Red Letter Media RotS Review Up

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Red Letter Media RotS Review Up

Post by Aaron »

http://www.redlettermedia.com/sith.html

It's up in three 35-45ish minute parts on his site. I didn't see it on Youtube yet. I know some here found the first two enjoyable (as did I) but I haven't had the chance to watch more then the first ten minutes or so.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Red Letter Media RotS Review Up

Post by adam_grif »

Just came here to post this but you beat me.

Also in the progress of watching.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

It was entertaining, but nowhere near as good as the previous reviews. Maybe it was rushed.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Normally Plinckett's reviews consistently make valid points, this one though I can't help but shake my head when he gets to the part where the Jedi takes over and questions why they would do this, but he conveniently leaves out the part where Anakin informed Windu that Palpatine is a Sith Lord.

Also the expendable clones part, where he criticizes Anakin's concern for them stating that everyone regards them as expendable, except the only time in any movie we see how the Jedi feel about the Clones is when Anakin shows concern for them.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

General Schatten wrote:Normally Plinckett's reviews consistently make valid points, this one though I can't help but shake my head when he gets to the part where the Jedi takes over and questions why they would do this, but he conveniently leaves out the part where Anakin informed Windu that Palpatine is a Sith Lord.

Also the expendable clones part, where he criticizes Anakin's concern for them stating that everyone regards them as expendable, except the only time in any movie we see how the Jedi feel about the Clones is when Anakin shows concern for them.
Actually I think he was questioning why they did it the way they did. He had a good few minutes on different ways to unmask Palpatine without going to confront him directly.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

There were areas where I disagreed with him, but I think the overall message he was trying to imply is correct. There was no connection with the audience, through a host of mistakes. His insights into the lack of richness in sets, camera angles, and editing I thought were correct. His interlacing between the original trilogy and the prequels was effective in showing the lack of depth in a scene.

Too bad that last scene was deliberately confusing. I'll never know if she kills him.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

General Schatten wrote:Normally Plinckett's reviews consistently make valid points, this one though I can't help but shake my head when he gets to the part where the Jedi takes over and questions why they would do this, but he conveniently leaves out the part where Anakin informed Windu that Palpatine is a Sith Lord.
Uh, no, his point is that there are literally dozens of different ways to oust Palpatine and all of them make way more sense than what happened in the film.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Still not as good as his TPM review, but that's a tough act to follow. Still, he makes salient points that will no doubt be refuted here by people citing the EU or by making convoluted rationalizations that the rest of us dullards should be able to see as being "obvious." :roll:
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I did enjoy him calling out the Shroud Of The Dark Side (TM) bullshit several times :)
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

The argument he makes concerning the lifelessness of the prequels and the particular shots and the way green screen is constricting as opposed to filming on actual sets or locations resonates with me. When he does a montage of how many important moments occur while sitting on a couch it really clicked for me. The sheer boredom of the prequels is really highlighted and the artificiality of it all combined with unnecessary eye candy is well documented in his examples.

I've never run across this guy before so I went back and watched his other reviews and they were all pretty much spot on for the prequels. They are lifeless and mostly nonsensical as opposed to what we get in the OT. The whole "serial killer" shtick he does I can do without. Funny the first time but groan inducing after the 15th reference.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Can someone quickly post a few of his points about how the Jedi should have ousted Palpatine instead?

And "Mr. Plinkett's" TPM review is fucking lameass nerd bullshit. It's not a bunch of valid points, but rather a load of unlearned, pseudointellectual idiocy, trying to pass itself off as sensible analysis but instead revealing ignorance on multiple subjects that go beyond the actual film. And oh yeah, it downright broke down into incoherent stuttering and dorky dramatics more than once. I've been talking a lot about writing up a lengthy response to this overrated geek idol, which has taken me a long time, partially out of the length of the work but also because of lack of interest. I forgot about him myself, but now this new review might provide that spark of interest for me to wrap up the final editing and get the word out on this retard once and for all.

And I know this is some "tough" talk, but if anyone wants me to back it up I'd be happy to send a lengthy private message. I've already given a long list to one person already.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

As Plinkett said, there are two types of people in this world: people who understand what he's saying...and people who liked the Star Wars prequels.

But feel free to write up a lengthy rebuttal. I'm sure you'll succeed in refuting everything he said. :lol:
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Galvatron wrote:Still not as good as his TPM review, but that's a tough act to follow. Still, he makes salient points that will no doubt be refuted here by people citing the EU or by making convoluted rationalizations that the rest of us dullards should be able to see as being "obvious." :roll:
As I've stated in my post above, I've been intermittently writing up a long response to his TPM review for a while now. One of my ground rules was "no EU," and in fact I have read all of a handful of EU novels (Thrawn trilogy and a couple other post-ROTJ books). RLM is horseshit, and it's a pure excuse if he or anyone else dismisses his detractors as suckup fanboys citing obscure EU sources.

It's not "EU," if I think he's a fucking dumbass for saying "just start fighting all of them" (direct quote) when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were literally staring at hundreds, or thousands of battledroids. As a more sensible alternative to their actual plan in the movie of splitting up and sneaking out, just a minute after having to flee from a mere two Droidekas.

It's not "EU" if I think he's a moron for not grasping the concept of shields getting shot down before the ship starts suffering physical damage. Or for carrying on for a good two minutes with some black-and-white, false dilemma based bitching against one innocuous line about a ship being a "sitting duck," without shields, claiming that if it did have shields up then it should be able to "breeze" through a blockade. Right before nitpicking visuals down to a few frames, while simultaneously displaying visual evidence that contradicts his very points.

It's not "EU" if he's too goddamed stupid to understand the theme of fear leading to anger, hatred, and suffering.

Just a few examples. I'll send out a bigger list to anyone who asks for it, on the way to eventually publishing my full response.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Jim Raynor wrote:As I've stated in my post above, I've been intermittently writing up a long response to his TPM review for a while now. One of my ground rules was "no EU," and in fact I have read all of a handful of EU novels (Thrawn trilogy and a couple other post-ROTJ books). RLM is horseshit, and it's a pure excuse if he or anyone else dismisses his detractors as suckup fanboys citing obscure EU sources.
You really don't get it. There's nothing to "rebut". By focusing on minor details like whether Plinkett is correct about the "concept of shields getting shot down" you come off as way more obsessed with "fucking lameass nerd bullshit" than Plinkett himself. Nobody gives a shit if Plinkett is wrong about this or that detail. The point is these movies just don't resonate emotionally with the audience the way the OT did. Instead of interesting, relatable characters with hopes and dreams like Luke and Han, we get sterile Obi-Wan and Padme. Instead of tangible, realistic looking sets or on-location shooting we get a bunch of guys standing around in front of a CGI demo-reel delivering flat dialogue. And worst of all, instead of being told the story of a good man who fell from grace, we get a story about a unrelatable whiny idiot with major psychological issues who (sort of) gets tricked into becoming evil and then just goes along with it or whatever.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Channel72 wrote:There's nothing to "rebut". By focusing on minor details like whether Plinkett is correct about the "concept of shields getting shot down" you come off as way more obsessed with "fucking lameass nerd bullshit" than Plinkett himself.
LOL, excuses, excuses. I'm not the one who posted a 70 minute long review, wasting a good 2 minutes bitching, nitpicking (and being retarded) about fucking starship shield mechanics. It's one thing for me to refute his bitching in an extensive response to what he already wrote. It's quite another thing for him to come out first be fucking dorky retard (for a good two minutes) about one innocuous detail in a movie that offended nobody and wasn't even problematic.
Nobody gives a shit if Plinkett is wrong about this or that detail. The point is these movies just don't resonate emotionally with the audience the way the OT did.
Funny, because then you'd have to admit that you don't give a shit about most of nerdboy's review, since most of it is a bitchfest over nitpicky details. If it truly was about how much the movies subjectively didn't resonate with the audience (which itself is refuted by well-documented box office earnings, Cinemascore rating, and audience polls), then it wouldn't be 70 fucking minutes long. It takes a few minutes to state a basic opinion like that. Nerdboy's problem is that he goes well beyond the safe area of expressing basic opinions, and attempts to nitpick many details on a factual and intellectual basis. I actually enjoy good, in-depth fanboy analysis, if it is done well. But nerdboy brings the nitpicky and condescending attitude, without the actual intelligence or effort to back up his shit.
worst of all, instead of being told the story of a good man who fell from grace, we get a story about a unrelatable whiny idiot who (sort of) gets tricked into becoming evil and then just goes along with it or whatever.
We got a tragedy of an idealistic, well-intentioned boy who succumbed to his pride as well as manipulation and his own tragic experiences. But however you want to look at that, it doesn't fucking come close to defending Nerdboy's retarded, overly-long and childish reviews. You're clearly making excuses if you ignore the MASS of nitpicky, detail-oriented criticism that makes up the bulk of his work. So cut your own bullshit and step back if you aren't able to discuss this with me.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

By the way, it's hardly a nitpicky detail if I point out that RLM also claims that the plot of TPM didn't make sense, because Qui-Gon supposedly didn't have justifiable reason to claim an invasion of Naboo. After attempts on his life, as well as seeing the invasion army landing with his own eyes.

If RLM isn't just dishonestly throwing any shit out there with the hopes that it will stick in the minds of unobservant viewers, then he's a retard of EPIC proportions. He lacks a fundamental understanding of very basic parts of the plot that he is criticizing.

Would you like a private message, Channel72? Or are you afraid that the image of your dork idol will be tarnished?

Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Jim Raynor wrote:LOL, excuses, excuses. I'm not the one who posted a 70 minute long review, wasting a good 2 minutes bitching, nitpicking (and being retarded) about fucking starship shield mechanics. It's one thing for me to refute his bitching in an extensive response to what he already wrote. It's quite another thing for him to come out first be fucking dorky retard (for a good two minutes) about one innocuous detail in a movie that offended nobody and wasn't even problematic.
Um... have you even watched these reviews? Yeah, he goes off on tangents talking about plot problems or nitpicking this or that detail, but the overall emphasis is on the failure of the Prequels to resonate with the audience. I just watched his RotS review, and the central theme of the review is a lack of direction, lack of emotional connection, inconsistent tone and characterization, and assembly-line like plot. Even the original TPM review started off by talking about the flat, unrelatable characters. As for the pedantic nitpickery, a lot of it is just part of his schtick. Check out his review of "Star Trek: First Contact" where he spends like 15 minutes talking about how some control room in the Enterprise has no purpose or whatever. I have no idea if that particular criticism is legitimate, (perhaps some nerd with a Enterprise-E tech manual could prove Plinkett wrong) but regardless it's pretty funny.
Jim Raynor wrote:Funny, because then you'd have to admit that you don't give a shit about most of nerdboy's review, since most of it is a bitchfest over nitpicky details. If it truly was about how much the movies subjectively didn't resonate with the audience (which itself is refuted by well-documented box office earnings, Cinemascore rating, and audience polls), then it wouldn't be 70 fucking minutes long.
Yawn... Really? This argument again? It's Star Wars. The brand awareness alone is enough to guarantee incredible box-office earnings. Look, this is simple: in general, the Prequels are regarded as worse than the originals, but not as bad as people like Plinkett think. End of story. However, Plinkett's reviews lend some interesting insight into why the Prequels are not considered as good.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

General Schatten wrote:Also the expendable clones part, where he criticizes Anakin's concern for them stating that everyone regards them as expendable, except the only time in any movie we see how the Jedi feel about the Clones is when Anakin shows concern for them.
...what a fucking retard. Clones would seem no different than any generic conscript soldiers, to the people fighting by their side. You've got to have an inhumanly asshole mindset it to think "lolz clones r expendable."

You know why Anakin was concerned about the clones, from a story writing perspective? It's called fucking characterization. Anakin is idealistic. He sympathizes with the grunts, the commoners, and the oppressed, growing up as a slave himself. He's also very protective and attached to his friends and allies. His numerous rescues and attempted rescues during battle are a recurring point throughout the prequels.

"Plinkett" (or whatever this idiot is called) doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Channel72 wrote:Um... have you even watched these reviews? Yeah, he goes off on tangents talking about plot problems or nitpicking this or that detail, but the overall emphasis is on the failure of the Prequels to resonate with the audience.
Have YOU watched his reviews? I currently have an unfinished, 67-page, point-by-point response to his TPM review, citing specific times when he made each point. I can safely say that I "know" his TPM review better than anyone else that I've seen. The bulk of it is lame, ignorant, nitpicky bullshit that attempts to dissect plot points and portray the movie as objectively stupid.
As for the pedantic nitpickery, a lot of it is just part of his schtick.
You are so pitiful. You object to my arguments against the quality of his work (based on most of it being shitty nitpicking)...then you go on to admit the nitpicking and pass it off as "part of his schtick." Despite his childishly stupid act, "Plinkett" is a grown man and doesn't need you holding his balls for him. If he wrote stupid ass shit, then he wrote stupid ass shit. No need to make excuses.
Check out his review of "Star Trek: First Contact"
I'd rather not waste my time anymore than I already have with this guy.
However, Plinkett's reviews lend some interesting insight into why the Prequels are not considered as good.
I would think that to have "insight" on a movie's plot, you would need a basic understanding of what the fuck happened. Instead of repeatedly arguing that the Trade Federation shouldn't have even TRIED to cover up its crimes, but that they should have openly screwed themselves over for Sidious's benefit. You shouldn't be able to say shit like that without being denounced as an idiot by everyone else. He's an epic retard.

Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Jim Raynor wrote:Have YOU watched his reviews? I currently have an unfinished, 67-page, point-by-point response to his TPM review, citing specific times when he made each point. I can safely say that I "know" his TPM review better than anyone else that I've seen.
Holy shit. In that case, I bow to your superior expertise on all things Plinkett. I just thought Plinkett was hilarious and insightful, but you're really taking this to a whole new level. Is he your arch-nemesis or something? This is turning into some kind of nerd-version of Moby Dick.

I only hope your rebuttals are as hilarious as the actual reviews.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

This was a good addition to his other reviews because it got into the more mechanical problems with the films rather than the silly plot and character issues. Seeing all the CGI walk-and-talk scenes compared was particularly enlightening.
Channel72 wrote:And worst of all, instead of being told the story of a good man who fell from grace, we get a story about a unrelatable whiny idiot with major psychological issues who (sort of) gets tricked into becoming evil and then just goes along with it or whatever.
And the worst part about it is how nothing they did really mattered to the original movies. Calling attention to the nice neat bow the end of ROTS ties on the prequel story drives that home. Yoda nearly defeats the Emperor. Obi Wan does defeat Anakin/Vader. So... they give up and wait 18 years? Why?! We know why Vader kills the Emperor in ROTJ so... Lucas adds this lie about what killed Padme into the story?
Jim Raynor wrote:Would you like a private message, Channel72? Or are you afraid that the image of your dork idol will be tarnished?
What the fuck is all this posturing about? Either post your shit or go away until you're ready to defend your idol Lucas. This thread isn't even about the TPM review.

Thanks to the post review function I just saw this:
Jim Raynor wrote:Have YOU watched his reviews? I currently have an unfinished, 67-page, point-by-point response to his TPM review, citing specific times when he made each point. I can safely say that I "know" his TPM review better than anyone else that I've seen. The bulk of it is lame, ignorant, nitpicky bullshit that attempts to dissect plot points and portray the movie as objectively stupid.
Jesus Christ. You wrote a 70 page defense of TPM against one particular internet commentator's review video? :lol:
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Channel72 wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:Have YOU watched his reviews? I currently have an unfinished, 67-page, point-by-point response to his TPM review, citing specific times when he made each point. I can safely say that I "know" his TPM review better than anyone else that I've seen.
Holy shit. In that case, I bow to your superior expertise on all things Plinkett.
Then step the fuck back and stop giving me your lameass defenses for an inconceivably stupid, thirtysomething fanwhore.
I just thought Plinkett was hilarious and insightful,
I don't give a damn if you think he's "hilarious." I do not, but whether he's funny or not falls into the realm of subjective opinion, which is pointless for debating. But to call him "insightful" and repeatedly defend his work on numerous points (as you have in multiple past threads) is something else. That can be debated. If you can't debate it then avoid acting like you can.
but you're really taking this to a whole new level. Is he your arch-nemesis or something? This is turning into some kind of nerd-version of Moby Dick.
Fucking hilarious. I'm going too far by typing something up in Microsoft Word, intermittently over the course of half a year because most of the time I hardly give a shit and have better things to do. But you don't criticize this guy for being a loudmouth, flooding the internet with lousy, 70-90 minute, painstakenly edited video reviews.

You know, I don't even think TPM is even THAT good. I enjoyed the movie and happily accept it as part of the SW canon, but it has some flaws that are apparent to everyone including its supporters. I'm not up against this guy because I'm some kind of diehard fan (and I have done my fair share of scathing fanboy criticism against official SW material, such as during that whole Traviss shitstorm).

No, the reason I don't like this guy is because he represents everything that I see as wrong with the online geek community. I'm fucking geeky as well but I refuse to identify with his sort of people. Nitpicky, pseudointellectual, and obnoxious. Online hostility can be acceptable (this is SD.net after all, where we constantly bash all sorts of stupid people), but only when it's backed up with intelligence. This guy isn't smart, he's downright ignorant. And many of his points come across as dishonest as well. He irks me the way Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin do, except those assholes at least have the decency to bullshit over important real-life topics. Yet many people, including those on SD.net, give him a free pass and even agree with his horribly-made points. Along with stupidity and dishonesty, overrating is one of my pet peeves.
I only hope your rebuttals are as hilarious as the actual reviews.
I prefer substance over nerdass "style" (because let's face it, "Plinkett's" dorkass act would never pass muster in mainstream entertainment), but what I'm basically doing right now is trying to spice things up to make my response more enjoyable to read. Nevertheless, I don't give a damn if I'm as "funny" as he is. As far as I'm concerned, if RLM's TPM review gets a pass for being "comedy," then that's no better than comparing it to a Tom Green movie.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:Would you like a private message, Channel72? Or are you afraid that the image of your dork idol will be tarnished?
What the fuck is all this posturing about? Either post your shit or go away until you're ready to defend your idol Lucas. This thread isn't even about the TPM review.
I've only avoided posting my preview list because it's several thousand words long itself, you prick. I've already offered to send it to anyone who wants to see it. In fact I will send it to you after this post.

Yes, this thread isn't about TPM review, which is another reason I didn't post my preview list or my total work so far. Which is why I asked for someone to quickly post RLM's points about how the Jedi should have deposed Palpatine in ROTS, something that NO ONE has responded to yet.
Jim Raynor wrote:Have YOU watched his reviews? I currently have an unfinished, 67-page, point-by-point response to his TPM review, citing specific times when he made each point. I can safely say that I "know" his TPM review better than anyone else that I've seen. The bulk of it is lame, ignorant, nitpicky bullshit that attempts to dissect plot points and portray the movie as objectively stupid.
Jesus Christ. You wrote a 70 page defense of TPM against one particular internet commentator's review video? :lol:
Contrary to you and RLM, the world doesn't operate in black-and-white fallacies. My response defends TPM against many of his points, but I've never seen it as a "defense of TPM." It is primarily a denouncement of an overrated, dishonest retard.

Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Wow Jim you are amazing. I have never seen anyone in my life get into such a sheer nerd rage over someone posting something they don't like. The fanatical vigour you must possess to actually create a 70 page defence over a film would make even make the most fundamentalist christian look like Richard Dawkins. I have no idea why you are so enraged about RLM's reviews or how many inches it made your nerd penis shrink but you are pretty much vindicating the very nerd stereotype he mocked in the reviews themselves. What did he invite you to his basement. :lol:

But please go on and rage about this some more in a manner of a monkey throwing it's poo. Maybe when you calm down from your nerd hyperventilation you will realise actual adults can discuss this review (Like I and Shatten did) without producing a permavirgin dissertation or screaming at people who dare disagree with. I will get more onto this a bit later and actually give you the substance you so desperately want but in the mean time I need to sleep. I look forward to your nerd screeching.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention this. While you are still probably brewing your amazing take down of RLM then please consider that the actual vital points of story mechanics, acting, sets, tone etc completely flew over your head. In fact hilariously enough, you spout on about how RLM is a nitpicking fatty nerd that put most hardcore DnDers to shame...only to proceed on and focus on nitpicking. Amazing work there.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It isn't defending a movie to highlight errors in criticism. Frankly, that anyone expects accuracy from Internet 'comedians' is bizarre.