Favourite EU Character

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who is your favourite EU character

Mara Jade
10%
Corran Horn
3%
Jacen/Jaina/Anakin Solo
3%
Kyp Durron
1%
Admiral Thrawn
34%
Revan/Darth Revan
14%
HK-47
23%
Quinlan Vos
No votes
Aayla Secura
1%
Other
12%

Total votes: 104

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Where is Tom Phaanan? Seriously I need t vote for a guy who is half cyberntic but all about the love. That and he has the best sense of humor this side of HK-47.
True. He also had the best death scene in all of the EU. It actually got me teary-eyed when I first read it, and still manages to impact on subsequent readings.
Faqa wrote:The first X-wing books are good. Until they devolve into "Rogue Squadron does the impossible. Repeat ad-nauseum.". Corran's fun, but wanked-out.
Well what can I say...I love X-wing fights. :D Plus I give it props for relegating Leia and Luke to mere cameos, with Han not even in sight. Needed more Lando though.

But then, all of the EU needs more Lando. :wink:

As for Corran, meh. I really rather liked his portrayal in I, Jedi for one. But then I'm pretty oblivious to the whole "Mary/Gary Stu" thing, probably because whenever I get off my butt and do some writing I'll be doing plenty of it myself. :D
Faqa wrote:Personally, I prefer Alliston's take on X-Wing. It's the A-Team in Spaaaaaaaaace..... :P . Seriously, I expected Wedge to pull out a huge cigar several times in Wraith Squadron......
Yeah, that was an awesome and amusing series. And, as noted above, had pretty much the best dramatic moment out of the EU I've read. Sorry, Anakin biting it in Star by Star was good, but not the same level as Phannan in Iron Fist.
Faqa wrote:Seriously, Kyp Durron is a wanked-out piece of shit. His only useful role was being Luke's foil in the NJO.
They would've done better to leave him dead. Or, failing that, to at least suffer some consequences for his deeds. Instead it seems that all is forgiven with him.

Say what you will about Stackpole, but at least he introduced the fact that not all of the galaxy is "just fine" with Kyp Durron.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

RogueIce wrote:Say what you will about Stackpole, but at least he introduced the fact that not all of the galaxy is "just fine" with Kyp Durron.
Yeah, but he also drastically altered the character... but I never liked Kyp Durron anyway, so what do I care? Corran Horn is a better character, that much is certain. And Stackpole is a better writer than KJA. Although the fact he wrote Han out of Dark Tide 1 and 2 almost entirely really pissed me off. We didn't get to see much of his character at all.

Even if he lost Chewie, I think Han would go out seeking fucking revenge over turning into some whiney, neglectful, drunk bitch. Maybe that's just me, though.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:*snip pic*

You can't tell me that's not cool. Well, you can, but I won't listen!
While yes, Revan is cool to some degree, he and the Exhile are the ultimate fanboy Gary Stues, also as mentioned, Revan should have a red lightsaber, and if KotOR2 is anything to go by he should have a purple off-hand lightsaber.

This is why HK-47 is awesome.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

General Schatten wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:*snip pic*

You can't tell me that's not cool. Well, you can, but I won't listen!
While yes, Revan is cool to some degree, he and the Exhile are the ultimate fanboy Gary Stues, also as mentioned, Revan should have a red lightsaber, and if KotOR2 is anything to go by he should have a purple off-hand lightsaber.

This is why HK-47 is awesome.
Quoted for truth. You're right of course, HK-47 is the awesome. Heh, "You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere." is just a great line. Then again, most of his lines are.

"Translation: 98% probability that members of the miniature organic's tribe are being held by Sand People, master. Doubtless he wishes assistance. [There is also a] 2% probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."

Hehe... I need to play that game again.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Along with 'Random Cruelty', I also like "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Tom Phanan/Face Loran combo. Those guys were genuinely hilarious. Plus, the Wraith Squadron books were damn good.
Honorable mention to the EU character that didn't exist (but provided much amusement regarless): Lieutenant Kettch, Ewok pilot! :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:You can't tell me that's not cool. Well, you can, but I won't listen!
I can tell you it's cool, but you need to tell me where I can find that picture.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Stofsk wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:You can't tell me that's not cool. Well, you can, but I won't listen!
I can tell you it's cool, but you need to tell me where I can find that picture.
It's from the comic Shadows and Light, featured in Star Wars Tales issue #23, I believe.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Batman wrote:Tom Phanan/Face Loran combo. Those guys were genuinely hilarious. Plus, the Wraith Squadron books were damn good.
Honorable mention to the EU character that didn't exist (but provided much amusement regarless): Lieutenant Kettch, Ewok pilot! :D
The funny thing is that entire series gives you a whole bunch of great characters, even the ones who weren't fleshed out enough before their death's seemed more three dimensional than most EU characters. I'd honestly rate Grinder, Myn Donos, Gara Petothel/Lara Notsil, Piggy, and Runt (possibly even Kell Tainer) above Kyp, Corran, Ayala and all three Solo's.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

I always liked Corran Horn. He always seemed to me as the Jedi that would be the easiest to become if possible. He cant levitate rocks and such but he has a deep connection with the force.
Heck my screen name for 7 years has been a tribute to him CORSECR9 good times good times French I, Jedi

good times good times
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Spartan
Jedi Knight

Post by Spartan »

What the?

No, Kyle Katarn mention? Ya heretics... Name another EU character that had '3' Games, as well as several books and comics dedicated to them. That's right no one. Kyle was the Jedi academy's war-master, and has beaten more dark jedi / sith than any one short of Luke himself. When your talking about powerful jedi in Post ROTJ era there Luke and Kyle, the rest don't even rate. And yet Kyle doesn't even rate an honorable mention...that's just wrong.
"The enemy outnumbers us a paltry three to one. Good odds for any Greek...."

"Spartans. Ready your breakfast and eat hearty--For tonight we dine in hell!" ~ King Leonidas of Sparta.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Anyone with me on Kanos? Have to admit, I chose him (alone) because he doesn't seem to have the wank issues that've allegedly made Kyp Durron a problem (as stated in the thread), he's got no overt Force usage in his canon appearances*, and his degree of relevance to the EU/canon seems... a bit just right. (If that weren't a concern, I'd have picked Darth Nihilus. :P)

Did love Allston's writing though, especially Starfighters of Adumar (a book I knew from the first reading that I would always consider positive)... and I'd totally forgotten about the Ewok(s)!

* A bit iffy.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

You're all going to shoot me but I rather like Anakin Solo. On the other hand, I also like Corren Horn and most of the X-wing and NJO series, so my opinion is about as usful as dog shit.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Spartan wrote:What the?

No, Kyle Katarn mention? Ya heretics... Name another EU character that had '3' Games, as well as several books and comics dedicated to them. That's right no one. Kyle was the Jedi academy's war-master, and has beaten more dark jedi / sith than any one short of Luke himself. When your talking about powerful jedi in Post ROTJ era there Luke and Kyle, the rest don't even rate. And yet Kyle doesn't even rate an honorable mention...that's just wrong.
Originally, Kyle was going to be included on the list, but I was limited to ten options, so I trimmed away the options that I thought people were least likely to vote for. Now that I think about it, I probably should have left Kyle on the list. I don't like him over-much myself, but the Jedi Knight games were fun. Jedi Academy was the most enjoyable to play, though. Whoopin Kyle's ass was quite satisfactory, in the dark-side ending.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

How anyone could vote for Corran Horn is beyond me. He may have "a deep connection to the Force," that is true enough. This is a consequence of him having a deep connection to anything that easier facilitates him being dear god, so fucking awesome! At everything he does. All the time. Except when he's supposed to learn a lesson in order to grow more awesome. Seriously, the guy is a plaster saint, limited edition mint condition. Comes with retractable lightsaber in a hue we technical people refer to as "sperm white."

So I voted Revan, for much the same reasons. The simple fact is that Revan never tries to be cool, but just effortlessly is, particularly when you play KotOR as a female. If I would have my choice, of course, my pick would be Ton Phanan, simply because he was a good character who was solidly written to consistently good effect. You know, sorta everything Corran wasn't.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Revan for me.

Even though I almost picked Aayla Secura for the sole reason of her being godawesomely hot.

/Joel - sexist pig
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ton Phanan owns.
JADAFETWA
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Really, Tom Phanan didn't even occur to me. I voted HK-47 then after reading everyone else's realized that Tom Phanan was such a real character, and i will definitely agree that his death was more realistic and powerful than any other death.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Voted Thrawn. The Empire gets a commander who can take suggestions from his subordinates and knows when to retreat, a real commander instead of a cartoon villain, and suddenly starts kicking ass.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I always tought of Thrawn and Pellaeon as being an evil Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, the way the genius took the tiniest thread of evidence and wove an entire scheme from it while using his stodgy partner as a sounding board for ideas. The use of character types from outside science fiction was pretty clever. I didn't much care for the Thrawn books, but aside from the early Han Solo books, they are about the best ones and Thrawn is a major reason for that.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Elfdart wrote:I always tought of Thrawn and Pellaeon as being an evil Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, the way the genius took the tiniest thread of evidence and wove an entire scheme from it while using his stodgy partner as a sounding board for ideas.
Yeah, that's also how I've thought about the duo for some time (and if I can ever find the effort to finish The Best of Both Worlds and should the two characters meet, I'd love to have Q make a smug Sherlockian reference towards Pellaeon).
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Agree that the Allston characters are particularly good (especially Janson, though he's not technically an EU character). I also have to confess a fondness for Talon Karrde.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

My favourite is Grand Admiral Teshik, but on that list, I'll go with HK-47, who proves once again that droids can be far more interesting than some fleshy characters.
Truth fears no trial.
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

Anguirus wrote:I also have to confess a fondness for Talon Karrde.
Ah, yes, thank you for reminding me. The man is/was a sophisticated smuggler gentleman, with a liking for puns. How can you not like him?
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I have to side with the KOTOR games Revan and Exile.

I have just re-installed them both again and I cant help but like it even if I know the ending.

Its pretty likely most people will like Revan because you literally ARE the character and can choose your own path which means you do what you like. For me KOTOR had a much better premise than the majority of the EU you get after the movies. HK-47 makes it worthwhile for both games.

Anakin Solo struck me as being a pretty good EU character during the final parts of the NJO since hes one of the few Jedi who seem to be actually DOING something like Revan did rather than sit around debating morality.

Kyp - This character just bugged me instantly. Although the character gets somewhat more bearable when being written by competent authors a.k.a Rebel Dream/ Dawn.

Corran - I can say I liked this character in the X-Wing books but I understand why most would be annoyed at him.

Kyle Katarn - Within the games I like Kyle although I find him somewhat annoying for someone who got his power through a quick fix.
Writing him into book EU as a one shot background character annoys me exceptionally due to his importance in the games and the academy which should technically award him a lead role in any book with Jedi in it. Nevermind that writing a game character into a book is a bad idea unless you intend to make sure you explain just how much of the game is valid.