Actors/Actresses who regretted being in SW?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Actors/Actresses who regretted being in SW?

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

As I recall, Alec Guiness once told a child to never watch Star Wars again, or say "May the Force be with you", or something like that after the kid asked for an autograph and only knew him from Star Wars.

Does anyone know of any actors or actresses who have expressed unhappiness with having being in Star Wars, or being identified only with Star Wars?
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I heard that Liam Neeson didn't want to be a part of the prequels after TPM, which was why he only had a single VO line in AOTC, and didn't show up at all in ROTS.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

IIRC Hugh Quarshie and Ralph Brown in TPM.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Harrison Ford wanted his character killed off at the end of ESB.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Kurgan wrote:Harrison Ford wanted his character killed off at the end of ESB.
Wasn't it ROTJ?
As I recall, Alec Guiness once told a child to never watch Star Wars again, or say "May the Force be with you", or something like that after the kid asked for an autograph and only knew him from Star Wars.

Does anyone know of any actors or actresses who have expressed unhappiness with having being in Star Wars, or being identified only with Star Wars?
Why is this a sign of unhappiness? One of the trivia books about Star Wars which carried this account stated that Alec said this when he heard that the boy had went to ANH 20 times since its opening.

Also, what does one mean by unhappiness? Mark Hamill has made comments before about how his ass was essentially owned by George Lucas.....
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Mark Hamill is a big Star Wars fan. I recently read an interview with him in Stars and Stripes and he loves the saga.

Alec Guinness, on the other hand, trashed all his Star Wars fan mail without ever reading it and hated being associated with Star Wars (he was also a prick, but whatever).
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Jim Raynor wrote:I heard that Liam Neeson didn't want to be a part of the prequels after TPM, which was why he only had a single VO line in AOTC, and didn't show up at all in ROTS.
What the... What's this VO line? When is it heard?
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Karza wrote:What the... What's this VO line? When is it heard?
At Yoda's meditation room just after Anakin slaughtered those Tusken Raiders. "Anakin. Nooo!!!" But I thought this was an unused Liam Neeson line from Phantom Menace that they tacked onto the soundtrack?

Post 500! Yes!
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

Okay for Alec he had done some amazing rolls before SW that certainly made him a respected stage and screen legend. Then to have future generation's only remember him from SW, I can understand why the guy would be upset.

Plus SW came on later in his life when he just wanted to get away from it all with his wife and devote himself to his religion. According to his friends on a biography that I saw a month or two ago.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Natalie Portman doesn't, in my opinion, look very comfortable when acting on a blue screen, especially when there's a lack of props.
HemlockGrey wrote:Mark Hamill is a big Star Wars fan. I recently read an interview with him in Stars and Stripes and he loves the saga.
That contradicts an interview on a morning show (e.g. Today, Good Morning America) (on May 19th, I'm certain) in which he states that he was simply an actor doing his job and has a comparitively little interest in the series, or something to that effect.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Really? He sounded like a fan in the Stars and Stripes interview.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

HemlockGrey wrote:Really? He sounded like a fan in the Stars and Stripes interview.
Should be the corresponding article. I may have confused "interest" for "knowledge" when making the above post.
Il Saggiatore
Padawan Learner

Post by Il Saggiatore »

I am surprised that nobody mentioned Carrie Fisher.
Or is it a urban legend that she was not very happy of being associated only with Star Wars?

"This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me!" - Bender (Futurama)

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" - Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes)

"It's all about context!" - Vince Noir (The Mighty Boosh)
MrAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by MrAnderson »

Il Saggiatore wrote:I am surprised that nobody mentioned Carrie Fisher.
Or is it a urban legend that she was not very happy of being associated only with Star Wars?
Other than a bit role in "When Harry Met Sally" she really has had a nobody career. If Carrie wasnt known for SW then she wouldnt be known at all.
That is the sound of inevitability.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

MrAnderson wrote:
Other than a bit role in "When Harry Met Sally" she really has had a nobody career. If Carrie wasnt known for SW then she wouldnt be known at all.
(a) she was never going to come close to her mother's career in acting

(b) I'll always love her moments with a rocket launcher and assault rifle in The Blues Brothers!
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Chmee wrote:
MrAnderson wrote:
(a) she was never going to come close to her mother's career in acting

(b) I'll always love her moments with a rocket launcher and assault rifle in The Blues Brothers!
Don't forget her flamethrower.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Hasn't Fisher been having a rather successful career as a writer these days?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Wasn't Ewan McGregor reported as getting pissed off with Star Wars by the end of Episode III? I can't point to any articles, it's just something my friend, who's an avid reader of the various film mags and the like was mentioning to me.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Jim Raynor wrote:I heard that Liam Neeson didn't want to be a part of the prequels after TPM, which was why he only had a single VO line in AOTC, and didn't show up at all in ROTS.
I was under the impression his dislike of it came from all the blue/green screen work he'd been having to do. Both for TPM and other movies.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Portman should regret being in Star Wars, what with her not being a fan and being unable to get into the "reality" of the fiction, that is to say, taking her role seriously. (According to an interview with Hayden Christensen)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Which interview was this?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I actually also recall a report from the set during filming of AotC that Hayden once threw sort of a fit because of Portman's difficulting taking things seriously.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I think Carrie Fisher had other things to worry about when she was shooting Star Wars, like, a runaway drug addiction. If she does have bad memories, I'd guess it has more to do with her drug problems than with Star Wars.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Hasn't Fisher been having a rather successful career as a writer these days?
She did write a sucessful book that was turned into a movie.

Plus I think Lucas has had her work on some of the dialog in the prequels.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stofsk wrote:Which interview was this?
I don't remember, but I read it myself. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.