Rogue One (Spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

eMeM
Padawan Learner

Re: Rogue One (Spoilers)

Post by eMeM »

Kojiro wrote:Just saw it. Really liked it overall. Definitely not perfect but I can see myself picking this up on Blu-ray when it becomes available (as opposed to TFA).

Did anyone else notice that they were calling for Admiral Syndulla over the PA on Yavin 4?
General Syndulla.
I mean, Rebel ranks are a mess, but I'd expect Hera to become admiral not general, certainly her responsibilities right now look like they fit a naval captain (which would be army colonel I think), not an army captain.
So maybe it was her father.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Eh, either or. I just noticed the name.

I will say this though- this film does make Stormtroopers utterly useless. Their armour doesn't seem to offer protection from blaster bolts or for that matter a wooden stick and it appears the Empire would be better served with an army of whatever droid K-S is.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

eMeM wrote:
Kojiro wrote:Just saw it. Really liked it overall. Definitely not perfect but I can see myself picking this up on Blu-ray when it becomes available (as opposed to TFA).

Did anyone else notice that they were calling for Admiral Syndulla over the PA on Yavin 4?
General Syndulla.
I mean, Rebel ranks are a mess, but I'd expect Hera to become admiral not general, certainly her responsibilities right now look like they fit a naval captain (which would be army colonel I think), not an army captain.
So maybe it was her father.

Starfighter commanders (or people commanding a starfighter wing) in SW have been called Generals in the past.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Yeah, even in this movie the Blue Leader is a general, and it makes sense when you consider the starfighters to be the air force, which does have a rank of general.

But I don't think Hera is an air force/army captain "now", she's navy captain. Navy captain is a higher rank and would make more sense, given that Ezra has been promoted to Lt. Commander for one mission, which is a navy rank and would be higher than an army/air force captain but lower than a navy captain.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Thanas wrote:Starfighter commanders (or people commanding a starfighter wing) in SW have been called Generals in the past.
Most notably there was a rebel alliance general who commanded rebel fighters from his own custom light freighter before too...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

The movie was pretty clearly trying to sell Leia's corvette in Rogue One as the Tantive IV.

I could do with fewer nods to the past (if you hadn't seen the OT, how could you understand this movie?) but in retrospect this was clearly a nostalgia oriented film and the closest thing to Dark Forces the movie we'll ever get, so I'll have to forgive it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Also crew of the Ghost seem more like a spec ops team then a naval crew, besides I'd surpriced if the rebel ranking system wasn't a mess it's not like they're a professional military force built from the ground up, they're a collections various resistance movements each (probably) with their own ranking systems and traditions.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Ion weapons: In the OT they were orange/red (ESB) but in the EU they got changed to blue. I was sad to see the ion torpedoes causing blue discharges. That and the early appearance of the MonCal armada are my only turbo nerd gripes.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

GuppyShark wrote:Ion weapons: In the OT they were orange/red (ESB) but in the EU they got changed to blue. I was sad to see the ion torpedoes causing blue discharges. That and the early appearance of the MonCal armada are my only turbo nerd gripes.
Ion discharge was blue in the clone wars. That horse already bolted.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

GuppyShark wrote:The movie was pretty clearly trying to sell Leia's corvette in Rogue One as the Tantive IV.

I could do with fewer nods to the past (if you hadn't seen the OT, how could you understand this movie?) but in retrospect this was clearly a nostalgia oriented film and the closest thing to Dark Forces the movie we'll ever get, so I'll have to forgive it.
There's an Empire. It is repressive. These people fight against it but have issues. Tarkin is an A-hole.

Krennic is an ambitious but dumber A-hole.

All you need to know to understand the film.

I also think it'd work well being watched after the prequels.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Revan wrote:Also crew of the Ghost seem more like a spec ops team then a naval crew, besides I'd surpriced if the rebel ranking system wasn't a mess it's not like they're a professional military force built from the ground up, they're a collections various resistance movements each (probably) with their own ranking systems and traditions.
Yes, but Hera's killed more TIE fighters than most pilots have had hot dinners, so why not make her a general? She clearly wasn't commanding this battle though.

And yeah, I agree on the idea that rebel ranks would be haphazard.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

NecronLord wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Also crew of the Ghost seem more like a spec ops team then a naval crew, besides I'd surpriced if the rebel ranking system wasn't a mess it's not like they're a professional military force built from the ground up, they're a collections various resistance movements each (probably) with their own ranking systems and traditions.
Yes, but Hera's killed more TIE fighters than most pilots have had hot dinners, so why not make her a general? She clearly wasn't commanding this battle though.

And yeah, I agree on the idea that rebel ranks would be haphazard.
I wasn't arguing she shouldn't have been made a "space force" general but rather I wanted to point out that even her current duties don't really the job description of an admiral(or other naval officer) so much as they fit a general of sometype (leading the Phoenix Force starfighters or planning/leading commando raids with the crew of the Ghost).

Besides isn't her father still around and he was most definetly a general.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

He is, but I'd imagine he'd be on the ground if it was at all possible for him to get there and if he was anywhere. Cham is not one known for hanging back.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Rebel Flagship, the Profundity is a MC-75 City ship converted into a warship. I really hate the converted warship idea, especially when they made the entire Mon Cal race conducting a mass exodus into space using their city ships.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

NecronLord wrote:He is, but I'd imagine he'd be on the ground if it was at all possible for him to get there and if he was anywhere. Cham is not one known for hanging back.
Cham also fought for Ryloth rather than for the wider Rebel Alliance. I would assume it is Hera.
ray245 wrote:The Rebel Flagship, the Profundity is a MC-75 City ship converted into a warship. I really hate the converted warship idea, especially when they made the entire Mon Cal race conducting a mass exodus into space using their city ships.
What is wrong with the exodus concept? It nicely justifies why the Mon Cal are able to support the Rebel Alliance so heavily, as they thus have no need to protect a vulnerable homeworld.

As for converted warships, it is somewhat reasonable when they rely on shields over armor, as the Mon Cal and TF battleships seem to.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Oh and those AT-ACs are officially stupid too. Their armour is sufficiently light they can be taken out by fighters or even have a leg blown off by what appears to be a door gunner weapon. The equivalent of firing out the side of a chopper with a heavy machine gun. Yeah they're only cargo haulers but that just begs the question of 'what the fuck are they doing here?' We can see the whole damn place and there's nowhere elevated (except the tower, which has working elevators) for them to dock. Which makes them slow ass cargo haulers that are terribly difficult to load/unload. Perhaps somewhere they have a use, but it's not at this installation.

Also what does the crashing ship mean for a planetary shield? Drive a big enough ship into it and you just go through?

I really liked all the nods to the OT though. Yeah the Mos Eisley bar criminals were pure nostalgia, as were phrases like 'he served me well during the clone wars' but I don't care. I even like that we saw Red 5 die, so that someone else could inherit that designation. Oh and of all the people I know who have seen it that aren't SW fans (like most of us) no one picked Tarkin as CG but easily spotted Leia. I think knowing he's CG makes him more detectable in this case.

I'm torn on the whole Vader/Tantive IV escape. Vader was almost pure badassery but he let the plans slip through his fingers because he refused to move at more than a casual stroll. Also I now have to really wonder why Leia didn't do something more productive with the plans than fly to Tatooine. Given where she escaped from it seems like Kenobi can wait- she has to know she's being pursued.

Jyn's not perfect but she's a welcome relief compared to Rey. I really liked her.
Dragon Clan Veritech
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Just got back from it. Overall I think it was a decent movie, but I was really disappointed that there was no opening crawl. Darth Vader seemed really, really off. I also don't buy that the Death Star plans would take up so much data. I'd wager that it would be smaller than an average youtube video.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Adam Reynolds wrote: What is wrong with the exodus concept? It nicely justifies why the Mon Cal are able to support the Rebel Alliance so heavily, as they thus have no need to protect a vulnerable homeworld.

As for converted warships, it is somewhat reasonable when they rely on shields over armor, as the Mon Cal and TF battleships seem to.
How are you going to generate the resources to keep so many civilians safe and well fed in space? Migrate to a different planet and they will easily be noticed.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kojiro wrote:Oh and those AT-ACs are officially stupid too. Their armour is sufficiently light they can be taken out by fighters or even have a leg blown off by what appears to be a door gunner weapon. The equivalent of firing out the side of a chopper with a heavy machine gun. Yeah they're only cargo haulers but that just begs the question of 'what the fuck are they doing here?' We can see the whole damn place and there's nowhere elevated (except the tower, which has working elevators) for them to dock. Which makes them slow ass cargo haulers that are terribly difficult to load/unload. Perhaps somewhere they have a use, but it's not at this installation.
Yeah it seems to me they made sure they were AT-ACTs and not AT-ATs precisely because having AT-ATs wrecked as easily would've been inconsistent with TESB.

Cross-post:

This movie was so great.

My god the easter eggs! The callbacks!

- The Juggernaut being used as a prison transport!
- The callout to General Sendulla over the Yavin 4 PA!
- Red and Gold Leader!
- Vader's lava castle!!!!!!!!

The space battle was amazing. I actually totally missed Vader's ship splatting smaller rebel ships and focused on it shredding the rebel fleet. In a very short sequence it instantly rehabilitated the ISD's reputation, especially given the two ships guarding Scarif didn't seem to fight very hard - though I saw one of the foremost HTLs firing at one instance.

I found the movie very ballsy. It didn't pull many punches - of course all of the team would die, because we never see them again. Of course all of Blue Squadron dies, because we never seen them again. Of course Admiral Winston Churchill and his ship dies, because we never see them again :)

As the movie got perilously close to the end, I got very nervous that Vader's one cool moment was showing up in Devastator ... but then ... but then ...

What a fun script. K-2SO stole the show.

Now I can add canon and other nitpicks:

- Leia's ship being docked at the rebel flagship at Scarif was unnecessary, and makes Vader's conversation with Leia in ANH awkward - bitch, Vader saw your ship leave. He also expressly tells her that plans were beamed to her ship. But they weren't, they were put on a disc on the flagship.

- Unlike Tarkin's CGI, Leia's CGI was not well done. She looked like a pod person. My girlfriend on the other hand couldn't remember who Tarkin was and didn't know that Peter Cushing has been dead for over 20 years.

- Bodhi saying the Death Star was 'fueled' by kyber crystals - is not true. Rogue One: Catalyst confirms again (as Tarkin did before) time that she's powered by a hypermatter reactor. Of course, he is a layperson and it doesn't make much difference - Catalyst tells us the kyber crystal(s?) acts as a 'booster' - pumping them with energy gets a greater energy return. On the scale of the Death Star, we all know the results.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Vympel wrote:Yeah it seems to me they made sure they were AT-ACTs and not AT-ATs precisely because having AT-ATs wrecked as easily would've been inconsistent with TESB.
I'm dubbing them AT-NTs- All Terrain Nostalgia Transports. Their function is to elicit nostalgia first and foremost.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kojiro wrote:
Vympel wrote:Yeah it seems to me they made sure they were AT-ACTs and not AT-ATs precisely because having AT-ATs wrecked as easily would've been inconsistent with TESB.
I'm dubbing them AT-NTs- All Terrain Nostalgia Transports. Their function is to elicit nostalgia first and foremost.
I'm stealing that. Though I must admit one of them looming out of the mist was very Gareth Edwards.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

blahface wrote:I also don't buy that the Death Star plans would take up so much data. I'd wager that it would be smaller than an average youtube video.
You've clearly never dealt with CAD files before. A small office building can be in 500MB-1GB range. Now scale that up to a 160km diameter building...
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

What was mildly perplexing there was that it looked like Jyn had a rather large hard drive type device to store the plans- which is fine, I get that it would be a big file- but then the rebels transferred it to what looked like the SW equivalent of a 3.5" floppy. Also jebus, what's wrong with storing things liken normal people? That storage system was absurd.
Dragon Clan Veritech
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

atg wrote:
blahface wrote:I also don't buy that the Death Star plans would take up so much data. I'd wager that it would be smaller than an average youtube video.
You've clearly never dealt with CAD files before. A small office building can be in 500MB-1GB range. Now scale that up to a 160km diameter building...
I didn't realize that. It is hard to believe that it would need that much space.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Depending on how detailed it is, it could need to show everything from how the hull sections fit together, down to the individual circuitry paths on the primary CPU core.