Rise of Skywalkers reviews (Spoilers in this thread)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: Rise of Skywalkers reviews (Spoilers in this thread)

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I found the lightsaber situation to be a bit irritating. Everyone seems to be building and rolling around with blue sabers now.
I would have been more satisfied if they had shown Rey actually building her lightsaber at the start. As it is, the movies just keep HANDING things to Rey and it is the exact opposite.

Rey has two lightsabers - Both blue. One is supposed to be Anakin's - Which was supposed to have been destroyed in TLJ and was left behind.
The other is meant to be Leia's
I guess they forgot about the Green lightsaber that Luke had and where it went ?

The setup and backstory behind the dagger quest is easily the most annoying aspect of this story for me.
It is fantastically convinient Rey was able to find the EXACT spot to line up the dagger to find the location. On the Death Star.

It is more fantastically curious given the Death Star wreckage is on a turbulant ocean which could easily shift the position of the wreckage making the dagger useless.
I am a bit confused how that dagger quest even works. The room the compass is in looks like the Emperor observation point in ROTJ. Did the Emperor have that compass IN that room and it has been sitting there since the DSII got blown to bits ?
That seems hilariously unlikely.

Alternatively, the compass was put in that room by a Sith to guide Sith back to Sith World... even though that Sith should already know where Sith World is... why is the compass needed at all... let alone WHO is it actually meant to guide ?
Seemingly, anyone who goes to Sith World can guide others to it by sending the proper navigation info once they get there because that is exactly what Rey and Kylo do. As a security measure, it is stupid and it seems to have no use because the people that would actually NEED it... do not need it.

Random notes:
Star Destroyers - Can not use shields in atmosphere. Not only is this contradicted by other SW canon. It is fundamentally stupid in logic and concept.
Star Wars ships can apparantly be left sitting around for decades and noone will touch them.
Star Wars ships can be submerged in water for years and remain completely functional.
Kylo Ren can literally walk out of a high velocity crash with no injury or impairment.
Accidental Rey Force lightning can apparantly cause an entire ship to explode
Intentional Emperor / God force lightning can selectively disable an entire fleet - I guess Palpatine was using the wrong setting.
Throwing Kylo Ren into a misty void to die... does not actually kill him. I guess this is consistent with SW since people falling / being thrown off long falls does not do shit unless you are Mace Windu.
The MF loses it's landing gear and appears to leave a massive crash trench.... because the MF and SW ships in general have not shown the ability to hover. Even if the Landing gear was shot... Poe decided to land it like a plan rather than use the VTOL element ?
The MF can 'hyper-skip' and the FO fighters are able to 'hyper-skip' with them perfectly. Even if you ignore the astronomical stupidity of being able to hyper-skip and repeatedly coming out remotely close to something. It is even more incredible the FO ships are able to magically achieve the same result with the "Fastest ship in the galaxy"
"Holdo - Manuver" - We cannot do it because it is "one in a million" = What does that even mean ?
As far as lame attempts to retcon TLJ, this does not work at all as an explanation of how it cannot be done again or how the conditions in TLJ aligned to make that manuver possible.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

PREDATOR490 wrote:The setup and backstory behind the dagger quest is easily the most annoying aspect of this story for me.
It is fantastically convinient Rey was able to find the EXACT spot to line up the dagger to find the location. On the Death Star.
As the translation said, the Dagger was the last clue. It was MADE to line up and that little pointer in the quillion was to show the position. Also... if you look, the pointer is pointing not to the main body of the Death Star, but to the remnants of the Tower sticking up out of the surf.
I am a bit confused how that dagger quest even works. The room the compass is in looks like the Emperor observation point in ROTJ. Did the Emperor have that compass IN that room and it has been sitting there since the DSII got blown to bits ?
That seems hilariously unlikely.

Alternatively, the compass was put in that room by a Sith to guide Sith back to Sith World... even though that Sith should already know where Sith World is... why is the compass needed at all... let alone WHO is it actually meant to guide ?
It was left there for Rey... or rather the dagger and compass were there for the alien who was supposed to capture and bring Child-Rey to Palpatine. You'll note the door opened for Rey, without her doing anything. It had been programmed to recognize her DNA or something.

Also, do you *really* think that Palpatine had told even Vader about the Sith World and the ships hidden there? I doubt any of those puppets on the planet had left there since Palpatine found his own way there (probably after going through his Master's possessions after killing him).
Palpatine had been prepped for his death for a Long Time... and Rey may not have been the only grandkid running around, just the one he'd seen had the power to become his Puppet-Empress.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Saw it; my initial first thoughts:

1.) The Jedi plot was, okay. Not bad, but okay; with some nice moments. Adam Driver/Daisy Ridley's chemistry saves a lot of it.

2.) The "conventional war" plot is pants, just like the last two ones (TFA and TLJ).

Once the "gee whiz" factor has worn off, I'll have more thoughts.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Basically, TFA, TLJ and now ROS were all at a "first draft" level script....they should have been developed further, and the ideas contained within examined more deeply in development.

They weren't shooting scripts.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

PREDATOR490 wrote: 2019-12-20 07:16pmIt is more fantastically curious given the Death Star wreckage is on a turbulant ocean which could easily shift the position of the wreckage making the dagger useless.
Also, what's with all the piles of near pristine white armor pieces in the hallways of the DS2 wreckage? :?:

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, no spoilers:

For someone who actually liked TLJ and doesn't enjoy rehashes of the OT or endless pandering to the fandom, on a scale of one to ten, how big a steaming sack of shit is this movie? I'm trying to decide if its worth putting myself through watching it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-12-20 10:38pm So, no spoilers:

For someone who actually liked TLJ and doesn't enjoy rehashes of the OT or endless pandering to the fandom, on a scale of one to ten, how big a steaming sack of shit is this movie? I'm trying to decide if its worth putting myself through watching it.
It is worth the money.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-12-20 10:41pm

It is worth the money.
Hmm.

To be honest, I've been so worn out with the fandom infighting and seesaw direction of the franchise, and so afraid of another Game of Thrones season eight, that I've barely been following it lately, but even still I've seen a deluge of bad reviews.

On the plus side, this is probably the least-spoiled I've ever been for a new Star Wars film in my lifetime. I might give it a go post-Christmas.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Wien1938
Redshirt

Post by Wien1938 »

It's fun for the most part...and then afterwards your brain starts to kick in and what ray245 and Vympel have said comes up.

The plot is a dire mess and the film tries to do too much with too many characters. It is very well filmed but others are right that the music actually doesn't lift the film.

Up to you- if you can go for free or on a cheap ticket, it will be worth it.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It's 'take a bottle of whiskey in with you and drunkenly enjoy a dumb movie'/10.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Wien1938
Redshirt

Post by Wien1938 »

loomer wrote: 2019-12-20 11:09pm

It's 'take a bottle of whiskey in with you and drunkenly enjoy a dumb movie'/10.
What he said! 😆
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Knowing a couple of the big twists in advance, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's generally enjoyable as a popcorn movie, but it has very little interesting depth, something that all of the Lucas movies(and TLJ) had.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

You're not going to like it. That's probably an understatement.
blahface wrote: 2019-12-20 04:26pm Am I remembering wrong, or wasn't the broken lightsaber on the ship with Kylo when she left?
No, she took it with her. It's heavily focused on at the end of the last film, in her hands on the Falcon.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ah well. I suppose I'll still have to see it. Can't properly rant about it if I haven't.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-12-21 01:05am Ah well. I suppose I'll still have to see it. Can't properly rant about it if I haven't.
There's probably going to be like - two things we don't agree on? But I'm pretty sure you'll otherwise agree with my spoiler filled reaction on page 1.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-12-20 10:52pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-12-20 10:41pm

It is worth the money.
Hmm.

To be honest, I've been so worn out with the fandom infighting and seesaw direction of the franchise, and so afraid of another Game of Thrones season eight, that I've barely been following it lately, but even still I've seen a deluge of bad reviews.

On the plus side, this is probably the least-spoiled I've ever been for a new Star Wars film in my lifetime. I might give it a go post-Christmas.
I completely disagree. I think if you like TLJ and what RJ did, you will hate ROS.

Anyone who thinks those that love TLJ will like ROS do not understand why people liked TLJ.

Rose role has been reduced to a minor background character.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

ray245 wrote: 2019-12-21 06:05am Anyone who thinks those that love TLJ will like ROS do not understand why people liked TLJ.

Rose role has been reduced to a minor background character.
Rose was not the only reason to like TLJ and it's possible to really enjoy TLJ and TROS, for different reasons. You may (as you stated before) not accept them, but not everyone cares about movies in precisely the same way.

TROS is a dopamine rush, a marvelization of SW, a rollercoaster ride. Pick your phrase. For that, you can criticise it endlessly, but to assume that means it's impossible to enjoy is snobbery.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Ace Pace wrote: 2019-12-21 07:17am Rose was not the only reason to like TLJ and it's possible to really enjoy TLJ and TROS, for different reasons. You may (as you stated before) not accept them, but not everyone cares about movies in precisely the same way.

TROS is a dopamine rush, a marvelization of SW, a rollercoaster ride. Pick your phrase. For that, you can criticise it endlessly, but to assume that means it's impossible to enjoy is snobbery.
I know everyone have different reasons for liking movies, and it's fair to disagree on that. The reason I am critical of those who says if you love TLJ, you will like ROS is because I do not think they comprehend the reasons why people love TLJ and not merely like it.

You can like both TLJ and ROS, but loving TLJ and ROS is something entirely different. TLJ took creative decisions ( whether you think it's well executed or not), that took Star Wars in a different direction. It is fundamentally an attempt at challenging the status quo. I think people who love TLJ are people who fully embraced the philosophy of TLJ, such as you no longer need a big evil sith lord for your film to work, you don't need special parentage to be a hero and etc.

ROS on a creative level, is a direct insult to ROS. People who like TLJ might not see it that way ( becuase they might see all SW as a dopamine rush and a rollercoaster ride, but people who love TLJ are less likely to see it as a dopamine rush. This is why I think anyone who recommends ROS to a person who loves TLJ does not fully understand the reasons why the person loves TLJ.

I am not being snobbery about it per say, but I am saying some fans, like LadyTevar, do not fully understand the different perspectives of other fans. I simply think I can understand the reasons why TRR will dislike more than she.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I liked a lot of what TLJ tried to do and I still enjoyed ROS. The secret, as I keep saying, is to drink heavily during it.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

loomer wrote: 2019-12-21 07:50am I liked a lot of what TLJ tried to do and I still enjoyed ROS. The secret, as I keep saying, is to drink heavily during it.
Don't get me wrong, I think it can be enjoyable. Just in a so bad it's funny kind of way. That's what many people in my theatre were doing.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Ok, we have a more useful metric for measuring the audience reception of the movie than Rotten-Tomatoes.

Cinemascore is remarkable better at gauging the reaction of the audience, and it is very bad for a Star Wars movie.

https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/status/ ... gr%5Etweet

B+

It had a even lower score than all the prequels, which was A-. The only Star Wars movie that scored lower than ROS is the Clone Wars animated movie.

It's on par with movies like Justice League, Transformer 3 and Terminator: Dark Fate.

Here's what all the score was for the other SW movies:

Rogue One: A
Solo: A-
Ep 1: A-
Ep 2: A-
Ep 3: A-
Ep 7: A
Clone Wars: B-
Ep 8: A
Ep 9: B+

Ep 9 has the lowest score out of all live action Star Wars movie.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Dark Fate was a much better film.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Loved it. Much better paced than the last one (which I also enjoyed!) and finally drew on old EU material by taking part of the premise to Dark Empire and giving a better take on it, which I've always wanted to see. Easily up there with Return of the Jedi for best Star Wars film.

Liked that they showed Palpatine going SSL2 (Super Sith Lord 2) and blasting chunks of the Resistance fleet out the sky. I know some people are going to complain that was 'wankish,' but to my mind it's them finally showing some of the vast power people like Palpatine and Yoda were always implied to have on a grand scale at an appropriate moment.

I'm also sure people are going to complain that having Rey be Palpatine's granddaughter is a 180 from her accepting that she came from nothing in the last film, but bear in mind that our main source for that take on her background was Kylo Ren. Noted dumbass. Who had no real reason to know crap about where she came from.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Ralin wrote: 2019-12-21 09:50am I'm also sure people are going to complain that having Rey be Palpatine's granddaughter is a 180 from her accepting that she came from nothing in the last film, but bear in mind that our main source for that take on her background was Kylo Ren. Noted dumbass. Who had no real reason to know crap about where she came from.
Way to miss the point on why people had issues. :lol:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote: 2019-12-21 10:00am Way to miss the point on why people had issues. :lol:
I try to be charitable