Rise of Skywalker news.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Rise of Skywalker news.

Post by Vympel »

ray245 wrote: 2019-08-28 11:14am And this is where you are wrong. Filmmaking and storytelling is not merely about what is being shown on screen, but whether what's been shown on screen can be communicated effectively to an audience. A film can have all the right ticks, but if the way it present the information to the audience is ineffective, then it can be criticised for a failure to execute those story-points well.

Filmmaking is an art and not a science, and your approach towards dismissing people's issues with the movies is useless because it's not going to stop people from feeling they don't understand the story well. A good defence of a film from criticism must take into account WHY certain themes or plotlines failed to resonate with a large portion of the audience.

Instead of saying "They didn't really consider the implications of anything that happened in TFA", you need to consider WHY the audience didn't consider the implications of anything that happened in TFA. As long as your arguments failed to address it, you can harp on the same point again and again and it's not going to sound convincing to anyone.
"TFA didn't effectively communicate XYZ" is not an argument this breed of fans make. It's an argument you're making, and it's a different one that what I'm talking about. The argument I'm referring to is one that refuses to accept what TFA actually communicated - effectively or not - and instead constructs elaborate, convoluted bullshit about why it's TLJ specifically that is wrong, and not their interpretation of TFA. It's simply not my fucking problem that some obtuse fanboy isn't convinced by objective facts of what is and isn't stated in TFA - it's incumbent on them to think "huh, maybe I fucked up but that's the film's fault*", not on me to lead them there.

*and then that argument can be had. For one, the idea that it's entirely a film's fault that a rabid segment of the highly devoted, insular fanbase won't let go of their misconceptions about what it's communicating - no matter how poorly supported or logically incoherent - its laughable. People need to take some personal responsibility for their mistakes.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2019-08-28 11:18am
"TFA didn't effectively communicate XYZ" is not an argument this breed of fans make. It's an argument you're making, and it's a different one that what I'm talking about. The argument I'm referring to is one that refuses to accept what TFA actually communicated - effectively or not - and instead constructs elaborate, convoluted bullshit about why it's TLJ specifically that is wrong, and not their interpretation of TFA. It's simply not my fucking problem that some obtuse fanboy isn't convinced by objective facts of what is and isn't stated in TFA - it's incumbent on them to think "huh, maybe I fucked up but that's the film's fault*", not on me to lead them there.
No, but your argument fails to acknowledge this. Because in order for an argument to be effective, you need to address the perspective of fans who do feel that way about the film. What makes a person enjoy or not enjoy a film is about their perspective, and as long as you fail to understand the perspective of people who didn't enjoy the film, any argument you made in defence of the movie is going to be useless noise.
*and then that argument can be had. For one, the idea that it's entirely a film's fault that a rabid segment of the highly devoted, insular fanbase won't let go of their misconceptions about what it's communicating - no matter how poorly supported or logically incoherent - its laughable. People need to take some personal responsibility for their mistakes.
I completely disagree. Filmmaking and storytelling is communication 101. It's not about what happens in a plot, but how the storytelling tells the plot in a way that engages with the audience. Avatar can have the most boring and recycled plot, but it was the no.2 box office of all time because James Cameron was able to tell the plot in an engaging manner that communicates many of his themes and visual experience to the audience.

Filmmaking is an art of communication. There are tons of ways a director can frame the scenes and movies that allows the audience to understand things more easily or get into a certain point of view that absorbs information rather easily.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

ray245 wrote: 2019-08-28 11:28am No, but your argument fails to acknowledge this. Because in order for an argument to be effective, you need to address the perspective of fans who do feel that way about the film. What makes a person enjoy or not enjoy a film is about their perspective, and as long as you fail to understand the perspective of people who didn't enjoy the film, any argument you made in defence of the movie is going to be useless noise.
I have addressed their perspective. Their perspective is that their idiot interpretation of the film is correct and that they were betrayed by someone who wasn't paying attention to the film. The opposite is true.
I completely disagree. Filmmaking and storytelling is communication 101. It's not about what happens in a plot, but how the storytelling tells the plot in a way that engages with the audience. Avatar can have the most boring and recycled plot, but it was the no.2 box office of all time because James Cameron was able to tell the plot in an engaging manner that communicates many of his themes and visual experience to the audience.

Filmmaking is an art of communication. There are tons of ways a director can frame the scenes and movies that allows the audience to understand things more easily or get into a certain point of view that absorbs information rather easily.
I find this analogy hilarious. Yes, use Avatar as an example of how effective storytelling and communication is 100% a film's fault - which is why sci-fi fan discourse is full of reactionary dipshits who insist despite everything the film communicated that the humans were the good guys and that the Navi were villains. :lol:

Like, that you could say with a straight face that you 'completely disagree' with something this fundamental - the mind boggles. All filmgoers are perfectly neutral entirely rational beings with no pre-existing preferences, ideologies, beliefs or intellectual blindspots, so if they fuck up in comprehending a movie's plot or story it is always 100% the film's fault. :roll:
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2019-08-28 11:35am I have addressed their perspective. Their perspective is that their idiot interpretation of the film is correct and that they were betrayed by someone who wasn't paying attention to the film. The opposite is true.
And yet it is a perspective that is shared by a large number of people. Simply dismissing those views and perspective as if it is just the fault of the viewer is useless in making an argument in defence of the movie.

I find this analogy hilarious. Yes, use Avatar as an example of how effective storytelling and communication is 100% a film's fault - which is why sci-fi fan discourse is full of reactionary dipshits who insist despite everything the film communicated that the humans were the good guys and that the Navi were villains. :lol:
Given that most people don't think the humans were the good guys, and the people that do argue for this are mostly people that stays around in sci-fi forums with very right-wing leanings, with very relaxed attitudes towards things like imperialism and genocide and Avatar is the 2nd highest grossing box office of all time and it did extremely extremely well around the world, even in developing countries, I think it is safe to say it is an extreme minority view.

Like, that you could say with a straight face that you 'completely disagree' with something this fundamental - the mind boggles. All filmgoers are perfectly neutral entirely rational beings with no pre-existing preferences, ideologies, beliefs or intellectual blindspots, so if they fuck up in comprehending a movie's plot or story it is always 100% the film's fault. :roll:
If the same kind of criticisms only comes from a very sectarian group of fans, then I will be more dismissive of those complaints. But if I had heard the same kinds of complaints that arise from a wider demographic of fans, then it becomes an issue of the film rather than the issue of the audience.

But I think the filmmakers always carries a greater burden of responsibility than the audience. If your idea of film criticism is to blame the audience for not getting it, then I think you are quite terrible at critiquing films and storytelling. I think some of the best and most respected film critics like Roger Ebert got to where they are because they understand how important it is to frame film criticism from the perspective of the audience and NOT the filmmaker.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Poster for RoS (hmm, the abreviations for RoS and RotS are going to be really easy to mix up):

Hello there Sheev. Long time no see.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Fun fact: The image of Palpatine in the background of the poster seems to be from a Hot Toys figurine (Emperor Palpatine Deluxe from the Movie Masterpiece Series).
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

tezunegari wrote: 2019-08-28 06:48pm Fun fact: The image of Palpatine in the background of the poster seems to be from a Hot Toys figurine (Emperor Palpatine Deluxe from the Movie Masterpiece Series).
That would seem to fit my theory that Palpatine won't appear in the flesh, but as a disembodied voice/Force ghost.

Or maybe they just haven't finished touching up/editing Palps' scenes yet? Has there been any word on whether post-production is finished yet?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-28 06:50pm
tezunegari wrote: 2019-08-28 06:48pm Fun fact: The image of Palpatine in the background of the poster seems to be from a Hot Toys figurine (Emperor Palpatine Deluxe from the Movie Masterpiece Series).
That would seem to fit my theory that Palpatine won't appear in the flesh, but as a disembodied voice/Force ghost.

Or maybe they just haven't finished touching up/editing Palps' scenes yet? Has there been any word on whether post-production is finished yet?
No info on the Post-production status yet.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

ray245 wrote: 2019-08-28 11:49am And yet it is a perspective that is shared by a large number of people. Simply dismissing those views and perspective as if it is just the fault of the viewer is useless in making an argument in defence of the movie.
So is the belief that the Navi were villains and the humans were in the right. Clearly, Avatar is entirely to blame for this state of affairs.
Given that most people don't think the humans were the good guys, and the people that do argue for this are mostly people that stays around in sci-fi forums with very right-wing leanings, with very relaxed attitudes towards things like imperialism and genocide and Avatar is the 2nd highest grossing box office of all time and it did extremely extremely well around the world, even in developing countries, I think it is safe to say it is an extreme minority view.
The bitching and moaning that Luke was actually off at Wizard School getting More Magic or some shit is also a minority view that you encounter in sci-fi forums - not something that's aggressively pushed by 'normies' for lack of a better term. Casual fans or the general audience don't entertain themselves by smearing poo all over social media about how there's strife at Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy is going to be fired etc etc as a result. Furthermore, your saying that the beliefs of reactionary dipshits is a minority view is immaterial - it's an inherent concession that your 'complete disagreement' with what I was saying is unsustainable. As a matter of principle, you recognise that some people hold unreasonable views about films based on things the film is not actually communicating, which is what I am saying.
If the same kind of criticisms only comes from a very sectarian group of fans, then I will be more dismissive of those complaints. But if I had heard the same kinds of complaints that arise from a wider demographic of fans, then it becomes an issue of the film rather than the issue of the audience.

But I think the filmmakers always carries a greater burden of responsibility than the audience. If your idea of film criticism is to blame the audience for not getting it, then I think you are quite terrible at critiquing films and storytelling. I think some of the best and most respected film critics like Roger Ebert got to where they are because they understand how important it is to frame film criticism from the perspective of the audience and NOT the filmmaker.
As above. We've gone from arguing whether its entirely the film's fault to saying the filmmakers carry a greater burden of responsibility than the audience. Now its details and what is and isn't reasonable to believe.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2019-08-28 07:30pm So is the belief that the Navi were villains and the humans were in the right. Clearly, Avatar is entirely to blame for this state of affairs.
The only people even talking about the Navi being villains are a tiny bunch of people on mil-sci-fi forums. They aren't even relevant to any discussions unless you only frequent mil-sci-fi forums. You are overstating their importance.
The bitching and moaning that Luke was actually off at Wizard School getting More Magic or some shit is also a minority view that you encounter in sci-fi forums - not something that's aggressively pushed by 'normies' for lack of a better term. Casual fans or the general audience don't entertain themselves by smearing poo all over social media about how there's strife at Lucasfilm etc etc. Furthermore, your saying that the beliefs of reactionary dipshits is a minority view is immaterial - it's an inherent concession that your 'complete disagreement' with what I was saying is unsustainable. As a matter of principle, you recognise that some people hold unreasonable views about films based on things the film is not actually communicating, which is what I am saying.
The complaining about Luke is a lot more widespread than complaints about the Navi in Avatar based on what I have seen and witness across the internet and hearing complaints about it in real life. I do not even the two scenario are comparable because the SW fandom is inherently much bigger than any Avatar fandom, and discussion about SW easily cross over into casual water-cooler conversation than discussion about Navis and humans in Avatar.

Considering Mark Hamill had expressed some amount of reservations about the direction of Luke Skywalker, it suggest it's not exactly the viewpoint that only comes from a tiny far-right minority). Hell, even JJ Abrams is extremely reserved about what he thinks about TLJ whenever he is asked about it after the release of the film.

I think if the complaints about TFA and TLJ were complaints held by a very tiny minority of fans, then those views can be easily dismissed. While I do think many of the fans who complaint about TLJ were a minority, I don't think they are a tiny minority on par with the people who think Navis are the bad guys.

As above. We've gone from arguing whether its entirely the film's fault to saying the filmmakers carry a greater burden of responsibility than the audience. Now its details and what is and isn't reasonable to believe.
How the film present information is the responsibility of the director. If certain complaints becomes quite prevalent among many members of the audience, then it is reasonable to say it was the fault of the film and the director's failure to communicate certain ideas clearly.

I love the prequels, but I must acknowledge the fact that many people were indeed bothered by the dialogue. I don't go around telling them how Anakin's poor romantic dialogue is realistic for a teenager who has never been in a relationship before. I recognise it as a failure of the film and George Lucas to effectively communicate what he wanted to tell his audience ( which is create movie romance reminiscent of early 20th century films).
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The funny thing is, I think most of TLJ was garbage yet I didn't really have any qualms about its depiction of Luke. Maybe it's because I never saw in him the same Jedi messiah that so many others did and it therefore came as no surprise to me that he wasn't equal to the task of rebuilding the order.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-29 01:15am The funny thing is, I think most of TLJ was garbage yet I didn't really have any qualms about its depiction of Luke. Maybe it's because I never saw in him the same Jedi messiah that so many others did and it therefore came as no surprise to me that he wasn't equal to the task of rebuilding the order.
There's two main things happening with Luke, I think:

The first is OT fans who can't bear the idea that Luke isn't a flawless paragon, or isn't the way they imagined him in their fanfics.

The other is fans who are angry that we didn't get a "bad ass" scene of Luke single-handedly blowing up the entire First Order army with his awesome Jedi powers (thus showing that the completely miss the point of the Force, the Jedi, and Luke as a character). Some of them make this yearning for a male power fantasy more overt, using the depiction of Luke as "proof" that film had an anti-male agenda, because it made Luke weaker compared to Rey or some shit.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I blame the old EU for more than two solid decades of wanking the shit out of Luke. One can hardly blame the fans for not being able to disregard that sort of conditioning over night.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-29 01:47am I blame the old EU for more than two solid decades of wanking the shit out of Luke. One can hardly blame the fans for not being able to disregard that sort of conditioning over night.
True.

Its like Superman- they kept piling more and more powers onto Luke until he stopped seeming bad ass, and just started seeming silly. A super-powerful character can be interesting if you explore the consequences of them having that power, but very few writers seem to do that well.

Edit: Mind you, to me, the way he utterly out-manuvered Kylo with an illusion is way, way more impressive than him blowing up an army with his brain or light saber dueling all the Knights of Ren at once or something would have been. To quote Sun Tzu again:
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."
"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

ray245 wrote: 2019-08-28 07:46pm The complaining about Luke is a lot more widespread than complaints about the Navi in Avatar based on what I have seen and witness across the internet and hearing complaints about it in real life. I do not even the two scenario are comparable because the SW fandom is inherently much bigger than any Avatar fandom, and discussion about SW easily cross over into casual water-cooler conversation than discussion about Navis and humans in Avatar.

Considering Mark Hamill had expressed some amount of reservations about the direction of Luke Skywalker, it suggest it's not exactly the viewpoint that only comes from a tiny far-right minority). Hell, even JJ Abrams is extremely reserved about what he thinks about TLJ whenever he is asked about it after the release of the film.
Mark Hamill believing something about Luke as a character isn't really material to the issue. He played the character at a certain point in the character's life so he'll see the character a certain way. But the point I'm making is the complaints about Luke - if people were really paying attention - should have been raised in TFA. Instead they were (as noted above) so strongly conditioned to think of Luke a certain way that they suspended their critical faculties / didn't really think about what they had seen and its implications until confronted with the end result in TLJ, where they could no longer do so. And blamed TLJ (and Johnson) for it rather than going back and re-evaluating what TFA did and didn't do.

That JJ Abrams is 'reserved' when he is asked about TLJ is not something I've ever seen any particular evidence for. I've never seen him be anything but complimentary, and most recently he said that Johnson's film made him more willing to take risks in TROS.

More importantly, the idea that Abrams of all people would have a problem with Luke's character arc in TLJ in particular doesn't fly. It was him and Kasdan that wrote Luke as an exile who abandoned his friends, family and charge without bothering to tell anyone where he was going or if he would be back. It was him and Kasdan who created a situation where his friends were desperately looking about the galaxy for him for years to find some clue to his whereabouts. It was him and Kasdan who wrote that the reason he 'walked away from everything' was because he felt responsible for what happened at his temple.

(and it was JJ Abrams who days after the film was released expressly debunked the idea that R2-D2 being able to complete the map was in any way significant as opposed to a mere convenient coincidence - which as I've said earlier is a genuine misstep on his part - but one that was blown out of all proportion to everything else in the film even in the absence of his saying so)
How the film present information is the responsibility of the director. If certain complaints becomes quite prevalent among many members of the audience, then it is reasonable to say it was the fault of the film and the director's failure to communicate certain ideas clearly.

I love the prequels, but I must acknowledge the fact that many people were indeed bothered by the dialogue. I don't go around telling them how Anakin's poor romantic dialogue is realistic for a teenager who has never been in a relationship before. I recognise it as a failure of the film and George Lucas to effectively communicate what he wanted to tell his audience ( which is create movie romance reminiscent of early 20th century films).
How the film presents information is the responsibility of the director, sure. How that information is received - or if it is received at all - also depends on how receptive the audience is to hearing it. Is it Johnson's fault, for example, that a canard of TLJ discourse is that "Kylo Ren was lying about Rey's parents" when Kylo Ren did nothing but stand there expectantly while Rey herself said they were nobody? Of course it isn't. The "Kylo Ren was lying" canard is 100% a product of audience pre-conditioning.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, the "Kylo lied" theory fits pretty well. It probably wasn't the intent of Johnson, he probably meant that scene to be taken at face value (although given how full of misdirection the film is, its hard to be sure), but it could easily be Kylo sensing Rey's own insecurities and then basically playing on them. Rey thinks she's no one, and Kylo uses that.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-29 07:58am Actually, the "Kylo lied" theory fits pretty well. It probably wasn't the intent of Johnson, he probably meant that scene to be taken at face value (although given how full of misdirection the film is, its hard to be sure), but it could easily be Kylo sensing Rey's own insecurities and then basically playing on them. Rey thinks she's no one, and Kylo uses that.
Except that's not at all an example of lying. Kylo Ren has no special knowledge of Rey's parents at all - what he coaxed out of her was what he had seen was already there, within her. That all along that's what she knew to be true (leaving aside whether it actually is true*) is the whole point. The "Kylo Ren was lying" idea isn't that complicated - it's based on people misremembering the movie and forgetting who said what.

*it is.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, since I'm fully expecting Abrams to retcon her as a Skywalker, I'm just trying to think of how that could work. My idea is that Ren read her thoughts/emotions through the Force and basically told her her own fears back to her, like a gas lighting little twit. No prior knowledge of her family required.

Rey believed it to be true, but that doesn't mean it is true.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-29 08:27am Well, since I'm fully expecting Abrams to retcon her as a Skywalker, I'm just trying to think of how that could work. My idea is that Ren read her thoughts/emotions through the Force and basically told her her own fears back to her, like a gas lighting little twit. No prior knowledge of her family required.

Rey believed it to be true, but that doesn't mean it is true.
He's not going to do that. Not only is it a terrible, incredibly stupid idea, and one that's been completely destroyed by TLJ in every single particular, but he's outright said that in so far as her parentage is concerned (because people won't stop harping on it - god this fandom) that they honor TLJ's story. Heck, Pablo Hidalgo on twitter has even come out of his hole to say the idea that she's a Skywalker doesn't even make sense, timeline wise. ReySky believers are at this stage like ... Japanese soldiers hiding in the forest in the Pacific of the 1970s, fighting WW2.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I kind of hope he doesn't, because I find that kind of fuck you to a colleague's work deeply unprofessional, but I wouldn't put it past him, especially since the title is Rise of Skywalker, and practically all the marketing seems to amount to one long "We're sorry OT fanboys/Alt. Reich trolls, we promise we won't ever step outside the box again!"

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-29 08:37am I kind of hope he doesn't, because I find that kind of fuck you to a colleague's work deeply unprofessional, but I wouldn't put it past him, especially since the title is Rise of Skywalker, and practically all the marketing seems to amount to one long "We're sorry OT fanboys/Alt. Reich trolls, we promise we won't ever step outside the box again!"
The trap there is assuming that even if JJ Abrams was that spectacularly unprofessional, that he'd be allowed to do so. These films are put together by enormous teams - including not least of all, the producers. Producers who have very strong attachments to the creative choices they've already overseen. I'm not sure what you mean about the marketing - I haven't noticed any signalling to trolls / shitheads.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vympel wrote: 2019-08-29 08:40am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-29 08:37am I kind of hope he doesn't, because I find that kind of fuck you to a colleague's work deeply unprofessional, but I wouldn't put it past him, especially since the title is Rise of Skywalker, and practically all the marketing seems to amount to one long "We're sorry OT fanboys/Alt. Reich trolls, we promise we won't ever step outside the box again!"
The trap there is assuming that even if JJ Abrams was that spectacularly unprofessional, that he'd be allowed to do so. These films are put together by enormous teams - including not least of all, the producers. Producers who have very strong attachments to the creative choices they've already overseen. I'm not sure what you mean about the marketing - I haven't noticed any signalling to trolls / shitheads.
Trailer shows Kylo's mask getting fixed.
Trailer shows Rey using the broken blue saber again.
Palpatine's back.
"Rise of Skywalker".

That all can be seen as pandering to the anti-change crowd/shots at retconning stuff from TLJ.

Then add in Rose being utterly absent from both trailers, for pandering to scumbags.

I know better than to judge a movie on its marketing (something the writers and directors generally have little to no say in), but it does make me suspicious about the attitudes of the people in charge.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-29 08:52am Trailer shows Kylo's mask getting fixed.
It's not my favorite decision, but it's also seen basically once in the teaser. Every other time we see Ben in the teaser and the D23 footage, he's unmasked. I also don't see how his helmet is some sort of signal to the dipshit portion of the fandom?
Trailer shows Rey using the broken blue saber again.
What's wrong with that? She was holding it broken, in her hands, at the end of TLJ - a clearly valuable, important, thing. She was always going to fix it. If it was of no significance TLJ would not have bothered to show that she had taken it with her.
Palpatine's back.
This is something Kathleen Kennedy has said was planned from the beginning. She may be lying, but I have a hard time believing that.
"Rise of Skywalker".
What do people think this means? The only Skywalker left in the film is Leia and Ben Solo. Not exactly pandering to the Fandom Menace.
That all can be seen as pandering to the anti-change crowd/shots at retconning stuff from TLJ.

Then add in Rose being utterly absent from both trailers, for pandering to scumbags.
Well, she was never main cast. Her being absent is the same as Keri Russel being absent, or Domnhall Gleeson. We know she's going to be in the movie because they showed her character in publicity stills at Star Wars Celebration.
I know better than to judge a movie on its marketing (something the writers and directors generally have little to no say in), but it does make me suspicious about the attitudes of the people in charge.
Personally I think it'll be ok (obviously) - it's not entirely unreasonable to be suspicious but I genuinely don't think JJ Abrams is a hack. In fact I think people are quite unfair to him.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2019-08-29 07:53am
Mark Hamill believing something about Luke as a character isn't really material to the issue. He played the character at a certain point in the character's life so he'll see the character a certain way. But the point I'm making is the complaints about Luke - if people were really paying attention - should have been raised in TFA. Instead they were (as noted above) so strongly conditioned to think of Luke a certain way that they suspended their critical faculties / didn't really think about what they had seen and its implications until confronted with the end result in TLJ, where they could no longer do so. And blamed TLJ (and Johnson) for it rather than going back and re-evaluating what TFA did and didn't do.
The point about Mark Hamill having a creative disagreement with Rian Johnson is that the people who had issues with the portrayal of Luke Skywalker in TLJ was not limited to a bunch of far-right nuts on some sci-fi forum. That such creative differences can be legitimate.

I think the fact that those complaints were quite common, AND the fact that people disagreed with the idea that everything has been implied or set up in TFA means there is a failure of communication in those set up and ideas. It's like people complaining about the final episode of GOT. You can say all you want about there being some sort of set-up for Daenerys turning evil, but the fact is there are many people who feel that the set-up isn't enough.

The same applies to Luke. If a decent amount of people felt that the set up was poor, then you have to acknowledge that the set up wasn't as good as it could have been.
That JJ Abrams is 'reserved' when he is asked about TLJ is not something I've ever seen any particular evidence for. I've never seen him be anything but complimentary, and most recently he said that Johnson's film made him more willing to take risks in TROS.
Being complimentary yes, because that is being a professional and not insulting your fellow director in front of live TV. But airing the fact that he had creative differences with Rian Johnson in public over the direction of the trilogy comes across as someone being diplomatically reserved about his feelings on Ep 8:
I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII. So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies.

More importantly, the idea that Abrams of all people would have a problem with Luke's character arc in TLJ in particular doesn't fly. It was him and Kasdan that wrote Luke as an exile who abandoned his friends, family and charge without bothering to tell anyone where he was going or if he would be back. It was him and Kasdan who created a situation where his friends were desperately looking about the galaxy for him for years to find some clue to his whereabouts. It was him and Kasdan who wrote that the reason he 'walked away from everything' was because he felt responsible for what happened at his temple.

(and it was JJ Abrams who days after the film was released expressly debunked the idea that R2-D2 being able to complete the map was in any way significant as opposed to a mere convenient coincidence - which as I've said earlier is a genuine misstep on his part - but one that was blown out of all proportion to everything else in the film even in the absence of his saying so)
Well Abrams did admit the direction for EP 8 was not what he envisioned. That we know for certain. Exactly what was the creative difference about is something we won't know until a few years down the line, when more behind the scene comments surface.

How the film presents information is the responsibility of the director, sure. How that information is received - or if it is received at all - also depends on how receptive the audience is to hearing it. Is it Johnson's fault, for example, that a canard of TLJ discourse is that "Kylo Ren was lying about Rey's parents" when Kylo Ren did nothing but stand there expectantly while Rey herself said they were nobody? Of course it isn't. The "Kylo Ren was lying" canard is 100% a product of audience pre-conditioning.
That's a wrong way of approaching film criticism. As a director, you have tremendous control over how you want to frame the story. You decide how the scene in composed, how the scene is edited, how a scene is shot by the cinematographer, and how to make adjustment on the actors' performance.

If a film fails to communicate certain ideas or themes well, very often you can go back to the film itself and think about how a director could have done it better in terms of the script, editing, cinematographer, acting and etc.

The hoo-hah over Rey's parents was a result of what JJ Abrams did in terms of framing the shots of Rey with her parents. The attempt at obscuring Rey's parents can be easily interpreted by many viewers as they being more important than a bunch of junk traders.

Moreover, JJ Abrams have flat out admitted his mistakes about how he framed certain key shots and give the audience the wrong impression of things.

The underwear scene of Alice Eve in Star Trek Into Darkness was seen as being sexist and misogynistic by a number of people, and Abrams admitted his mistakes in how he edited the scene:

https://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highli ... umberbatch

Then there is the famous scene of Chewie walking past Leia in TFA. He admitted he made a mistake too.

So I think you are being far too defensive of directors from criticism, when they can admit their mistakes about misframing certain scenes.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-28 05:55am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-08-28 04:11amFine, can they at least park correctly? No? We know Finn isn't a pilot, but Rose can apparently pilot. Why didn't she park, at least? I assume when she learned to fly, she at least, at some point, learned to park. And like most people who are proficient in the operation of said craft, know there are designated places to park, and designated places to not park.

This would be rather like watching bank robbers having their wheelman get his car towed because he parked in a "No parking" area.
Its a clumsy mistake, sure. But its one that I can see untrained people plausibly making, especially when they're on a tight timeline. So they didn't sit down and look up and read the local traffic laws while rushing off to save their friends' lives. I can live with that.
Considering that Rose was from a planet that was subjugated by the First Order, maybe she was from a bit of it where parking rules were nonexistant provided you were in nobody's way? I've lived in a few places like that, where life sucks so parking (or even having a license) is less of a concern. This mindset did not aid her infiltration of space Monte Carlo.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin