Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I believe the bit about Galen Erso was more or less confirmed by Mikkelsen himself, that he played Jynn's father and that he was involved in working on the Death Star. It would be interesting to see a character like that in Star Wars.

What is also interesting with her character is that there is potentially something of a double cross, in that she was really recruited so that the Rebel Alliance could get to her father rather than for her skills. This will inevitably drive a wedge between her and her allies and lead to her considering an offer from the Empire.

Given that Donnie Yen's character is described as blind, I suspect he is a Jedi in all but name given the era in which he fights.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Elheru Aran wrote:The latter is particularly interesting as, IIRC, it's one of the first times an EU character has been canonized in the films themselves
TCW is canon, though. Always was under all versions of Lucasfilm canon policy. I do agree with you, though, that I like the idea of media crossovers that give the silver screen treatment to TV and book/comics characters.
Elheru Aran wrote:(though from a certain point of view Rogue One is EU itself...).
Is this because it's outside of the main trilogies?
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elheru Aran wrote:The latter is particularly interesting as, IIRC, it's one of the first times an EU character has been canonized in the films themselves
No, that would be Aayla Secura.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Galvatron wrote:
No, that would be Aayla Secura.
There is a long list of things originally featured in the old EU that made their way into the films. It includes Coruscant and double bladed lightsabers as well.

I'm not sure what has applied with the new continuity.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well... I *did* say 'one of' :P News to me, but cool, I guess.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Adam Reynolds wrote:There is a long list of things originally featured in the old EU that made their way into the films. It includes Coruscant and double bladed lightsabers as well.

I'm not sure what has applied with the new continuity.
The acceptance of Hutts as a species, rather than a gangster title (as originally suggested), was also new to the film.
Christ, we have the EU to thank for that one? I always thought it was stupid in the EU, but then TPM gave us "We can't go to Tatooine! The Hutts are gangsters!" :roll:
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Some new photos released.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-o ... o-krennic/

Some pretty good looks at the Deathtroopers in particular. Kinda iffy about them. Their shoulder bells and hand plates look more like what you'd see on a First Order trooper and belt looks like it was stolen from Vader but overall not a terrible design. One picture of them stands out to me though.

I am incredibly interested in finding out whats up with the Deathtrooper having a stormtrooper doll. A memento from his or her kid? Some trophy take from a victim? Just some random object her or she picked up because they thought it was funny? Could this be another instance of showing stormtroopers as people and then completely ignoring it to slaughter them? Dunno but it certainly has me interested in finding out.

The Stormtroopers in the water is just fucking awesome looking. And I hope these are the "Beachtroopers" that were mentioned before. Because having a specialized trooper for beaches sounds......well fucking stupid as fucking fuck.

One of the Rebel Scum appears to be wearing an old Imperial uniform, possible defector. Former Imperials have been mentioned throughout the old EU but it would be cool to see one who is blatantly a defector. Most likely just wearing the uniform when they are doing their infiltration.

The blind Jedi in all but name guy rubs me the wrong way. Kinda stupid to have a guy armed with a stick fighting troops with guns in a warzone without getting turned into a bloody crater. Jedi could get away with it with their lightsabers that can block blaster bolts and their magic spoon bender powers, some guy with a stick and possible powers not so much. Some reason that part in the trailer where Erso is beating up stormtroopers pisses me off and alot of action movies do. Whats the point of giving mooks guns if they are just going to charge into melee range of the enemy. For fucks sake.

Unrelated to the link but some shittier parts of the internet have been having a field day with the casting of this movie just like they did with Episode 7. Of the main cast in Rogue 1 all of the "good guys" are minorities or a woman with the only white guy playing a CG character. The bad guy is a blue eyed white guy. ZOMG clearly this movie is anti-white!!!!!

Personally I'm not sold on the movie yet (and not for the reasons the internet isn't sold on it) but am getting more interested in it. Still have concerns like my dislike of the Godzilla movie the director did and overall ambivalence towards the Mouse's and Jar Jar Abrams reign over Star Wars but I hoping my reservations will disappear when the finished product comes out.

If nothing else seeing the real Stormtroopers is all their glory with modern high def cameras and shit will be enough for me.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I am incredibly interested in finding out whats up with the Deathtrooper having a stormtrooper doll.
That droid in the background? It's not a droid. That's Missy's TARDIS. And, that doll isn't a doll... :P
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC, in the trailer, the Deathtroopers appear in front of what looks like a farm being burned. I suspect the Rebels try to rescue some kid and the kid drops his doll, and the troopers are tracking them down.

IIRC also, Donnie Yen's Jedi-lite character's stick is actually some kind of force-staff... and fact is, the Imperials are always going to assume that the Rebels are up to something, so if they aren't going to kill them outright, they're going to want them alive for questioning. Not that it makes it any less dumb, they could just hit them with a stun blast from a distance...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

Some behind the scenes stuff from calibration Europe. Looks AWSOME.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Joun_Lord wrote:I am incredibly interested in finding out whats up with the Deathtrooper having a stormtrooper doll. A memento from his or her kid? Some trophy take from a victim? Just some random object her or she picked up because they thought it was funny? Could this be another instance of showing stormtroopers as people and then completely ignoring it to slaughter them? Dunno but it certainly has me interested in finding out.
It'll be interesting if they find it in the rubble of a civilian home they just destroyed, indicating that the children who lived there were loyal Imperials like their parents. A brief moment of sad irony.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Or maybe rebel terrorists slaughtered a loyal, patriotic family and the pictured Death Trooper (good guy, it's in the name) found the doll and shocked by the bestiality swears to avenge them by bringing those criminals to justice?
#sheevdidnothingwrong
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Galvatron wrote:It'll be interesting if they find it in the rubble of a civilian home they just destroyed, indicating that the children who lived there were loyal Imperials like their parents. A brief moment of sad irony.
Possible. If so I wonder how they are going to show it. Horror or no fucks given or just whoops our bad. Somehow I doubt its going to be horror considering I doubt they pick the most compassionate or emotional soldiers to be called Death Troopers but hell might surprise us.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Probably no fucks given, especially since they're full-on deathtroopers. I get the feeling the Empire reserves them for only the most atrocious of missions.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Vader and Thrawn leaks on the same day, they need to calm down or else hype train will be too much.

"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Darth Thanatos
Redshirt

Post by Darth Thanatos »

Kojiro wrote:I will say one thing. Just *once* I'd like to see Stormtrooper armour not completely suck. Especially helmets. The entire point of them is that shitty attacks don't hurt the wearer.
:luv: This.
"Love does not lead to the Dark Side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled. But passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you, not condemn you." - Jolee Bindo, on the subject of the Jedi forbidding love.

If you want to really make a Hobbit mad at you, quote Anna from Frozen and tell them foot size doesn't matter.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The only new thing in here is that ship lifting off at the beginning. Supposedly a new trailer premieres sometime tonight during Olympic coverage, but I recall they said that a couple of days ago too and it didn't.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

FRESH trailer, published five minutes before this posting.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No more functual than the last one?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Seems to function just fine for me.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

I can't see it either. It's just a vertical black bar where the video is supposed to be. Same goes for all the videos in this thread...

A Youtube Link should do for now.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Cautiously optimistic after watching the trailer. More ISDs, more action shots, a better idea of the team they're putting together. Thinking the blind staff-wielder, if not a Jedi, might be Force-sensitive/trained? Makes up for beating down Stormies with a stick.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nope. Got the same black bars applejack did. His youtube link worked though.
Oh frabjous day. Looks like Ill have to brave 3D again this December.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I like seeing an ISD hovering in atmosphere in live action. Damned impressive. Rebels did it first, but the live action model has something special to it compared to the CG animated one.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Looking better, just one part really has my Mary Sue alerts going. The TIE fighter hovering in front of Jyn, she better not go 1on1 with a TIE with a blaster pistol and win. Guess one more thing is they don't seem to be doing much spying or infiltrating so far, would think it would be dangerous to be this overt an operation.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."