Would you trash the EU?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Would you trash the EU?

Yes. Good Riddance.
40%
No. I like it as a source of information.
55%
Me like da monkey
5%

Total votes: 98

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Would you trash the EU?

Post by Superman »

Just a quick question because not everyone appreciates the concept of the EU. If you could, would trash the whole notion of the EU and just keep the Star Wars universe to the movies?

Yay or nay and why?
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

I can't vote entirely yes, because there are some elements (Thrawn trilogy, foremost) that I actually like. But there's a lot of utter shit as well. Anything by KJA I would trash without batting an eye, for instance.

It's a toss-up. I think more harm than good has come from the EU, but the little good that has come from it has been really good, while the bad has been truly horrid.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm with McC. There's a lot of cool material that helps flesh out the universe, the ancient history stuff like the Sith Wars and other KotOR-era info is great. Adds a sense of depth and history. Likewise, a lot of post-RotJ stuff like the mentioned Thrawn trilogy and duology add flavor.

Then there's the truckload of stuff that really serves no purpose.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yes and no, but mostly yes. The plots are just snoozers.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: Would you trash the EU?

Post by FedRebel »

EU is quite useful in many aspects.

Yes, there is some crap but that's essentially SW's version of "Voyager"
Last edited by FedRebel on 2005-06-04 01:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superman

Post by Superman »

I say yes. Even though I like characters like Thrawn, I just don't like those books being "official" and up to the same level as the movies. I dunno why exactly, I just don't.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Well Superman that might be just a problem with the cannon-ness of the EU, not so much the EU itself.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Superman wrote:I say yes. Even though I like characters like Thrawn, I just don't like those books being "official" and up to the same level as the movies. I dunno why exactly, I just don't.
Well they're not, technically.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Superman

Post by Superman »

Vympel wrote:
Superman wrote:I say yes. Even though I like characters like Thrawn, I just don't like those books being "official" and up to the same level as the movies. I dunno why exactly, I just don't.
How's that? I thought it's "offcial."
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

I wouldn't trash it because I would feel I'd wasted so much time reading the damn things. Its the same reason I don't really read Star Trek novels, because, when a book has all the relevancy of fan fiction, what's the point of even reading it. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but their you go.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Superman wrote:
Vympel wrote:
How's that? I thought it's "offcial."
Essentially the movie can override anything the Official cares to say.

As for me, so many of the plots were utterly blah, but there are some bright moments.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

No, not at all, although there are a few select titles that I would like to wipe their actual plots clean from existance, which it seems the rest of the EU has occasionally done.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Yes and no.

I like the notion of an EU, but I don't like what was done with the EU. Sometimes I actually wish a big ol' reset button could be pushed and we can go back to square one, start again, and avoid the same mistakes.

But that would still mean an EU of some sort, just not the EU we have. So.. yes and no.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

if chose between trashing the whole EU or keeping the whole, I'd keep it, but trash just parts of the EU I would (like everything made by KJA)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

No. The EU is fine as a concept. Some of its execution has been abysmal, but it's fine to expand Star Wars beyond the films.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I don't look at the Star Wars universe primarily for the acting, the scriptwriting, the tales told about it which might well just be "something based on a legend" type of deal. I look at it from a world-building viewpoint... or an anthropologist's viewpoint. The people, the creatures, the politics, the military, the locations, the planets...

Can't rely on purely the movies for these. Direct stories like those of KJA's and that Waru disaster be damned.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Master of Ossus wrote:No. The EU is fine as a concept. Some of its execution has been abysmal, but it's fine to expand Star Wars beyond the films.
Same. There should've been another poll option, "Don't trash it, just re-do it. Better, this time." (Bringing balance to the EU?) There's some really good stuff and some really bad stuff.
Later...
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

I'd also prefer keeping the gems and trash the rest.

We don't know how a re-do would turn out and we would lose the gems we have so far, so no, let it be. Better the devil you know. :cry:
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Keep it, the good stuff far outweighs the bad.

Of course, alot of people would disagree with me considering most of post-ROTJ EU good.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

There's alot of good stories I've read, and wouldn't mind reading again. But get rid of the wanking areas of the EU, like the DS2 being constructed in, like what, six months? :roll:
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

That's not wanking, Walper, that illustrates the industrial capacity of a galactic organisation.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Robert Walper wrote:There's alot of good stories I've read, and wouldn't mind reading again. But get rid of the wanking areas of the EU, like the DS2 being constructed in, like what, six months? :roll:
That'd be filmic canon, not EU. You lose.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

From what I've heard, weirdo b10t3k space invaders from the great beyond and crap, some of the EU isn't really Star Wars. But all I've read from the EU is just one of them X-Wing books by Stackpole. So whatever. I like the movies, and I think that they > the EU. Some disagree though, saying that the EU pwns what George Lucas, the guy who fucking made Star Wars, created. That true fans and shit should read the EU, that EU's oh so this and that and so oooh and crap. Fuck that. If George wants to, he can shit on the EU and there's not a thing anyone could do about it. Star Wars is his, dammnit. And I'll be damned if some "EU" ursurps George Lucas and the universe he created. [/end rant]
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on 2005-06-04 03:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

McC wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:There's alot of good stories I've read, and wouldn't mind reading again. But get rid of the wanking areas of the EU, like the DS2 being constructed in, like what, six months? :roll:
How exactly? The six months thing comes from Shadows of the Empire. IIRC.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

McC wrote:
Where does it state in the film the DS2 was constructed to that point in six months? :wtf: