Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by Luke Starkiller »

I screenshot that to use as my desktop wallpaper and noticed that you can see stars through the right side near the centerline. Spoiler
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Maybe it's just me, but the way the Death Star is portrayed in these trailers actually leaves me disappointed in how it is visualized in the original film. Here, the visuals make it look absolutely titanic, powerful, and invincible. I found myself whispering "wow" to myself as I watched this trailer. Now, I look at it in Episode 4 and I think, "is that all?".

Sounds stupid I know, but the Death Star really does feel much more ominous and impressive in this film than it ever did before. I can't wait to see it on the big screen.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

They have a lot more to work with effects wise now. And you should remember that whatever your feelings about the DS now, they are informed by what you learned about it in EP4.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

atg wrote:
eMeM wrote:
A nice detail that I noticed: Spoiler
Hammerhead corvettes from Rebels - upper middle and upper right corner of the screen
Spoiler
You sure thats what they are? They look like Neb-B's to me.
There are both present in the shot.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Gareth Edwards has a very good eye for visual direction. Far better than JJ Abrams.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Borgholio wrote:Here, the visuals make it look absolutely titanic, powerful, and invincible. I found myself whispering "wow" to myself as I watched this trailer. Now, I look at it in Episode 4 and I think, "is that all?".
Could be that this is the first time we've seen a good FX shot looking at it from the bottom of an atmosphere. IIRC every scene in Ep.4 was in space.

And then it turns until the big dish is pointing right between your eyes... Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Borgholio wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the way the Death Star is portrayed in these trailers actually leaves me disappointed in how it is visualized in the original film. Here, the visuals make it look absolutely titanic, powerful, and invincible. I found myself whispering "wow" to myself as I watched this trailer. Now, I look at it in Episode 4 and I think, "is that all?".

Sounds stupid I know, but the Death Star really does feel much more ominous and impressive in this film than it ever did before. I can't wait to see it on the big screen.
They've literally made it bigger. The original death star is nowhere near as optically large.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Fuck, this film looks gorgeous. And badass. And just fun. Love the way they're presenting the Death Star as well as others said - gargantuan, imposing, a truly massive threat. Really can't wait for this now, hope it's as good as it looks :)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

atg wrote:You sure thats what they are? They look like Neb-B's to me.
I am, compare those three: Spoiler
(is it me or are the spoilers broken?)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Patroklos wrote:They have a lot more to work with effects wise now. And you should remember that whatever your feelings about the DS now, they are informed by what you learned about it in EP4.
You mean like how this massive war machine only got off one real good shot before it obliterated by a farmboy with help from a ghost? :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

eMeM wrote:(is it me or are the spoilers broken?)
Yes, they have been for awhile. Don't include them with a quote box.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

NecronLord wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the way the Death Star is portrayed in these trailers actually leaves me disappointed in how it is visualized in the original film. Here, the visuals make it look absolutely titanic, powerful, and invincible. I found myself whispering "wow" to myself as I watched this trailer. Now, I look at it in Episode 4 and I think, "is that all?".

They've literally made it bigger. The original death star is nowhere near as optically large.
Maybe I just missed a shot that debunks this idea, but I just assumed the DS is really close to the planet in these shots.
BotM Cybertronian
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Yes. John Knoll, the Executive Producer and Visual Effects Supervisor on Rogue One, confirmed they'd used 'cheats' for those shots to make it look more impressive, here.

Lens effects and an implausibly dense moon are the answers he's given to why it looks so massive - IE it's "filmed" through long lens to make it look deceptively big.

Like so.

IE they've increased its apparent size to make it have that effect on the audience, when in reality for someone on the moon's surface using Mk1 eyeball it would look far smaller.

If you were seeing that on an earth sized planet with mk1 eyeball, it'd intersect the planet.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

I hope the Death Star hovering over a tiny moon using repulsors is not a canon explanation ;)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

eMeM wrote:I hope the Death Star hovering over a tiny moon using repulsors is not a canon explanation ;)
...I can actually buy it. Kinda.

I mean, if they have the power to hollow out a moon, cover it with atmosphere, and put inside a weapon that can literally drain suns and blow up planets across the galaxy... holding a Death Star in geostationary orbit shouldn't be *that* much trouble. It'd fill up some of the absurd amounts of space that it has to have inside, that's for sure.

EDIT: Honestly, to me the 'tiny ultra-dense moon' part is the most problematic one, as I'm not sure how exactly that would work.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Everybody's nerding out over the Hammerhead Transports (because that's what Rebels established them as) and I'm over here wondering why the Alliance brought them and their Medium Transport cousins to a strike mission.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

RogueIce wrote:Everybody's nerding out over the Hammerhead Transports (because that's what Rebels established them as) and I'm over here wondering why the Alliance brought them and their Medium Transport cousins to a strike mission.
They also brought them to Endor, so they must have some combat value overall.

I can think of three plausible scenarios. The first is that they are using them primarily as external shields for their more valuable warships, the second is that they are using them as fireships, and the third is that they have retrofitted some of them into actual warships.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

If I remember my legends, the transports at endor were packed with munitions and used as ramships. Although the movie doesn't really support this.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

CetaMan wrote:If I remember my legends, the transports at endor were packed with munitions and used as ramships. Although the movie doesn't really support this.
it doesn't deny it either we just don't seem them used as such on-screen.

That said I suspect that early rebel alliance was rather low when it came to resources and used what they could get their hands and only post-Yavin they have enough support/resources to field sufficient amount of warships to not have to use what ever was avaible. So the transports could be what was avaible and the rebels had to "make due" rather being picky about it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

eMeM wrote:
atg wrote:You sure thats what they are? They look like Neb-B's to me.
I am, compare those three:

(is it me or are the spoilers broken?)
They are indeed broken and have been since the forum software update.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Everybody's nerding out over the Hammerhead Transports (because that's what Rebels established them as) and I'm over here wondering why the Alliance brought them and their Medium Transport cousins to a strike mission.
They also brought them to Endor, so they must have some combat value overall.

I can think of three plausible scenarios. The first is that they are using them primarily as external shields for their more valuable warships, the second is that they are using them as fireships, and the third is that they have retrofitted some of them into actual warships.
Also electronic warfare, more sensor coverage (maybe they could be retrofitted to work as an AWACS?), coordinating fighters so the big ships can focus on firing big cannons, makeshift carriers and medical ships, maybe a sort of CSAR (picking up escape pods and damaged fighters or docking to critically damaged ships and evacuating the crew).

Hammerheads are at least armed, if they are desperate every barrel counts.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I know it doesn't count for much, but in the X-Wing miniatures game that Fantasy Flight produces, the GR-75 is completely pointless as a combat vessel unless kitted out for electronic warfare via buffing and debuffing units - which it's very, very good at. It wouldn't surprise me if they take that direction in the movies going forward assuming they bother to address it at all.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Or they carry boarding parties. We saw in the Clone Wars and ROTS similar tactics by enemy forces in large set piece battles to land troops on cap ships.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I hope the movie tells us how Director Krennic fits into the Death Star's overall development without downplaying Tarkin's role. His bio on the official web site seems to indicate that the Death Star was his baby though.