Palpatine's first name revealed

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Palpatine's first name revealed

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Link.
Social media was set a blaze this afternoon after a critical tidbit of information about a legendary Star Wars character leaked online. Ever since his introduction in The Empire Strikes Back back in 1980, Senator/Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine has had no first name, only later being know alternatively by his Sith title Darth Sidious. For years many speculated that the the beloved villain simply only had one name, now we've learned that's not that case. A few days ago at the 'A New Dawn' panel at New York Comic Con, it was revealed that the upcoming novel Tarkin, written by James Luceno, will finally reveal Palpatine's first name. Earlier today the Star Wars Wikia Wookieepedia updated their article on Palpatine with the new name and listed page 93 of Tarkin as their source. (Obviously one of their editors got an advanced copy of the novel.) So without further ado, The Phantom Menace's full name is....

SPOILERS!

-
--
---
----
-----
------
-------

Sheev Palpatine

So, what do you think? Does it fit him? Or are you glad it was never mentioned in the films? Let us know in the comments below, or in Club SWU on Facebook! And also be sure to pre-order your copy of Star Wars: Tarkin, which promises to give more insight into another iconic Star Wars villain: Wilhuff Tarkin.
*cringe* No wonder he went by just Palpatine.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: Palpatine's first name revealed

Post by Darth Nostril »

Pffft In an early draft his name was Cos Dashit. This is actually an improvement.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

it looks like his "parents" were tossing up between shiv and sheep.
As for Tarkin, he will huff and he'll puff and he will blow your planet away.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Jesus. No wonder Palpatine hated his father.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

That is rather poor.
BlasTech.info
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

To be fair, is there anything that wouldn't disappoint people somewhat?

If Palpatine had a first name when he was introduced, people wouldn't care so much and just refer to him as Palpatine. It'd be like if we never heard Wedge Antilles' name until now. "What sort of a name is Wedge?"
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Wedge' is merely unusual. 'Sheev' belongs on the 'list of things to do to make sure your kid ends up a supervillain'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

The bullying at school because of his name is what turned him to the Dark Side in the first place.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Some people say that if Hitler's father hadn't changed the family name from Schicklgruber to Hitler, Adolf would have had no chance to become chancellor of Germany because no one could possibly take him seriously ("Heil Schicklgruber *pffffffft*").

Good thing for Palpy the Star Wars galaxy is full of silly names, huh? And let's be honest, "Palpatine" is silly enough already a name.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

"Palpatine" does sound an awful like a chocolate drink mix I used to love as a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovaltine
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I always thought it was a play on palatine. As in the Roman and later HRE title of nobility.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Most names in Star Wars are CORNY AS FUCK. Luke SKYWALKER, the hero who dreams of being among the stars. Han SOLO, the scoundrel that lives by his own rules... I mean, come on; Vader, Sidious, Maul, Tyranus.

Other than Sheev reminding me of the Dukes Of Hazzard remake movie, it's fine.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Havok wrote:Most names in Star Wars are CORNY AS FUCK. Luke SKYWALKER
And it was changed from Luke Starkiller... :D
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Dirk Starkiller actually.

"I'm Dirk Starkiller, I'm here to rescue you!"
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Well he did kill the Death Star, so it kinda works.

My take: "Sheev" sounds like the sort of thing you'd encounter on fanfiction.net. But whatever, names Lucas came up with can be pretty goofy. Nute Gunray? Boss Nass? Mace Windu? (Please don't kill me, Mr Jackson)
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Metahive wrote:Dirk Starkiller actually.

"I'm Dirk Starkiller, I'm here to rescue you!"
The name was still Luke Starkiller when Star Wars was in production (it wasn't changed until the Death Star scenes were filmed in England and thus stayed during the filming in Tunisia). As for "Dirk Starkiller", I wonder if that's not some sort of rumor as the early drafts doesn't include that name (though GL might have toyed with different names).
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Actually the very first name was Anakin Starkiller in the first draft.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Palpatine didn't even have a name until the prequels anyway* - he was just "The Emperor". That's really all we ever needed to know.

* Yes I know his name came from shooting scripts or EU stuff way before the prequels, I just don't care.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Borgholio wrote:Actually the very first name was Anakin Starkiller in the first draft.
Well, it was "Annikin" Starkiller. :P The very first protagonist was Mace Windy (from the 1973 outline).
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Now that I think of it, "Sheev" sounds like "schief" which is German and means "crooked", "askew" or "slanted". It's used with several negative connotations in certain idioms like "Schiefe Bahn" lit. "crooked path" which means "criminal career".

I wonder if it's intentional?

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well, Darth Vader has been roughly translated to mean "Dark Father", so it's possible.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I would have thought it was cosinga palpatine ii (like his dad). On the other had, it does explain why palpatine hated his parents.
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

That's an odd first name. I would have preferred:
There are some who call me... 'Tim'? =D
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I always thought Darth was just short for DARk lord of the siTH as a kid. I think Lucas made up some BS about it being Dark Father, but as the name was around before Vader was actually Luke's dad, I doubt it and I'm probably correct.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Tritio wrote:That's an odd first name. I would have preferred:
There are some who call me... 'Tim'? =D
That would have been bad ass. :lol:
Timothy, Timustrus, Timoffen, Timmos, anything that could be shortened to Tim. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)