old topic--Darth Maul's lightsaber

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

old topic--Darth Maul's lightsaber

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

Sorry if this is a tired topic, but I just watched TPM on DVD for the first time, and I wanted to throw this out there.

The question is, why did Darth Maul switch his lightsaber from his right hand to his left when Obi Wan jumped over him at the end of TPM? I watched it frame by frame, and I noticed that while Obi Wan catches Qui Gon's lightsaber with his left hand, it's in his right hand when he comes down. Then he winds up like a left-handed batter and chops Maul.

If a right-handed person takes a swing at you, it comes at you from your left side. Maybe Maul instinctively switched hands so that he'd be in a better position to block a right handed attack. Obi Wan outfoxed him by going left, and Maul was flatfooted because he realized OH S*** I'M ON THE WRONG SIDE. Any kendo artists care to comment?

Thanks.
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I'm no kendo artist, but I think one should still be able to block even if they're on the wrong hand. It'd be harder, but still possible to do.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

. . .-just likes switching hands in combat-
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

I gotta page for everything!

http://h4h.com/louis/maulcut.html

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Boba Fett
Jedi Master

Post by Boba Fett »

Lord Poe wrote:I gotta page for everything!
LOL :D

...and as a dedicated fan of your works, I must say they are all good!!! :wink:
Visit Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Member of BotM and HAB
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

There's a huge difference in facing a right handed opponent and a left handed one when it comes to combat with weapons....switching to my left hand is a trick I've used on a few occasions to screw with an opponent....

As for this.....Maul made a mistake and paid for it big style.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

Keevan_Colton wrote:There's a huge difference in facing a right handed opponent and a left handed one when it comes to combat with weapons....switching to my left hand is a trick I've used on a few occasions to screw with an opponent....

As for this.....Maul made a mistake and paid for it big style.
Cool! I always wanted to find some good reason why Obi Wan was able to defeat Maul. :D

CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

Lord Poe wrote:I gotta page for everything!

http://h4h.com/louis/maulcut.html
Reading your page was what got me to look! :D

Seriously, this might solve the mystery. It's weird that Darth Maul switches hands, but when they BOTH do, maybe something's up.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Probably an sfx glitch... frames switching is very common in films.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The mistake Maul made was most likely due to overconfidence.

I mean, Dark Sith Apprentice (who just nailed a Jedi Master) vs Jedi Padawan who you've already beaten up on once.