The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by Broomstick »

Given that Mandorlorians are heavily into free-lancing it could be that the Mando was on board that ship on the payroll of whomever was flying it and NOT part of the "rescue" party. Leaping from "beskar" to "the Mandos did it!" is making some assumptions that may or may not be true.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Also, it's been mentioned that alot of Beskar was stolen from Mandalore by the Empire. Who knows where it could have ended up by now?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-03-30 04:14am Given that Mandorlorians are heavily into free-lancing it could be that the Mando was on board that ship on the payroll of whomever was flying it and NOT part of the "rescue" party. Leaping from "beskar" to "the Mandos did it!" is making some assumptions that may or may not be true.
Indeed. And I can think of other possibilities. But will the New Republic show the same forbearance?

We have a situation in which an independent planet was attacked, the NR outright refused to intervene - or allow its own personnel to intervene - meaning the Mandos had to do it. Now they are living openly on the same very grateful planet. And not long after that, circumstantial evidence emerges that a Mando attacked an NR shuttle, killed NR personnel, and made off with a captured war criminal. I say again, the evidence is entirely circumstantial. But the Franco-Prussian war was started by a slightly-reworded telegram.

This also ties in to Bo-Katan. The Armourer is now pushing her as a cosmopolitan leader, one who can pull together the various Mandalorian traditions. All she has to do now is go back to Mandalore and ride a Mythosaur; and she's the new Mand'alor. Mandalore was once capital of an entire sector, and it is at least implied that there are a lot of Mandos still out there. If she pulls this off, the Mandos could become at least a regional power once again; and that might worry the NR. Her rise could fuel a breakdown in relations with the NR, and at the same time could be fuelled by it.

As a minor side point, that Lasat pilot was, apparently, the one and only Garazeb Orrelios.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I see two reasons for the Beskar being there.

1. Some very angry Mandos decided to take the law into their own hands and lynch Gideon.
However, they'd probably have left his body there in as gruesome a death as they could devise, to get the point across.

2. Someone mentioned "Imperial Mandalorians". In that case, it's a rescue mission and Gideon will be back next season as the Big Bad keeping them from regaining Mandalore.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

What could cause a piece of Beskar to break off Mandalorian armor like that ?

Whoever put that Beskar there, I doubt they were using it like Mandalorians do. Best guess is that someone wanted to frame them.

As for the latest episode, it was fun. Looks like the amnesty program can produce some good results and having a separatist be behind everything was an interesting choice.
ralfy
Redshirt

Post by ralfy »

The last episode was awful, and the one with the political thriller element just as bad. But I can't blame them because it's as if they have to combine the goofiness of the original trilogy (which is fine because the franchise is really meant for kids) and the banality of the prequels (which makes stories a snoozefest). Also, if it's really for kids, then anything that entertains them is fine, whether it's Jack Black or Baby Yoda jumping around.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, although this most recent episode had its moments it felt disjointed and farcical to me, with a side of Aesops about over-reliance on automation and the pitfalls of democracy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I quite enjoyed it. It was cool to have a plot that was more fun focused than the regular fare. TOS had serious episodes, but they also had Gangster Planet.

Also, the idea of droids as a happy labour class because without said work they face an existential crisis was pretty cool. I wonder what their compensation is, if anything. They have a droid bar, so perhaps there are other droid amenities?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

In Hindsight, yeah.. where ELSE would Gideon have his true hidey-hole, but in the place he claimed as his own (In the name of the Emperor).

Vizlo went out a hero. Took 3 of the Imperial Guard to kill him, and only after he'd been softened up first.

I can't wait for next week.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So I guess we've started the run up to Ahsoka, and setting up background for the sequels with Thrawn, Pellaeon, and Hux.

Giancarlo Esposito acts the hell out of being an Imperial bigwig. Big Gus Fring energy, with just the right silly.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-04-12 11:18pm So I guess we've started the run up to Ahsoka, and setting up background for the sequels with Thrawn, Pellaeon, and Hux.

Giancarlo Esposito acts the hell out of being an Imperial bigwig. Big Gus Fring energy, with just the right silly.
I saw an interview from last season, and yes, he's enjoying the hell out of this role and chewing scenery.

Now, what else we see is why there was Beskar in the shuttle, since it's clearly from his new DarkTroopers.
I'm also wondering how long before the 501st recreates the Trooper armor we see in this base.

Now, all we have to see is how they get a signal to the fleet about the ambush. Assuming the Mandos survive, Gideon's left them a nice military base already built, stocked, and ready to move into at least.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-13 07:22am Now, what else we see is why there was Beskar in the shuttle, since it's clearly from his new DarkTroopers.
Though there is still the question of what could break Beskar like that. Unless the DarkTroopers are using lower quality Beskar.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-04-16 05:43am
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-13 07:22am Now, what else we see is why there was Beskar in the shuttle, since it's clearly from his new DarkTroopers.
Though there is still the question of what could break Beskar like that. Unless the DarkTroopers are using lower quality Beskar.
Honestly I wouldn't put it past it that imperials have poor quality Beskar either because they don't know the proper refinement process or that's all they got access to.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-04-16 05:47am
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-04-16 05:43am
Honestly I wouldn't put it past it that imperials have poor quality Beskar either because they don't know the proper refinement process or that's all they got access to.
Agreed. I'd be very surprised if the Armorers didn't have Guild Secrets, taught only to their apprentices. And since the Armorer seems to have a quasi-religious role (at least for The Children), I'd bet money there are Rituals to how the Beskar is handled to give it the full potential.

Thinking along those lines --
We've seen the Armorer at her job many times. She does the blacksmithing piece by piece, by hand* and quenches the Beskar in what's probably a very closely guarded barrel of Water from the Source.

However, the Empire wouldn't waste time trying to learn/teach hand-forging. They would fully automate the process, turning it into an assembly line from the smelting to pouring it into pre-fab molds, to having droids clean up the pieces and assemble the product.
And, as we all know, assembly lines are great for getting lots of things made fast and cheap, but quality often suffers.

* I have Blacksmith friends, and they use power-hammers and trip-hammers to help their projects. Still Considered Hand-Forged because the Smith is right there, controlling the process. You can see nice examples of this on "Forged In Fire" episodes (which has featured many SCA blacksmiths over the years, and some even won!)

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

My memory is hazy, and google isn't helping much. Is their water specifically magical in any way, or is it like holy water in a church setting?

- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nobody said anything about the waters of Mandalore being 'physically' special, the bathing in them redeeming a fallen Mandalorian seemed to be an entirely ceremonial thing. Indeed prior to Mando and Bo-Katan going there the Mandalorians considered the planet to be cursed but were still forging 'proper' beskar armor so it is doubtful they'd go back to collect any 'special water' to aid in the 'proper' forging process.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Pouring it into the forge confirmed that it was genuine water from the mines. So there is something unusual in it. If it's some microorganisms, they might not need to go back if they can sustain a healthy supply.

But I'm going to assume that the weaker Imperial Beskar is due to a lack of knowledge and/or mass production, not anything important about the sacred water.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Why I am NOT SURPRISED that Gideon is that much of an egocentric bastard to have THOSE in the cloning tanks?

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Interesting to see how the Mandalore plot resolved. I wonder how the armour cult Mandalorians will go about living with their more secular fellow citizens once the initial post victory consensus moment fades. They'll need a lot of immigration to make that population viable.

A small part of me was also hoping for a small Grogu helmet, but that face makes a lot of money.

- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-04-20 09:34pm Interesting to see how the Mandalore plot resolved. I wonder how the armour cult Mandalorians will go about living with their more secular fellow citizens once the initial post victory consensus moment fades. They'll need a lot of immigration to make that population viable.

A small part of me was also hoping for a small Grogu helmet, but that face makes a lot of money.
I'm also wondering how they'll manage to coexist, but between Bo Katan and The Armorer, who both saw how the faction-fighting lead to losing Mandalore, I think they'll work out a compromise while still having THE WAY.
I think this mostly because all of the non-Children were wearing their helmets during the baptism scene (a Children ritual), while some were unhelmeted while they were lighting The Great Forge.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Unless they want to cut off his ears, I think even a fully helmeted Baby Yoda would remain decidedly recognizable.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I see that Gideon got the good Beskar. While the other imperials got some that couldn't stop blasters.

Also, did I miss what happened to all the TIEs ?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

How would you helmet baby yoda. Cut outs for the ears? Squoosh them down inside? Have protrusions to put them in?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Cut outs most likely.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-04-23 01:43pm I see that Gideon got the good Beskar. While the other imperials got some that couldn't stop blasters.

Also, did I miss what happened to all the TIEs ?
What we SAW --
The Mandos all escaped to the troopships, and used the magnetic weirdness of Mandalore's atmosphere to literally pass the TIEs on their way down. The TIES went straight for the Cruiser and did exactly as both sides planned -- they started blowing it out of the air. Some TIEs did get taken out by the Cruiser's anti-fighter weapons, but I'm assuming at least half may have survived to watch the Cruiser drop into atmosphere. Assuming the TIE pilots could plot the course, it's probably clear just where that Cruiser was going to hit.

If I was a TIE pilot with a jump engine, at that point I'd cut my losses and run because the mission just went FUBAR. There's no base to come back to. **IF** any Imperial bigwig survived, they'd blame the TIEs for bringing down the Cruiser atop the base, instead of "safely" blowing it up in space.