No Disintegrations

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

No Disintegrations

Post by Crazedwraith »

Okay so we all know why Boba's popular. He's got a cool costume and he got face time and respect from Vader!

But okay, now just pondering here: What kind of shitty bounty hunter needs to be reminded not to disintegrate his bounties? Like even being generous and it was a bounty worth as much dead as alive. Why disintegrate the body?

Won't you need that corpse to prove that you know... you did the job and aren't faking it?
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Re: No Disintegrations

Post by Darth Yan »

Depends. If you show the video of them dying I think people will accept it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

We can already pretty convincingly fake videos today. And other than the costume and getting facetime with Vader there's nothing saying Boba Fett wasn't a shitty bounty hunter in the movies. He got (almost) killed by a blind man. BY ACCIDENT. The guy did NOTHING noteworthy in the OT, even his ship looked shit.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Remember that Vader wanted them alive. The 'no disintegrations' warning should not be needed.

So Fett has a reputation for incompetence and/or Vader wanted to insult him.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

He wouldn't have been there if he was considered incompetent, if only because no one would want to be responsible to Vader for his fuck ups. I'm assuming it meant that Fett saw some really spectacular action during some bounties and has a bit of a reputation for overkill and/or getting into over the top situations.

We also don't know that the disintegrations were the actual bounties as opposed to people trying to stop him from collecting. Maybe the disintegration was some brilliant bit of genius under fire that stopped an otherwise ungettable bounty from escaping. Maybe it just stood out because it was a really fucking cool bit of violence even by Vader's standards and he felt the need to show appreciation in his own way.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-02-01 04:45pm Won't you need that corpse to prove that you know... you did the job and aren't faking it?
If he has a good enough reputation his word alone probably counts for a lot.
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-02-01 04:45pm Okay so we all know why Boba's popular. He's got a cool costume and he got face time and respect from Vader!

But okay, now just pondering here: What kind of shitty bounty hunter needs to be reminded not to disintegrate his bounties? Like even being generous and it was a bounty worth as much dead as alive. Why disintegrate the body?

Won't you need that corpse to prove that you know... you did the job and aren't faking it?
Vader was also fond of force-choking loyal officers. He was a emotional conduit of spite and dark side, not a coolly rational statesman who measured his words.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It could also be that most (if not all previous) Imperial bounties were 'dead or alive'.

Vader reminding the most feared (and probably effective) bounty hunter that this particular bounty was 'alive and preferably unharmed only' makes sense in that context.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It may have also been an unspoken threat against the more trigger-happy elements of the assembled group.

In other words: "You kill them, you die too. I need them alive and that's not optional. Fuck my plans up at your own peril."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-02-02 01:44pm It may have also been an unspoken threat against the more trigger-happy elements of the assembled group.

In other words: "You kill them, you die too. I need them alive and that's not optional. Fuck my plans up at your own peril."
I suspect there was a bit "Don't try to pass of some random person you disintegrated as the target either" since I wouldn't surprise if some less moral members of the Bounty Hunter's Guild might disintegrate some random homeless person and try to pass the remains as the target instead of going to
the trouble of tracking down and capturing the target.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

They've got pretty advanced sensors, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an acceptable standard of proof for bounties that end with disintegration so long as its a "dead or alive" contract. The reason Vader would reemphasize the point to Boba Fett in particular? Its simple-- Fett also works for Jabba, and Vader knows it, but Jabba's bounty on Han (mentioned earlier in the movie and seen in the previous film) is apparently a Dead or Alive contract, and Vader has to remind Fett that his ass is grass if he prioritizes Jabba's price over the Empire's. Fett is a professional, but he's also a mercenary, so if Jabba was going to give him more money than the Empire for disintegrating Han to make a point, Vader's main way of making sure that doesn't happen is to make implicit threats that anyone who tries that is just as dead. And since this is Vader we're talking about, Fett knows better than to screw with him, especially when he can still capitalize on Jabba's contract anyway if Vader is willing to give up Han in the end.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Formless wrote: 2023-02-02 04:39pm The reason Vader would reemphasize the point to Boba Fett in particular? Its simple-- Fett also works for Jabba, and Vader knows it, but Jabba's bounty on Han (mentioned earlier in the movie and seen in the previous film) is apparently a Dead or Alive contract, and Vader has to remind Fett that his ass is grass if he prioritizes Jabba's price over the Empire's. Fett is a professional, but he's also a mercenary, so if Jabba was going to give him more money than the Empire for disintegrating Han to make a point, Vader's main way of making sure that doesn't happen is to make implicit threats that anyone who tries that is just as dead. And since this is Vader we're talking about, Fett knows better than to screw with him, especially when he can still capitalize on Jabba's contract anyway if Vader is willing to give up Han in the end.
I don't think Jabba's contract was "dead or alive" because Fett makes the point of telling Vader that Solo is "no good to me dead" during the carbonite freezing sequence. And Vader apparently respects him enough to offer compensation if Captain Solo perished, so the edge-y types in here with "Fett is incompetent lols" are kinda off.

I think it's more that Fett is ruthlessly pragmatic - he would take Solo alive, but he sure doesn't need Leia or Chewie. But Vader did. So Vader is stressing "no disintegrations" because he wants everyone on the Falcon alive and (reasonably) well so he has plenty of bait to lure Luke in.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Hadn't considered that, but yeah. Vader also probably doesn't have perfect information on Luke's relationships and associates and would rather not have recruiting him complicated by a bounty hunter Vader sent needlessly killing someone Luke was close to.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wonder if Vader knew that one of his men blasted Threepio. If he did, I wonder if he had a problem with it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-02-04 05:54pm I wonder if Vader knew that one of his men blasted Threepio. If he did, I wonder if he had a problem with it.
There's a post Facebook has advertised to me multiple times of Vader demanding to know how the Death Star plans were stolen and being told it was an astromech and a prissy sounding golden protocol droid and Vader going "Oh lmao those are mah boys"
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

RogueIce wrote: 2023-02-04 08:12amI think it's more that Fett is ruthlessly pragmatic - he would take Solo alive, but he sure doesn't need Leia or Chewie. But Vader did. So Vader is stressing "no disintegrations" because he wants everyone on the Falcon alive and (reasonably) well so he has plenty of bait to lure Luke in.
That's...actually a pretty good explanation.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
vakundok
Jedi Knight

Post by vakundok »

Vader: Commander, tear this ship apart until you've found those plans and bring me the passengers. I want them alive!

Maybe he just prefers to be specific. Or has poor past experience when not being so.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Vader does have an established history of "systems can fail, people can be broken".
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

vakundok wrote: 2023-02-06 02:27pmMaybe he just prefers to be specific. Or has poor past experience when not being so.
That brings up an interesting point.

*cough gasp* lord vader *choke* you didn't specify *gasp* dead *choke* or alive...

This is something I've got a problem with most depictions of Vader in the comics -- they always default to making Vader being "Atrocities for breakfast, lunch AND dinner" along with "kicking people's puppies to show how evil he is"; when in the 30-45 minute screen time we see in the OT, he's pretty much chill.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

MKSheppard wrote: 2023-02-06 03:06pmThis is something I've got a problem with most depictions of Vader in the comics -- they always default to making Vader being "Atrocities for breakfast, lunch AND dinner" along with "kicking people's puppies to show how evil he is"; when in the 30-45 minute screen time we see in the OT, he's pretty much chill.
Exhibit A: The officer in ANH who was worried about the consequences of imprisoning Leia.

Not only was he willing to object to Vader's actions to his face (or respirator), but Vader's response was simply "leave it to me". The entire exchange paints a picture of a leader who is willing to take the time to both listen to his subordinates' concerns, including about decisions he's taken, and to reassure those subordinates. About as far from stereotypically Vaderish behaviour as you can get.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

MKSheppard wrote: 2023-02-06 03:06pm This is something I've got a problem with most depictions of Vader in the comics -- they always default to making Vader being "Atrocities for breakfast, lunch AND dinner" along with "kicking people's puppies to show how evil he is"; when in the 30-45 minute screen time we see in the OT, he's pretty much chill.
It's not just the comics anymore...

Now Vader just murders random onlookers for shits and giggles.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-02-06 04:49pmIt's not just the comics anymore...

[snip scene from OBI WAN]

Now Vader just murders random onlookers for shits and giggles.
In that specific case -- OB1 episode 3 -- Vader going completely unhinged makes sense. But there's a problem with that. Vader going unhinged means...he's never going to rest until he's found and killed Obi Wan; which is problematic for the greater backstory of Star Wars as a whole.

Essentially, the OB1 writers got their "aww yeah this is fucking METAL" scene for shocks , similar to comic writers; but didn't think it through past their "aww yeah this is fucking METAL" reaction. :x

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

With the exception of Kenobi - Maybe it's a case of 'Vader is fine around seasoned, intelligent, known to be effective professionals', but around incompetents, his patience is near zero.

WIth Kenobi - Vader was clearly not over his loss to Kenobi. The Emperor more or less forced him to move past it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

As far as the disintegrations go:

We see in Mandalorian that bounties are assigned with 'tracking fobs', presumably connected in some way to biometrics. We also see that Mando's amban rifle is capable of disintegration, but there's still organic matter, so one can conjecture that in the case of disintegrated bounties, the kill can be recorded via the fob or some such; certainly Mando could have a gun-camera in his helmet or rifle sights for the purpose.

While information can certainly be faked, *hiding* that it's been faked is another matter, and word of mouth is important in the underworld community. If someone is killed without anybody else knowing how it happened and who did it, that's a bit unusual.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Brobi-Wan Kenobi
Redshirt

Post by Brobi-Wan Kenobi »

Yeah, from what we see in the OT Trilogy, Boba Fett is a VERY shitty bounty hunter. This implies he always takes the easy way out and just disintegrates his enemies, his father would be ashamed. Also, he's bested by a literal blind man. He should have stayed dead, and I think his death suited him. I never liked him as a kid, I always saw him as a lame coward.
Hello there, Bro.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Or maybe Boba Fett is just as pragmatic about bounty hunting as SLJ is in The Hateful Eight: