Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-29 08:19pm If new shuttles are released every year, I find it curious that VIPs like Vader and Palpatine are still flying around in Lambdas some 13 or 14 years later during the events of ROTJ.
Maybe by the time of the OT, Vader and the Emperor just like the basic Lambdas that they know, and don't need the new equipment status symbol that their underlings do.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Didn't Vader get the fancy new TIE Advanced and Super Star Destroyer?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How do we KNOW that Vaders' TIE and the Executor are new? In ROTJ , Han says 'there are a lot of command ships' upon encountering it indicating Executors aren't a recent development.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-29 08:43pm Didn't Vader get the fancy new TIE Advanced and Super Star Destroyer?
The Emperor and Vader are very obsessed with their jobs and the general principle of boots on faces. The TIE Advanced and fancy Star Destroyer help that. The shuttle gets them from A to B and that's enough.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman wrote: 2022-06-29 08:51pm How do we KNOW that Vaders' TIE and the Executor are new? In ROTJ , Han says 'there are a lot of command ships' upon encountering it indicating Executors aren't a recent development.
You got me on Vader's TIE. He was already flying that five years before ANH in the Rebels cartoon. The Executor, on the other hand, was still under construction after ANH...

Last edited by Galvatron on 2022-06-29 09:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

So I went into this series dreading everything about it, thinking it was going to be a pandering sop to dumb fanboys who think SC38 Reimagined is good as opposed to being one of the worst things ever.

I ended up enjoying it quite a lot, but the ending still kind of fell flat for me. The artifice of the 'rematch' between Vader and Kenobi was painfully apparent and the whole fight felt entirely pointless. They had a golden opportunity to flesh out "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" and totally whiffed on it, so what did we gain? Kenobi fights Vader again, wins again, and leaves him again.

The only thing he got out of it is he doesn't feel guilty anymore. Ok, I guess.

Also, I'm really getting disillusioned with Disney+ Star Wars use of The Volume. They use it as a crutch for everything, even when its totally inappropriate, and you can feel their shows start to groan under the burden of a budget being spread like too little butter over too much bread.

Its totally embarrassing that every Star Trek show looks more expensive and well made than any Star Wars show to date.

God it'd be nice to get some movies again, made well and with attention, love and care (embarassing dogshit like TROS need not apply)

The LED blue lightsaber lighting looked especially bad in the finale, there was a whole article done on why. This effect should be used sparingly, not as the default.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-29 09:33pm
Batman wrote: 2022-06-29 08:51pm How do we KNOW that Vaders' TIE and the Executor are new? In ROTJ , Han says 'there are a lot of command ships' upon encountering it indicating Executors aren't a recent development.
You got me on Vader's TIE. He was already flying that five years before ANH in the Rebels cartoon. The Executor, on the other hand, was still under construction after ANH...
'Executor' herself, maybe, but the class seemed to be a well known quantity by the time of ROTJ.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Strangely enough, although the class is named after the Executor, it seems that the SSD Annihilator was already in service before construction on the Executor was finished. It was General Tagge's flagship immediately following the events of ANH.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Is it still canon that the Executor bankrupted some star systems?

Perhaps poor financing delayed Vader's one, while Tagge's went more smoothly.

- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

No, that was from Darksaber, a Legends novel by KJA.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

And the allegation was that it damn near bankrupted the 'Empire' which was patently absurd, because Executor represented a minuscule fraction of the resources that went into the FIRST Death Star, leave alone the second (which was built with HARDLY ANYBODY NOTICING)
It bankrupting a handful of systems I could buy-Wars is lousy with hardscrabble systems that barely scrape by as it is,
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-29 05:03pm Gut "shots", and belly wounds in general, are crap-shoots.
And lightsabers run hot, so they would cauterize wounds to some degree. Increasing the survivability of gut shots.
Elfdart wrote: 2022-06-26 12:54am Qui-Gonn gets stabbed in the gut and dies. Two inquisitors get run through (one by an angry Darth Vader) and neither are killed. Are the new red lightsabers defective or something?
Maybe these lightsabers run hotter.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Different circumstances
When Vader stabbed Riva, and when Riva stabbed the Grand Inquisitor, they wanted their victims to suffer physically and emotionally.
Possibly fatal wound, that will take time, and it will hurt.
So, really, it was sadism.

When Darth Maul stabbed Jinn, it was after seperating the two Jedi he was fighting (and had been retreating against the entire time)
He wanted Jinn out of the fight, so he probably also got his spine in addition to the gut wound.
That way, Jinn is out of the fight, will die even if somehow Kenobi beats Maul, and there is a good change seeing his master down will distract if not break Kenobi.

Vader - Sadism for their own amusement
Riva - Sadism for their own amusement
Maul - Sadism that supports current combat goals.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Solauren wrote: 2022-06-30 04:08pm Different circumstances
When Vader stabbed Riva, and when Riva stabbed the Grand Inquisitor, they wanted their victims to suffer physically and emotionally.
Possibly fatal wound, that will take time, and it will hurt.
So, really, it was sadism.

When Darth Maul stabbed Jinn, it was after seperating the two Jedi he was fighting (and had been retreating against the entire time)
He wanted Jinn out of the fight, so he probably also got his spine in addition to the gut wound.
That way, Jinn is out of the fight, will die even if somehow Kenobi beats Maul, and there is a good change seeing his master down will distract if not break Kenobi.

Vader - Sadism for their own amusement
Riva - Sadism for their own amusement
Maul - Sadism that supports current combat goals.
Considering where the exit wound on Quin-Gon Jinn is (about middle of his back) it's highly likely that Maul severed his spine in addition to what ever internal organ damage there was (also I think Jinn was stabbed higher in the body), while the Grand Inquisitor and Riva seemed to be stabbed lower down and to the side so the saber would get things like the spleen or the intestines but not the lungs or the heart thus creating a wound that could be lethal but wouldn't be a quick or painless death.

And then there's the fact to quote Darth Sidious "the dark side of the Force is a path way to many abilities some consider to be unnatural" emphasis mine (though he might have emphasized it in the movie as well I can't recall atm. Dark Side users surviving wounds that should have killed them is nothing new to this series and there's examples of Dark Side users surviving injuries that make them look like walking corpses that have no right to be breathing, let alone be moving under their own power.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

This show also shows what happens when a Dark Sider gets target fixated.

Vader's actions in this series are out of character for him -- he's normally pretty chill, only going lethal if you do something exceptionally stupid.

In this, he's force breaking the necks of random people as bait, etc.

And the best part is, it's actually in character as well (I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself), when you factor in Obi Wan.

His rage for Kenobi overrules all; to the point where he starts making tactically poor (instead of sending the Star Destroyer's 72 TIEs and shuttles after the rebel ship; he continues to go after Kenobi's escape pod with no deployment of secondary forces) and strategically poor decisions (Killing random people for no good cause).

Ironically, it's Palpatine who pulls Vader back from the brink of Sith Rage at the end.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-07-01 07:45am Considering where the exit wound on Quin-Gon Jinn is (about middle of his back) it's highly likely that Maul severed his spine in addition to what ever internal organ damage there was (also I think Jinn was stabbed higher in the body), while the Grand Inquisitor and Riva seemed to be stabbed lower down and to the side so the saber would get things like the spleen or the intestines but not the lungs or the heart thus creating a wound that could be lethal but wouldn't be a quick or painless death.

And then there's the fact to quote Darth Sidious "the dark side of the Force is a path way to many abilities some consider to be unnatural" emphasis mine (though he might have emphasized it in the movie as well I can't recall atm. Dark Side users surviving wounds that should have killed them is nothing new to this series and there's examples of Dark Side users surviving injuries that make them look like walking corpses that have no right to be breathing, let alone be moving under their own power.
Fighting to preserve their own life is basically Sith/dark sider's creed at this point. It's clear why the Jedi and Sith philosophy diverge. It's why fear of losing things is seen as a path to the dark side, because that's why bring people down that path, and against the creed of the Jedi.

Look at what happened to the Jedi that embrace letting go of their life and becoming one with the force. Qui-Gon did it and he became a force ghost. Obi-Wan deliberately did it to become a force ghost. Yoda was also ready to die when he knows his time has come. And Anakin after he was brought back to the light also did the same.

What they did allowed them to gain true immortality, retaining their consciousness as part of the living force.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

MKSheppard wrote: 2022-07-01 09:45am This show also shows what happens when a Dark Sider gets target fixated.

Vader's actions in this series are out of character for him -- he's normally pretty chill, only going lethal if you do something exceptionally stupid.

And the best part is, it's actually in character as well (I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself), when you factor in Obi Wan.

His rage for Kenobi overrules all; to the point where he starts making tactically poor (instead of sending the Star Destroyer's 72 TIEs and shuttles after the rebel ship; he continues to go after Kenobi's escape pod with no deployment of secondary forces) and strategically poor decisions (Killing random people for no good cause).

Ironically, it's Palpatine who pulls Vader back from the brink of Sith Rage at the end.
That actually makes sense since unlike Vader Palpatine isn't fueled by rage so much as he's fueled by his lust for power, that's why Palpatine has no use for Vader who is a mindless berserker but wants a Vader who is in control of his fury (something Vader never truly is even in the OT).

Another good example of Vader's anger and fury getting the better of him is in episode 4 after Obi-wan escapes the inquisitor's HQ, normally Vader doesn't raise his voice and is very subtle with his Force Choke making it seem more like it was his presence and anger that made people choke rather then a telekinetic attack, yet on Riva Vader lifts her a good meter from the floor by her neck using the Force while growling at her clearly showing that his emotions are getting the better of Vader.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Also, the Grand Inquisitor and the crew of Vader's ISD are actually quite smart. When vader says FOLLOW KENOBI; they quietly nod and do it.

I don't doubt that the Grand Inquisitor did file a report to Palpatine on this, ultimately leading to Palpatine's call on Vader in his castle.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

MKSheppard wrote: 2022-07-01 09:45am This show also shows what happens when a Dark Sider gets target fixated.

Yes this fit quite well into the show. Vader as far we've seen him so far has been cold and ruthless.

His actions in his rage and obsession with getting back at Kenobi make sense in this context and they made it work here
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Spice Runner wrote: 2022-07-04 09:42pm

Yes this fit quite well into the show. Vader as far we've seen him so far has been cold and ruthless.

His actions in his rage and obsession with getting back at Kenobi make sense in this context and they made it work here
Vader: The probes are tracking every system within range! WE WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING IN OUR PATH UNTIL HE IS FOUND!!!”

Palpatine: ……. You seem agitated, my friend!

I’ll admit I laughed at that :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Tribble wrote: 2022-07-06 12:17am
Vader: The probes are tracking every system within range! WE WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING IN OUR PATH UNTIL HE IS FOUND!!!”

Palpatine: ……. You seem agitated, my friend!

I’ll admit I laughed at that :lol:

Yeah that scene was a treat 😄
Palpatine the old smoothie
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I can't say if it's the massive improvement everybody SAYS it is (not without having seen the two versions side by-side), but the movie edit definitely WORKS as a movie-to the extent I'd happily buy a reasonably priced DVD release so I don't have to watch it on the PC.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-06-29 08:53pm
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-29 08:43pm Didn't Vader get the fancy new TIE Advanced and Super Star Destroyer?
The Emperor and Vader are very obsessed with their jobs and the general principle of boots on faces. The TIE Advanced and fancy Star Destroyer help that. The shuttle gets them from A to B and that's enough.
Until very recently the US Presidential helicopter was a Sea King, not exactly the newest and bestest...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We've been using the Hercules for how long now? for another example.