Debating fool, need Ep. 3 screencaps

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Debating fool, need Ep. 3 screencaps

Post by Pcm979 »

Someone on another board doesn't believe that Obi cut Ani's legs off and won't take quotes from the book as an answer. Can someone send me a screencap of Ani's fiery stumps please?
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Re: Debating fool, need Ep. 3 screencaps

Post by Stravo »

Pcm979 wrote:Someone on another board doesn't believe that Obi cut Ani's legs off and won't take quotes from the book as an answer. Can someone send me a screencap of Ani's fiery stumps please?
Did he fucking SEE The movie for fuck's sake?!?!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Shitty quality, sorry.

They alright?
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Stravo wrote:Did he fucking SEE The movie for fuck's sake?!?!
He has an iron-cast conviction that it would be 'impossible' for Obi to cut off 3 of Ani's limbs at once, and stubbornly maintains that Palpy had them amputated.

Manus: I think the second and third pics are worth a shot, but JIC does anyone have clearer pics?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Zig.

If he won't accept that he just needs a cockslap.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Pcm979 wrote:
Stravo wrote:Did he fucking SEE The movie for fuck's sake?!?!
He has an iron-cast conviction that it would be 'impossible' for Obi to cut off 3 of Ani's limbs at once, and stubbornly maintains that Palpy had them amputated.

Manus: I think the second and third pics are worth a shot, but JIC does anyone have clearer pics?
Christ what would that prove? So if Anakin still had his legs why didn't he get up? If he had his legs why didn't he continue the fight, why did he allow himself to go on fire? Why was he crawling up using justy one arm? Why was he slipping down the slope? How about Anakin being brought to the Medical facility in the life support pod, he clearly has no legs in that scene. Did Palpatine cut his legs off in the shuttle on the way over?! This is fucking absurd. Sorry, that just had to be one of the dumbest assertions I've heard since the infamous all humans are born with metal implants in their spines bullshit from Darkstar.

gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Post by gizmojumpjet »

I could have sworn I'd furled some great pages of screenshots, but now I can't seem to find them.

Sorry I don't have any screen caps, but here is a piece of what appears to be some concept art; Vader's legs are clearly absent. If he insists Palpatine cut them off, and he's actually seen the film, well, you're probably pissing up a rope with this poor deluded fool.

Wikipedia's article on Vader clearly states that Obi Wan cut off Vedar's legs and arm. Not that one should trust everything one reads on Wikipedia, but this part's certainly accurate.
Pcm979 wrote:He has an iron-cast conviction that it would be 'impossible' for Obi to cut off 3 of Ani's limbs at once, and stubbornly maintains that Palpy had them amputated.
Um, don't we see Jedi do lots of impossible things?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Stravo wrote: How about Anakin being brought to the Medical facility in the life support pod, he clearly has no legs in that scene. Did Palpatine cut his legs off in the shuttle on the way over?!
Actually, Anakin's lower body is almost entirely in shadow in that scene. It's impossible to tell (from that scene alone) whether he has legs or not.

Not that supports his position, mind.

IIRC, haven't there been several mentions in pre-RotS EU? Of course, if he's not accepting quotes from the novel itself, the EU won't help.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Thanks to all. I don't seriously expect to penetrate his wall of Dumbass, but I intend to go down fighting.

Just for your amusement, here are some choice quotes:
It's true when they take him to get medical help they replace his legs and left arm with mechanical ones but that doesn't mean they were cut off, it could just mean that they were to far gone to save or posed to great a risk of infection.
Like I said before Obi would had to have done two slashes or if he did one change the direction of it midslash. Neither happened. Can't go from left arm to left leg then to right leg the way he slashed, it is humanly possible even for a Jedi of Obi's sword skills.

If he was so cut up how come the scene where they showed him catching on fire did not show severed legs, hmmmm?
Sparky Prime (Not me) wrote: They showed that his legs were severed in that scene. The fire started right where his legs had been severed, just above the knee.
And Santa runs a bordello just outside of Vegas right?
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Well I guess what we need is a DVD copy so we can give him frame by frame pics of the amputations
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Either he's blind, or he doesn't understand that a downward curved swipe would be enough to amputate the left arm and both legs. It's not the same thing as dueling with metal swords.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Pcm979 wrote:
Sparky Prime (Not me) wrote: They showed that his legs were severed in that scene. The fire started right where his legs had been severed, just above the knee.
And Santa runs a bordello just outside of Vegas right?
I...can't even understand this one.
Like I said before Obi would had to have done two slashes or if he did one change the direction of it midslash. Neither happened. Can't go from left arm to left leg then to right leg the way he slashed, it is humanly possible even for a Jedi of Obi's sword skills.
He DID do two slashes!
Does this guy have a copy of it? Because the slicing happens so quickly it's amazaingly difficult to try and figure out specifically how Obi does it without going frame-by-frame. And ask him what the hell he means by "the way he slashed".
Isolder74 wrote:Well I guess what we need is a DVD copy so we can give him frame by frame pics of the amputations
I managed to get a decent shot of one of the amputations:

For some reason Obi's saber makes a big-ass flash for the other two cuts, obscuring them.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I could be wrong but I distinctly remember that there is a flash by the lava as his limbs roll into the magma. Anyone get a screen cap of that, it may be enough to shut his ass up. Also good screen cap on the slicing.

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Did he not notice Anakin receiving mechanical legs when the med droids were working on him? What a dumb fucker.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Dalton wrote:Did he not notice Anakin receiving mechanical legs when the med droids were working on him? What a dumb fucker.
He's saying they were amputated for infection reasons at the facility itself. It is fucking clear as day in the shot when he slid down the embankment and is missing his legs but this asstard is taking advangateg of the fact that there are no official images out about this and teh DVD is still months away. I remember similar dishonest bullshit being claimed when AOTC and TPM were out and then shockingly when the DVD's came out these stupid ass claims vanished.

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Stravo wrote:I could be wrong but I distinctly remember that there is a flash by the lava as his limbs roll into the magma. Anyone get a screen cap of that, it may be enough to shut his ass up. Also good screen cap on the slicing.
I couldn't see any. There's a splash in the lava as Anakin comes to a stop, but it's not caused by anything landing in it.
It's very hard to tell where his limbs go; at least one of his legs goes flying over Obi's head, but his over leg and arm seem to fall down with him, but are absent in the next shot.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Dalton wrote:Did he not notice Anakin receiving mechanical legs when the med droids were working on him? What a dumb fucker.
Moron wrote:It's true when they take him to get medical help they replace his legs and left arm with mechanical ones but that doesn't mean they were cut off, it could just mean that they were to far gone to save or posed to great a risk of infection.
He was too blind to see that Obi-Wan had cut off Anakin's legs.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I gotta confess, I thought Anakin's legs were just ruined by the fires of Mustafar and lava-proximity. did seem a bit odd to me that they'd go like that, though.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Wootage! I'll use those if he peeps again tomorrow.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

I just went over the entire scene, which I was lucky enough to have been capturing on my DVR when Lucas was given his AFI life achievement award.
Anakin is actually in the process of twirling as he jumps. You can clearly see this as his lightsaber hand is on the right side of the screen as opposed to the left where he started out.

Obi-Wan first gets Anakin's arm while he's still upside down; you can see it flying off with sparks. As Anakin's legs come down into a near-horizontal position (facing away from Obi-Wan) Obi-Wan is able to swipe those, too, within the same downward stoke. You can see them come off dead center, right in front of the camera.

I'm sorry that I can't procure screencaps, but I hope that helps.

Oh, and Anakin's scream while in the air was very Hayden-like.

EDIT: Too late. :( It seems more like Obi-Wan made a swing a little more complex than a downward slash. It was an arc, no doubt.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

one possiblity is provide unedited material from shooting that scene and notice that Hayden is wearing wierd blue socks and gloves (plus that the "burned annie" make up doesn't extend all the way to his hands and/or feet).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Added a frame to the slashing sequence:

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/4551/slash4hx.jpg