Economies and Diseconomies of Scale

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Marcus
Padawan Learner

Economies and Diseconomies of Scale

Post by Marcus »

I lack both the math skills and the raw data to calculate this, but when looking at another thread it struck me as something interesting to know....

Are SW weapons, especially turbolasers, subject to economies, or diseconomies, of scale? Or are they roughly smooth throughout?

It would seem to me that if we could somehow isolate, say, the firepower and mass of several given weapons, on different scales, we could get an idea of whether the weapons scale well, poorly, or smoothly... which would lend us greater abilities to predict, though in an admittedly imperfect manner, the yield of weapons whose throughput is not formally addressed.

I dont know enough to even know where to start, but I thought it an interesting idea and figured id throw it out here for the experts to chew on.

Analyzing a fictional universe is alot like science. Though you cant run experiments, you can take known facts, derive theories, and test their predictive power.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Wouldn't this belong in Pure Star Wars?

Anyway, some of the early work that was done trying to pin down ISD firepower scaled down the Death Star superlaser (which had a lower limit fixed at some gigantic number I can't be bothered to look up right now) to the size of the heavy dorsal guns on the ISD II, and compared that number to what the TESB asteroid vaporization scene demonstrated for the point-defense guns on the same ship. I believe it worked out that the power curve was pretty linear, possibly becoming more efficient as the size of the guns increased. The math heads on this board could answer this better than I could.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

RedImperator wrote:Wouldn't this belong in Pure Star Wars?
Yep. Moved.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Marcus
Padawan Learner

Post by Marcus »

Duh. Had thought I put it in PSW to begin with. ~sound of one hand clapping~

So, linear with possible economies of scale, such economies (if they occur) being relatively small effects?