Did the Death Star have a hidden purpose?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Did the Death Star have a hidden purpose?

Post by MKSheppard »

This is kind of shower thoughts level, but bear this out with me.

There are strong hints that the creation and construction of the two Death Stars must have been linked with the Force, IOW; it wasn't just about the Tarkin Doctrine and creating a mobile siege engine that could destroy heavily shielded worlds.

We can suss this out from three bits of information:

1.) Palpatine authorizes construction of the Second Death Star, and it's substantially complete by ROTJ. Why do that, when you could have built its equivalent weight in Star Destroyers, especially since the destruction of the Death Star I shows that the entire concept has weaknesses.

2.) Palpatine had a personal Royal Tower on both Death Stars -- the first was destroyed before he could take occupancy. (The implication of this is that Vader was present on the first Death Star as a "minder" to make sure that Tarkin didn't make a play at declaring himself Emperor Tarkin I with the Death Star's power.)

3.) Obi Wan's famous: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." line.

From those bits, I think that the Death Star was a Sith version of the dedication of the Sixth Great Temple of Tenochtitlan (where the Aztecs sacrified about 84,000 people over four days).

Remember that with a conventional base delta zero, it still takes about 90 minutes (1 orbit) to slag an undefended world. A more heavily defended world like Alderaan might take several days to overheat the planetary shields with the combined fire of thousands of ships before it collapses.

The Death Star's big thing is that it can kill a massive amount of people almost instantly. I don't think it's out of possibilities that Palpatine planned to use the Death Star to channel and focus massive amounts of Force energies from so much concentrated death for..."abilities some consider to be unnatural."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Did the Death Star have a hidden purpose?

Post by Batman »

MKSheppard wrote: 2021-10-13 08:28pm This is kind of shower thoughts level, but bear this out with me.
There are strong hints that the creation and construction of the two Death Stars must have been linked with the Force, IOW; it wasn't just about the Tarkin Doctrine and creating a mobile siege engine that could destroy heavily shielded worlds.
We can suss this out from three bits of information:
1.) Palpatine authorizes construction of the Second Death Star, and it's substantially complete by ROTJ. Why do that, when you could have built its equivalent weight in Star Destroyers, especially since the destruction of the Death Star I shows that the entire concept has weaknesses.
The equivalent weight in Star Destroyers likely 'could' have dealt with planetary shields. Eventually. Being able to casually ignore them is much more impressive. The first Death Star died to one small and virtually impossible to exploit weakness (one, thanks to Rogue One, deliberately built in by the creator), the second died due to being incomplete and Palpatine being an overconfident moron. How does any of that reflect on the 'concept' of a Death Star?
3.) Obi Wan's famous: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." line.
From those bits, I think that the Death Star was a Sith version of the dedication of the Sixth Great Temple of Tenochtitlan (where the Aztecs sacrified about 84,000 people over four days).
Or maybe the Death Star was just a quicker and more impressive way of beating planetary shields and Kenobi was just reacting to billions of sentient beings (which kinda are connected to the Force) dying
The Death Star's big thing is that it can kill a massive amount of people almost instantly. I don't think it's out of possibilities that Palpatine planned to use the Death Star to channel and focus massive amounts of Force energies from so much concentrated death for..."abilities some consider to be unnatural."
The Death Star's big thing is unlike any other tool in the Empire's arsenal it can go through Alderaan quality planetary shields in essentially no time.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Marauder

Post by bilateralrope »

MKSheppard wrote: 2021-10-13 08:28pm 2.) Palpatine had a personal Royal Tower on both Death Stars -- the first was destroyed before he could take occupancy. (The implication of this is that Vader was present on the first Death Star as a "minder" to make sure that Tarkin didn't make a play at declaring himself Emperor Tarkin I with the Death Star's power.)
Sounds like he was planning to use the Death Star as his throne. Maybe so he could directly witness planets going boom, maybe because that gives more control over who can get close to him, maybe so he can directly intervene if anyone aboard it is disloyal.

That aspect of control might also be one reason against an equivalent mass of Star Destroyers. Every Star Destroyer requires a crew who might be disloyal (especially during a BDZ) and their ability to spread out complicates any response to that.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Death Star was the biggest and most obvious symbol of Imperial power. It was a permanent reminder that the might of the Empire could go anywhere and threaten anyone all throughout the galaxy forever, even beyond its ability to blow up planets it was a giant fleet base and quite possibly had things like shipyard and spacedock facilities, it was big enough to be completely self sufficient if needed.

It was the perfect place to rule from. An unassailable fortress, an unstoppable projection of power, and so of course the Emperor wanted to tie it to himself personally.