George Lucas says Empire Strikes Back was the Worst Star War

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

George Lucas says Empire Strikes Back was the Worst Star War

Post by Eframepilot »

Link
George Lucas says Empire Strikes Back was the Worst Star Wars Movie

Posted on Sunday, February 11th, 2007 by Peter Sciretta
George Lucas drawing

On Wednesday, George Lucas said that Empire Strikes Back was the worst film in the Star Wars series. Sometimes I’m not sure if Lucas is trying to be funny. In this case I really hope so. He can’t be that clueless, can he?

Entertainment blogger David Poland recalls Lucas’ comment on Wednesday at the Publicist’s Guild luncheon: “George Lucas, giving the award to Sid Ganis, who was the in-house publicist on Star Wars: Episode Five – The Empire Strikes Back, said, ‘Sid is the reason why The Empire Strikes Back is always written about as the best of the films, when it actually was the worst one.’”

Empire is considered by many to be the best film in the series. The film has a user rating os a 8.8 with almost 150,000 votes, making it the 9th best film on imdb.com.

A lot of people don’t know this but Empire was actually directed by Irvin Kershner, and not Lucas. May-be George is just jealous? He can’t be serious, Can he?
Found this on a Google search for some old Lucas quote. Old as fuck, and possibly posted here before, but I found it shocking enough to post again. If this is true, it explains so very very much.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: George Lucas says Empire Strikes Back was the Worst Star

Post by Srelex »

Meh, a lot of random comments have been attributed to Lucas over the years from random sources.

For what it's worth, he did seem to praise Kreshner's work on it when he died.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The internet haters will probably run wild with this. It's actually not that shocking to me, as I've seen quite a few people say the same exact thing. The critics and the internet community hails TESB as perfection. A lot of people I know were put off by the inconclusive ending and a few parts that they thought were slow.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Jim Raynor wrote:The internet haters will probably run wild with this. It's actually not that shocking to me, as I've seen quite a few people say the same exact thing. The critics and the internet community hails TESB as perfection. A lot of people I know were put off by the inconclusive ending and a few parts that they thought were slow.
Er, this is old news. It's from 2007, and at this point if it was something for them to run wild with we'd have noticed.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Jim Raynor wrote:The internet haters will probably run wild with this. It's actually not that shocking to me, as I've seen quite a few people say the same exact thing. The critics and the internet community hails TESB as perfection. A lot of people I know were put off by the inconclusive ending and a few parts that they thought were slow.
I had the same opinion when I was 13, finding Hoth slow and the whole movie depressing. I also thought that ROTJ was the best of the trilogy, and I loved the Ewoks. Fortunately, my taste has matured (somewhat) since then. Lucas's taste, on the other hand...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

One of the best comments on TESB I ever heard was in Something, Something Darkside, when Yoda refers to the cave on Dagobah dismissively as "its very confusing and it stops the movie dead". :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

You sure he says that about the movie itself and not the creation of it?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

This is so obviously a joke that I have to wonder about all of you, and the writer of the article too. Granted, only one commenter got it too, but then again the act of commenting on articles lowers your brainpower by about half- that's why I never do it.
Seriously what the fuck is your major malfunction wrote:“George Lucas, giving the award to Sid Ganis, who was the in-house publicist on Star Wars: Episode Five – The Empire Strikes Back, said, ‘Sid is the reason why The Empire Strikes Back is always written about as the best of the films, when it actually was the worst one.’
Yeah, I'm sure that he's completely serious about this when giving the guy an award, rather than making a joke related to the award he's giving. You guys remember the last time he made a joke and the whole Internet assumed he was serious? Guess he decided it was the worst while sitting in his private spaceship.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

:lol:

It's always fun to see where the deep seated contempt some fans hold Lucas in leads them. This time it was an obvious joke taken as confirmation that he is, in fact, the devil. I'm still not so sure on the "why" though; it is a most perplexing behaviour.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

He raped some fat pimply nerds childhoods. The prequels didn't meet 20 something years of expectations and Jar Jar. Simple as that.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

You could argue from George's point of view he had the least amount of control over this movie than any other. But i'm sure George would rate them based on their gross takings, like any other businessman.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

aussiemuscle308 wrote:You could argue from George's point of view he had the least amount of control over this movie than any other.
You could argue it, but you would be wrong. On ANH Lucas had to get approval from 20th Century Fox for most of the decisions he and the producer (Gary Kurtz) made.