Star Wars stand-alone film named.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars stand-alone film named.

Post by Irbis »

Purple wrote:Both featured Darth Vader as a prominent character after all.
You mean as that whiny kid/teenager? If that's Darth Vader to you, then I'm the Archbishop of Genoa :lol:

My point still stands - vast majority of filmed SW content, both movie and TV series, is for all intents and purposes now that derided disjointed "Star Wars Universe" and the TOT rose tinted lenses worship going on here is sadly laughable now. Maybe it was true in 70s and 80s, but your typical 20-30 year old moviegoer and SW fan was 12 in 1999 and if he remembers something with amazement, it was Duel of the Fates, not Death Star battle. These people are much more used to have multiple Jedi changing every movie as protagonists, not to iconic trio of characters vs Evil Empire. Lucas sadly made sure of that.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Irbis wrote:So enlighten me, where exactly Luke Skywalker and Han Solo were in Prequel trilogy, Clone Wars movie and both TV series, again? Or for that matter, SW Rebels? Oh, wait, these must not be Star Wars enough or something :roll:
Future Vader is in the prequels, not to mention Obi-Wan and Luke and Leia's mother. As for the various EU TV series, those are hardly mainstream in the same sense as the films. The overwhelming majority of people who bothered to see ROTS in theaters never gave Clone Wars a second glance. It only made 68 million total worldwide vs ROTS making 102 million on its opening weekend alone.
Irbis wrote:So 10 million copies both KotORs sold were bought by Star Wars Geeks? Wow, that's a lot of them :lol:
The gaming community is hardly representative of the overall population that would watch films. And when it comes down to it, that's what Star Wars is. Depictions outside the realm of the films would need to be extremely good to really draw in viewers.

Though actually I was thinking about it, and there are rumors that Bioware is making a new SW game. It would be interesting if the did a repeat of KOTOR and went back in time. Now that the old continuity is gone, they could actually start fresh and stick closer to what the films indicated(Sith in power at one point historically, Sith wanting Revenge for spesific Jedi actions and Yoda knowing about the Rule of Two). What would really be interesting is if they made a pure Sith campaign in which you play as Darth Bane's first apprentice(thus allowing customization options for the character). This would be effectively adopting the Darth Bane* trilogy of novels which used that perspective. It would obviously have to start with a playable prologue of Bane surviving the destruction of the main Sith order, after which he goes into hiding and eventually begins training the apprentice. The endgame would be fighting and killing Bane.

* Bane was featured in Clone Wars and is thus still canon.
Irbis wrote:My point still stands - vast majority of filmed SW content, both movie and TV series, is for all intents and purposes now that derided disjointed "Star Wars Universe" and the TOT rose tinted lenses worship going on here is sadly laughable now. Maybe it was true in 70s and 80s, but your typical 20-30 year old moviegoer and SW fan was 12 in 1999 and if he remembers something with amazement, it was Duel of the Fates, not Death Star battle. These people are much more used to have multiple Jedi changing every movie as protagonists, not to iconic trio of characters vs Evil Empire. Lucas sadly made sure of that.
As someone in that demographic, I actually feel more nostalgic for the originals as an adult. The prequels just aren't as good and thus less worth rewatching. I still liked them, but they just aren't the same. It is interesting that when I was younger, I actually preferred the films that I now like the least. ROTJ, TPM and AOTC were actually my favorites when I first watched them. Now ESB and ROTS are my favorites. It is interesting that as I matured, my tastes in which films were my favorites matured with me(this was especially true in the preqeuls, I was the perfect age from TPM to ROTS). That is one of the great things about the SW saga, it appeals on so many different levels.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So enlighten me, where exactly Luke Skywalker and Han Solo were in Prequel trilogy, Clone Wars movie and both TV series, again?
Well Luke was a fetus, so he was definitely there. Han would have been a child but we did see the Falcon briefly.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Borgholio wrote:Well Luke was a fetus, so he was definitely there. Han would have been a child but we did see the Falcon briefly.
We also saw Chewbacca, so there is that. Wasn't the Falcon in ROTS as the Tantive IV is leaving Coruscant?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Wasn't the Falcon in ROTS as the Tantive IV is leaving Coruscant?
Yep, a brief cameo. It can be identified as the same class ship as the Falcon, and I believe that producer commentary identified it as the Falcon for sure (under a previous owner).
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Future Vader is in the prequels, not to mention Obi-Wan and Luke and Leia's mother. As for the various EU TV series, those are hardly mainstream in the same sense as the films. The overwhelming majority of people who bothered to see ROTS in theaters never gave Clone Wars a second glance. It only made 68 million total worldwide vs ROTS making 102 million on its opening weekend alone.
If one annoying teenager and a whiny kid that look nothing like two old geezers they were in TOT are enough to produce that was at the time highest grossing movie in history, then sorry, I don't see what arguments anyone can have against side movie happening at the same time.

And 68 mln might not be a lot, but it was displayed in a tiny handful of cinemas and still millions saw it or bought DVD. That was glorified direct-to-tv animated movie, this only proves what power SW badge has.
The gaming community is hardly representative of the overall population that would watch films. And when it comes down to it, that's what Star Wars is. Depictions outside the realm of the films would need to be extremely good to really draw in viewers.

The sheer number of people willing to pay (far more than TV ticket costs) for game set 4000 years before the movies somehow doesn't spell 'side stories are not viable' to me.
* Bane was featured in Clone Wars and is thus still canon.
Please, no minimalism :(
As someone in that demographic, I actually feel more nostalgic for the originals as an adult. The prequels just aren't as good and thus less worth rewatching.
You are an outlier. You actually saw all of them and can compare. My generation was about the last one that can say we saw SW TOT in cinemas, and that's because of 1997 anniversary Special Edition release. One year later, and TOT has to compete with Matrix and Phantom Menace, both of which make it look quaint and lose wow factor. Every year after that, more kids that saw Maul but never watched Luke Skywalker.

In fact, now that I think about it, one more month and we will be farther away from Phantom Menace than someone watching Return of the Jedi on very first seance. Talking about TOT being binding example to today's world still is blind nostalgia, I think :(
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Irbis wrote:Please, no minimalism :(
How is Darth Bane being in Clone Wars minimalism?

His spirit/tomb was featured in The Lost Missions Yoda arc when Yoda visited the Sith world, renamed Moraband from the EU's Korriban. Though that leads to the odd problem that Yoda realized that his order existed but still assumed they were killed. It doesn't make much sense that Bane would be known but that his order would still stay hidden.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Maybe Yoda figured Bane was the last. And with the shroud of the dark side hanging over him he went to the tomb of his last and greatest enemy to ponder when and how someone will one day rise to take his place.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Purple wrote:Maybe Yoda figured Bane was the last. And with the shroud of the dark side hanging over him he went to the tomb of his last and greatest enemy to ponder when and how someone will one day rise to take his place.
Referring to him as the Sith who created the Rule of Two makes no sense if Bane is the one who created Palpatine's hidden order.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yoda refers to the Rule of Two in The Phantom Menace, so for it to make any sense at all there has to have been some event in the past millennium that led the Jedi to believe that both master and apprentice had been killed, likely the death of an apprentice and some Dark Side adept that he had been training in secret to help overthrow the master.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

To be fair, Yoda doesn't say that there's a hard limit of two or anything. When I saw fifteen years ago (eep) I took it to mean that Sith operated in little cells of two.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:How is Darth Bane being in Clone Wars minimalism?

His spirit/tomb was featured in The Lost Missions Yoda arc when Yoda visited the Sith world, renamed Moraband from the EU's Korriban. Though that leads to the odd problem that Yoda realized that his order existed but still assumed they were killed. It doesn't make much sense that Bane would be known but that his order would still stay hidden.
I meant specifically whole new KotOR bit. If the story is of such "quality" as new Vader comic, please no.

And yes, it makes little sense, unless a Sith was captured. But even then, why sing all secrets, including totally unimportant details like genealogy, to Jedi?
Gandalf wrote:To be fair, Yoda doesn't say that there's a hard limit of two or anything. When I saw fifteen years ago (eep) I took it to mean that Sith operated in little cells of two.
Yoda wrote:Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Though Yoda didn't ever explicitly mention that was fort the entirety of The Sith now did he.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

AFAIK all that stuff - aside from Bane existing - is gone now. So who knows when the Rule of Two was brought in. For all we know the Jedi around Bane's time found out about this, killed him and some other person and thought the Sith were wiped out.

Not that I don't expect the new EU to fuck things up anyway, because it's what they seem to do best.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Some info on Rogue One.

Linky
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

If they add one line from old EU
Spoiler
Kyle Katarn, at your service
I'll have a nerdgasm :mrgreen:
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Given that it is presumably about X-wing pilots, somehow I doubt it. And I would prefer if in the future they stop trying to reference the EU at all. Especially for the new movies. Clone Wars and Rebels can somewhat, but it would be better if the new films tell completely original stories.

As a random thought I was just having, I wonder if any of the standalone films will take place during the prequel era? Somehow I doubt it. The focus seems to be on the OT and beyond now especially with the cancellation of Clone Wars in favor of Rebels. The new Battlefront game is apparently not really going to feature the prequels, though I would guess that DLC might add it.

And as I was thinking about this issue, it occurs to me that the OT really is a better era for stories because the heroes can actually make things truly better over the long term rather than just making things better temporarily as in the prequels(A major issue I have with The Clone Wars).

Though with the new sequel trilogy, perhaps the state of the galaxy will mean that it was actually better off under the Empire and thus none of it would matter regardless of the era. The good news for the state of the galaxy, is that Star Wars in 100 Scenes(the first reference book in the new canon) states that the heroes of Endor would face new challenges in restoring the Republic after defeating the Sith, which puts the state of the galaxy in a more positive light for the new films. Who knows how the new Sith/Empire play into this.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Given that it is presumably about X-wing pilots, somehow I doubt it. And I would prefer if in the future they stop trying to reference the EU at all.
If you don't remember, without Dark Forces, X-Wing/Tie Fighter, and Thrawn Trilogy, there wouldn't be any mid-90s SW renaissance that led to Rebel Assault II, Shadows of the Empire, and Special Editions. Hell, it's possible there would be no prequels and Star Wars would have remained irrelevant, quaint 70s phenomenon, like say Flash Gordon or Battlestar Galactica (pre-revival).

Even if Lucas tried to revive it on his own somehow, after RotJ he was burned out, bitter, and killed several franchises with his clumsy attempts. People who lined up to see Phantom Menace and made it such cash success were in large part those who grown up on all the 90s video games, books and comics, things Lucas had nothing to do with.

Spitting on that legacy just because... uh, I guess because some people like to be elitists by hating on whole EU, both later money milking trash and great stuff, would be... both sad and stupid. Especially seeing taking one legacy name as nod wouldn't limit the writers any.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Irbis wrote:Even if Lucas tried to revive it on his own somehow, after RotJ he was burned out, bitter, and killed several franchises with his clumsy attempts. People who lined up to see Phantom Menace and made it such cash success were in large part those who grown up on all the 90s video games, books and comics, things Lucas had nothing to do with.
The Eu might have kept SW alive for fans, but the average person who saw the preqeuls would have had no idea who Thrawn or Kyle Katarn were. The same would likely be true with the new movies. You shouldn't cater to a small part of your audience. Another part of the group that watched it were kids that were too young to have seen the OT when it came out. That is largely who the prequels were intended for.
Irbis wrote:Spitting on that legacy just because... uh, I guess because some people like to be elitists by hating on whole EU, both later money milking trash and great stuff, would be... both sad and stupid. Especially seeing taking one legacy name as nod wouldn't limit the writers any.
Elitism has nothing to do with it. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of the EU is crap. Even the good stories have serious problems that would be terrible if they made it into new movies. Kyle Katarn was featured in a series of games that had increasingly ridiculous Dark Side enemies. Thawn was featured in the same stories as kryptonite lizards.

The problem with letting in anything significant(like a character) is that it opens the floodgates. The fundamental problem with the old EU was that it had no quality control. So if we let Kyle Katarn in here, then another author is having a hard time stopping Jedi so he decides to use a Ysalimiri. Then the next decides to feature IG-88's Death Star as a minor element in a story. It is far better to throw out everything and start fresh.

I don't actually hate the EU. There are individual stories I quite enjoy. But I would rather see them start fresh than reintroduce most of the crap of the old setting.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:The Eu might have kept SW alive for fans, but the average person who saw the preqeuls would have had no idea who Thrawn or Kyle Katarn were.
Really? Thawn I can agree with as he is only a book character but I would not be so sure about Katarn. The man was in video games. And Jedi Outcast came out in 2002. That's pretty recent. So unless your target audience are in their early teens now they would have seen it.
Irbis wrote:So if we let Kyle Katarn in here, then another author is having a hard time stopping Jedi so he decides to use a Ysalimiri.
Or they could get creative. All they have to do is show the new Jedi as being less capable in combat than their ancient counterparts. The prequels dialed jedi powers up to 11. All they have to do is dial them back a bit. Not something that should be hard to justify what with all the lost knowledge, tradition and stuff.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Purple wrote:Really? Thawn I can agree with as he is only a book character but I would not be so sure about Katarn. The man was in video games. And Jedi Outcast came out in 2002. That's pretty recent. So unless your target audience are in their early teens now they would have seen it.
I was referring to the late 90s, after Dark Forces. A lot of people played the games, but it wasn't because of the characters or stories, it was because it let them play as Jedi. And if we let in Katarn, why not Starkiller. Did anyone think that those were good stories?
Purple wrote:Or they could get creative. All they have to do is show the new Jedi as being less capable in combat than their ancient counterparts. The prequels dialed jedi powers up to 11. All they have to do is dial them back a bit. Not something that should be hard to justify what with all the lost knowledge, tradition and stuff.
I completely agree. I would be surprised if the new Jedi and Sith were anywhere near as powerful as the old. The power level of Jedi was well done in the prequels overall. TPM dialed them up, only for AOTC to dial them back down with the shroud of the Dark Side.

My point was that allowing one thing in from the old EU will lead to more and more bad ideas infiltrating the new canon.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Purple wrote:Really? Thawn I can agree with as he is only a book character but I would not be so sure about Katarn. The man was in video games. And Jedi Outcast came out in 2002. That's pretty recent. So unless your target audience are in their early teens now they would have seen it.
I was referring to the late 90s, after Dark Forces. A lot of people played the games, but it wasn't because of the characters or stories, it was because it let them play as Jedi. And if we let in Katarn, why not Starkiller. Did anyone think that those were good stories?
Purple wrote:Or they could get creative. All they have to do is show the new Jedi as being less capable in combat than their ancient counterparts. The prequels dialed jedi powers up to 11. All they have to do is dial them back a bit. Not something that should be hard to justify what with all the lost knowledge, tradition and stuff.
I completely agree. I would be surprised if the new Jedi and Sith were anywhere near as powerful as the old. The power level of Jedi was well done in the prequels overall. TPM dialed them up, only for AOTC to dial them back down with the shroud of the Dark Side.

My point was that allowing one thing in from the old EU will lead to more and more bad ideas infiltrating the new canon.

To be fair, in Dark Forces, Kyle Katarn wasn't a Jedi yet.

In 1996 I made a decision. I was either going to continue to be a 10 year old Trekkie or become a Jedi like m.... I chose to follow Star Wars. So you have to keep in mind that for many fans the Resergience of Star Wars happened in the formative years of their lives. For us to really enjoy Star Wars we need some of the characters we "grew up with". I like how Quinlan Vos is still canon and I want others to come back. Some stories were crap and need to disappear but not all of them. Also since 2001 my email account is related to Corran Horn, so that hapless Jedi better be around still.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Tychu wrote:In 1996 I made a decision. I was either going to continue to be a 10 year old Trekkie or become a Jedi like m.... I chose to follow Star Wars. So you have to keep in mind that for many fans the Resergience of Star Wars happened in the formative years of their lives. For us to really enjoy Star Wars we need some of the characters we "grew up with". I like how Quinlan Vos is still canon and I want others to come back. Some stories were crap and need to disappear but not all of them. Also since 2001 my email account is related to Corran Horn, so that hapless Jedi better be around still.
No need to worry.

The stories are just as real as they were five years ago. Corran Horn is still around.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Gandalf wrote:
Tychu wrote:In 1996 I made a decision. I was either going to continue to be a 10 year old Trekkie or become a Jedi like m.... I chose to follow Star Wars. So you have to keep in mind that for many fans the Resergience of Star Wars happened in the formative years of their lives. For us to really enjoy Star Wars we need some of the characters we "grew up with". I like how Quinlan Vos is still canon and I want others to come back. Some stories were crap and need to disappear but not all of them. Also since 2001 my email account is related to Corran Horn, so that hapless Jedi better be around still.
No need to worry.

The stories are just as real as they were five years ago. Corran Horn is still around.
But not in canon, some people are bothered by this. Personally I don't see how the old canon could have possible worked anyway considering that it was rather self contradictory. They actually had to invent the hazy window analogy in order to justify things.

In the old continuity you almost had to treat it the way most Christians treat the Bible, simply thow out the parts you dislike and enjoy those that you did. I haven't actually read anything from the new continuity, so who knows how well they will pull things off overall. I might be reverting to a canon purist(likely including the new films).
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Gandalf wrote:
No need to worry.

OK question. How did this become the stock response to someone bemoaning the loss of the EU?

Yes, we get it. There is no Disney death squad that will come to burn our collections, and that's great, but it isn't what most of us EU fans are complaining about. Those of us who grew up with the EU and liked it are just sorry to hear that there won't be anymore stories with Jaina Solo or Kyle Katarn, that Timothy Zahn will never get to write his novel about Mara Jade's smuggler years with Talon Karrde.

Of course the typical response to that is that the EU was all shit anyways and good riddance, because most EU haters despise it so much that they can't even conceive of anyone liking it.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks