution order and has the stormtroopers do it.
I have considered that the Force is more powerful than the technology, because if not, then why do conceive the Force, as this is one of the most distinctive elements of Star Wars?
lPeregrine wrote:But their marksmanship is fine when they aren't shooting at important characters (and missing characters is just part of fiction).
This is silly, because the marksmanship has to be just as good regardless of the targets. The heroes have to overcome difficulties on their own, not because the villains have bad marksmanship.
lPeregrine wrote:In the prequels yes, making all of the droids comic relief ruined them as credible opponents, but the solution is to just delete all their "funny" lines and make them more like the original stormtroopers, not to come up with god-like superdroids.
For the style of the video game would be better most fearsome droids.
lPeregrine wrote:If you genuinely think that Star Wars would be a better movie if blaster shots moved faster then I think you've defined the word 'obsession'. And not in a good way.
My suggestions are more for video games. I find it annoying that in a futuristic world regular weapons are worse than real weapons, but this is because Star Wars is space opera and not science fiction.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Haruhi wrote:
I have considered that the Force is more powerful than the technology, because if not, then why do conceive the Force, as this is one of the most distinctive elements of Star Wars?
It's like saying technology cannot exist in the fantasy genre, because why else would you invent a world with magic?

The idea that you can "improve" Star Wars by making things look "cooler" only is something that will only works on young kids, not adults.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

What would service Star Wars better is giving all main and supporting cast well-rounded characters, motivations, strengths and flaws and a smoothing out of the storylines. More flash and pizzaz is certainly not what is needed since the series is already suffering badly from style over substance overdose anyway, yet even as much as I dislike George Lucas' output, it's still ahead of the loud, spectacular yet empty and soulless garbage that MIchael Bay shits out on a regular basis.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Haruhi wrote:
lPeregrine wrote:But their marksmanship is fine when they aren't shooting at important characters (and missing characters is just part of fiction).
This is silly, because the marksmanship has to be just as good regardless of the targets. The heroes have to overcome difficulties on their own, not because the villains have bad marksmanship.
Wut?
You have just declared nearly all modern action movies + scifi movies + TV cop shows + almost all anime + definately all fantasy including archery etc silly. That doesn't sound constructive without adding something else.
Can you even name 10 top 10 action movies in the last decade that didn't include this trope?

So do you really want a hyperrealistic space opera movie with demi-gods playing with magic?
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

ray245 wrote:It's like saying technology cannot exist in the fantasy genre, because why else would you invent a world with magic?

The idea that you can "improve" Star Wars by making things look "cooler" only is something that will only works on young kids, not adults.
Star Wars has as distinctive the Force and no technology (except lightsaber), so I prefer that the Force is more powerful than technology.

Your opinion is that my suggestions are immature, but those still look better to the video games.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Videogames that are wish-fulfillment power fantasies. Yeah, sorry, but mature is something I wouldn't call the interactive Star Wars oeuvre.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Haruhi wrote:
Star Wars has as distinctive the Force and no technology (except lightsaber), so I prefer that the Force is more powerful than technology.
Why would that make Star Wars a better franchise?
Your opinion is that my suggestions are immature, but those still look better to the video games.
For the love of God, saying your ideas are better than the lowest denominator doesn't make them good.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Haruhi wrote:The Jedi/Sith are warriors.
The Jedi certainly aren't. Witness Qui-Gon's remark to Queen Amidala:

"I can only protect you, I can't fight a war for you."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

Spoonist wrote:You have just declared nearly all modern action movies + scifi movies + TV cop shows + almost all anime + definately all fantasy including archery etc silly. That doesn't sound constructive without adding something else.
Can you even name 10 top 10 action movies in the last decade that didn't include this trope?

So do you really want a hyperrealistic space opera movie with demi-gods playing with magic?
In Star Wars this trope is especially visible. The Matrix can be an example of non-compliance with this trope.

I prefer that Star Wars was science-fiction and no space opera and various eras where Force users could be a bit superhuman people to be demigods.
ray245 wrote:Why would that make Star Wars a better franchise?
The games could be more fun for me and there would not be much difference between movies and EU.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:The Jedi certainly aren't. Witness Qui-Gon's remark to Queen Amidala:

The Jedi have been warriors in certain eras, Qui-Gon just lived in an era where Jedi were peacekeepers.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

So nitpicks about Stormtroopers being inaccurate pissants is a serious mark against Star Wars now?

Do you know how stupid you sound? Besides the fact that Leia totally gets hit in the arm during RotJ, so they aren't that inaccurate even when facing main characters. From a literary or writer's perspective, a main character getting shot or stabbed or otherwise seriously injured let alone killed whether by force of nature or interpersonal violence isn't something that just happens; its something that should have dramatic value. Calling it a "trope" doesn't even do it justice, its a basic element of storytelling. Unlike real life, shit does not just "happen", unless it is a specific theme of the story. It has to happen for a reason. The Troopers purpose are to create tension, not actually kill the characters. Or did you forget that not all of the main characters in Star Wars are fucking Jedi?

As for your ideas on Jedi, I have an anime recommendation for you. Its called "Dragon Ball"/"Dragon Ball Kai". :lol:

Truly, Star Wars fandom has bottomed out. I don't see how the floor could collapse any further. But I fear even now I am wrong.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Haruhi wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:The Jedi certainly aren't. Witness Qui-Gon's remark to Queen Amidala:

The Jedi have been warriors in certain eras, Qui-Gon just lived in an era where Jedi were peacekeepers.
So you admit that during the era the films are set in, the Jedi are peacekeepers at best. NOT warriors. THe Sith aren't warriors either, terrorists and schemers certainly, but not warriors.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Haruhi wrote:
Spoonist wrote:You have just declared nearly all modern action movies + scifi movies + TV cop shows + almost all anime + definately all fantasy including archery etc silly. That doesn't sound constructive without adding something else.

In Star Wars this trope is especially visible. The Matrix can be an example of non-compliance with this trope.

I prefer that Star Wars was science-fiction and no space opera and various eras where Force users could be a bit superhuman people to be demigods.
Wut?

Nope, its not especially visible in Star Wars, specifically because it is space opera and because most misses can be handwaved away with the main characters being force users. Instead it is flicks like the bourne movies or TV shows like CSI where it is most obvious since they are trying hard to have a realistic feel while still allowing the crooks to fire recklessly at the protagonists without effect unless warranted by plot.

And nope, Matrix is in compliance since they have two sets of reality - one in which there is an explanation for the trope, while in the other there is no explanation. This since in 'the reality' in the matrix movies the crooks still miss unless warranted by plot.

And thanks for showing that you couldn't name 10 top 10 movies that didn't include this.
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

Formless wrote:So nitpicks about Stormtroopers being inaccurate pissants is a serious mark against Star Wars now?
Not only that. Is that the blasters are slower than modern weapons, which combats the jedi not usually wear armor, etc.
Haruhi
Redshirt

Post by Haruhi »

Spoonist wrote:Nope, its not especially visible in Star Wars, specifically because it is space opera and because most misses can be handwaved away with the main characters being force users. Instead it is flicks like the bourne movies or TV shows like CSI where it is most obvious since they are trying hard to have a realistic feel while still allowing the crooks to fire recklessly at the protagonists without effect unless warranted by plot.

And nope, Matrix is in compliance since they have two sets of reality - one in which there is an explanation for the trope, while in the other there is no explanation. This since in 'the reality' in the matrix movies the crooks still miss unless warranted by plot.

And thanks for showing that you couldn't name 10 top 10 movies that didn't include this.
The stormtroopers are still part of the worst soldiers of all fiction.

In the reality of The Matrix not usually have shootings to see if the villains have bad marksmanship.

No need to show those ten examples to prove the incompetence of the stormtroopers.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Not only that. Is that the blasters are slower than modern weapons, which combats the jedi not usually wear armor, etc.
So what? I can't believe I am doing this, but go and watch the Nostalgia Critic's video on nitpicking (*sigh*). The seemingly inefficient behavior of blasters is hardly relevant to the quality of Star Wars as a movie, nor even the worst flaw in the narrative. Hell, its not even valid-- blaster bolts don't move at just one speed throughout the films. And besides which, at their slowest they move at a similar speed to an arrow shot from a bow. Can you dodge an arrow? Please don't actually try this. Arrows were used for as long as they were for a particularly deadly reason. And that's before we consider all the advantages they might have over slugthrowers, like the fact often cited in the extended universe that physical slugs weigh more than power packs and take up more room. Hell, at least in Star Wars it makes sense that you never see anyone need to reload, unlike many action movies where real guns that should need reloading never seem to empty.

Blasters exist because lazor beams are futoristic and kool... and because its a family movie. That guns are more realistic is precisely why they weren't used. They have too many darker connotations in real life that some families are uncomfortable exposing their kids to. And when you need them to be more gruesome for dramatic effect, you can change things up by having someone catch fire like General Grevious or Uncle Owen and Aunt Bereu.

You need to step out of your own little bubble from time to time. These ideas of yours have a very limited appeal, mostly to either yourself or to a small fraction of the fanbase who really should just get out more and realize that Star Wars isn't the only sci-fi out there. I wasn't kidding when I recommended the "Dragon Ball" franchise. It sounds almost exactly like what you describe, but with a different plot and fewer blasters.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.