Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Rogue 9 »

Batman wrote:Have we actually seen an imperial officer having a mustache'?
Yes; Admiral Konstantine. And he's an asshole too, all but stating he intends to throw some bridge lieutenant or other under the bus over tagging Vader with the tractor beam.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I think it's been mentioned a couple times, but I think the general consensus is that the Empire prefers people who are fanatically loyal, over those who are actually capable, in the more "glamorous" positions, while the more dull/day-to-day posts are simply filled with regular folks...
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Preview for the next episode. (Not embedded to avoid spoilers.)
Spoiler
"How is it that you have bested me, even once?" Well, Agent Kallus (I still can't believe they named him that), I'm going to guess it's because you suck at your job. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Rogue 9 wrote:Preview for the next episode. (Not embedded to avoid spoilers.)
Rogue, that appears to be Ozzy Man Reviews: Indecisive Lioness Hunting.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I believe one of the officers in the conference room in the first Death Star had a grey mustache. This is the scene where Motti is dumb enough to try and insult Vader to his face.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

yeah the guy in the White Uniform and Ozzel had mustache as well.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

I think I herd that the guy in the white uniform in a new hope is Yalarin (hope I spelled that right) you know monocle guy from the clone wars.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

NecronLord wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:Preview for the next episode. (Not embedded to avoid spoilers.)
Rogue, that appears to be Ozzy Man Reviews: Indecisive Lioness Hunting.
Goddamn, it failed to copy and I didn't check. My bad. :oops: This is the correct link. (Though the first one is fucking hysterical, in my defense. :lol: )
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

biostem wrote:I think it's been mentioned a couple times, but I think the general consensus is that the Empire prefers people who are fanatically loyal, over those who are actually capable, in the more "glamorous" positions, while the more dull/day-to-day posts are simply filled with regular folks...
I think even the upper echelons are a mixed bag. Did Generals Tagge or Veers strike you as fanatical? What about Admirals Ozzel and Piett? Captain Needa seemed downright courageous, if not particularly bright, for having the balls to face Vader's wrath in person.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So, am I the only one who noticed that Phoenix 2 was a man in The Protector of Concord Dawn (and survived the episode, though we don't see him after the hyperspace jump), and a woman in Homecoming? They could at least try for that much consistency; is it just that they don't want to show anything resembling development and continuity in their designated cannon fodder so that the audience doesn't get attached to them before they die, or are they really just that inattentive?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Rogue 9 wrote:So, am I the only one who noticed that Phoenix 2 was a man in The Protector of Concord Dawn (and survived the episode, though we don't see him after the hyperspace jump), and a woman in Homecoming? They could at least try for that much consistency; is it just that they don't want to show anything resembling development and continuity in their designated cannon fodder so that the audience doesn't get attached to them before they die, or are they really just that inattentive?
Devil's advocate here: considering the attrition Hera mentioned (as exemplified with the loss of Phoenix 2 this episode), it doesn't seem unlikely that the position of Phoenix 2 has had a high turnover rate recently. (Along with most other positions in Phoenix Squadron. Phoenix leader kinda has an unfair advantage with her large, relatively heavily armed and armored transport.)
Proud member of the no sigs club.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Rogue 9 wrote:So, am I the only one who noticed that Phoenix 2 was a man in The Protector of Concord Dawn (and survived the episode, though we don't see him after the hyperspace jump), and a woman in Homecoming? They could at least try for that much consistency; is it just that they don't want to show anything resembling development and continuity in their designated cannon fodder so that the audience doesn't get attached to them before they die, or are they really just that inattentive?
Perhaps the designations are simply a position with a flight/wing? If they're fielding 1 wing of fighters, Phoenix 1 is the best pilot, and 2 is the 2nd. If they're fielding 2 wings, then maybe Phoenix 1 is the leader of the first group, and Phoenix 2 is the leader of the 2nd. Also, it could be due to pilot losses, (as DesertFly pointed out).
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Promotion, also. Phoenix 2 (No. 1) might have been transferred to a different unit and Phoenix 3 bumped up to Phoenix 2 (No. 2) to compensate.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

More likely, this poor Rebel pilot became "Phoenix 2" by virtue of being the only other member of Phoenix Squadron flying in this particular mission...whatever it was they were doing before being chased by an ISD.

There's no reason to believe they have hardcoded squadron numbers. They could simply be assigned based upon whoever happens to be flying that mission that day.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah it's likely that callsigns here are mission specific rather then permanent, though given the casuality rates it could also be that who ever was Phoenix 2 before her was killed/wounded.

Promotion/unit transfer seems unlikely though as there seems to be minimal interaction between rebel cells so there wouldn't really be anything to transfer to.

This seems to be Pre-Rebel Alliance after all.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

OK, so I just watched up to "The Call" and I am ready to find the biggest catapult around and start bombarding Disney Studios with flaming paper bags of S&$*T.

SPACE WHALES? And not only Space Whales, but these things are also somehow the original inspiration for HYPERSPACE-F-ING-TRAVEL?!?

*sigh*

I'm done. Sorry. Just couldn't not rant about that.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:SPACE WHALES? And not only Space Whales, but these things are also somehow the original inspiration for HYPERSPACE-F-ING-TRAVEL?!?
At some point, we'll get a glimpse of a pre-Republic starship attached to a pair of them like an FTL stagecoach. You know it to be true.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

To be fair this was in the old EU too.

I didn't like the last episode. While it was neat to have a look into Agent Kallus's world (especially the ending), I found the "forced to be friends" thing to be just forced.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Forecast: Kallus is going to join the rebels eventually.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

That would be really cheap, even for them.
Spoiler
You would think that Agent Kallus (I still can't believe they named him that) would have learned better than to set traps for this bunch without bringing along an Inquisitor or three. Oh well. Apart from that, it was a pretty good story. You can't even fairly say that we've never quite seen Kallus as anything but before; he was obviously shocked at the summary execution of Commandant Aresko and Taskmaster Grint last season, so it wasn't completely out of nowhere.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Spoiler
I'm guessing the bugs haven't been Genosian-cided, and are probably building the Moon o' Doom like the Wookies had been

Just had a flash of inspired stupidity/genius - they aren't looking to make him become Kyle Katarn, are they? He has the beard, and similar background....
Yeah, I'm guessing Agent K will be doing a bit of soul searching. Konstantine really didn't give a toss about him.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Welp, genocide it is then. Poggle pissed in someone's Cheerios!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sigh... why do I get the feeling that the decision to have the Geonosians be exterminated was done at least partly to appeal to Prequel haters by having something from the Prequels be brutally killed?
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

One other possibility - we know that they use jamming - what if there was such extensive jamming in place, (to hide what's going on), that it hides even life signs? Since the Geonosians were shows as having extensive subterranian catacombs, that could explain their apparent absence from the (surface) of the planet.