Fundies on a Natural Selection server

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Fundies on a Natural Selection server

Post by Shinova »

I was on a Natural Selection (Half-Life mod) server online and believe it or not, there were guys spamming messages like:

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY"

or

"SOME SAY HITLER WAS THE SECOND CHRIST"

"JESUS IS MY SAVIOR"

"ALL HAIL JESUS, THE REST OF YOU ARE FAGS"

and my favorite one:

"JESUS HATES JETPACKERS" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It was one of the weirdest experiences I've had so far. Playing on a NS server with Christian fundies (one guy even started spewing Islamic fundie stuff for a while). :lol:
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You do realise that they were probably just normal players bullshitting, right? That happens a lot.

Someone will say something in jest, and then several others join in and escalate in message content.

Basically: They weren't fundamentalists.
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2003-04-17 03:34am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:You do realise that they were probably just normal players bullshitting, right? That happens a lot.
Could be. But doesn't matter. It was still as weird and funny as hell. :mrgreen:
What's her bust size!?

Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Hehehe, yeah, I saw some guys like that on an AvP2 server... :lol:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Aliens are overpowered

In the beggining, you can get hit by a skulk rush and its all over

Not to mention anything above a skulk is practically immortal
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Hamel wrote:Aliens are overpowered

In the beggining, you can get hit by a skulk rush and its all over

Not to mention anything above a skulk is practically immortal
On public servers infested with noobs and CS rejects, sure.

In clan matches and private servers, marines own aliens.

If you're getting owned by alien rushes, sorry, but your marine team is either not skilled or not working as a team. In the beginning of a game, it only takes 8 LMG bullets to kill a skulk, 4 pistol bullets, or three swipes with the knife. It's only when the aliens get 3 Defense Chambers up that things start getting nasty for the marines. Even then, a good commander will start getting things like motion tracking and weapon upgrades. Once marines have motion tracking, ambushes are nearly impossible. Rushing the base becomes suicide as a skulk.

As for higher forms being immortal, that's ridiculous. Obviously a single, unupgraded marine doesn't stand a chance against a 2 hive Fade with 3 movement (adrenaline) and 3 defense (carapace), but guess what, you're not supposed to go up against one alone. The LMG does damage it, but a single LMG vs. a Fade with carapace or regeneration (and usually fades hang around D-chambers) won't do enough damage by itself to kill the Fade. However, add in, say, some turrets, a few more marines, a shotgun, and you can kill a Fade, provided you don't just let it run off to heal.

Here's a few tips:

-Stay in a group. Don't jump around and dodge like a maniac while doing so. Strafing around (especially when the enemy is at long range) only serves to reduce the overall firepower of your team, since you run through the firing lanes of the other marines. Bullets can't hit the enemy if they are stuck in your back.
-Do what the commander says, when the commander says. You can make suggestions, but always respect the chain of command.
-Don't hump the armory all the time. You'll rarely use 300 LMG bullets or 40 pistol bullets, and the time you spend humping the armory is time you're not defending a position or killing aliens.
-If a phase gate is getting attacked, phase there ASAP. Jump right after you phase, so that if you get hit you fly away from the aliens rather than act as a free lunch.
-Short, controlled bursts. Sure, accuracy isn't a problem, but ammo is. Wild firing tends to just waste ammo, and the muzzle flare impedes your vision.
-Secure resource nodes for your team, deny them to the aliens. It's a simple strategy, but one that most newbies tend to forget in the heat of a fragfest. There are multiple ways to deny aliens resource nodes. Knife any alien RT you happen across (dangerous if alone, or even with a squad, since you give away your position, but if you're careful, it's fine). Welders work as well. Trick is, try not to waste ammo, you'll need it for taking down aliens or offense chambers. Alternatively, have the commander build siege cannons within range of the resource towers, then scan or have a marine look at the towers for total destruction. This is a very good solution, since the Aliens can't just claim towers just outside of a fortified position, and prevents them from building Defense chambers near that position as well. It doesn't matter if the aliens have two hives if they only have 2-4 resource towers (unless there's only 3-4 aliens). Meanwhile, if the marine economy is better than the alien's economy, they can get HA, HMG, GL, JP, armor upgrades, weapon upgrades, and so on.

The biggest problem with the game right now is that quite often there are nasty stalemates that can happen when the aliens have two hives and the marines have one (or none, even). In NS_Nancy, if the marines take and hold the hive at Subspace, expect the game to either end very quickly in favor of the marines, or drag on for at least another thirty or fourty minutes, MINIMUM. Assuming the server doesn't crash, the marines can win, holding just one resource tower, even though the aliens may have royally kicked marine ass and control 95% of the map.

What you're talking about is the 90% newb phenomenon on public servers. If a team is 90% newb, aliens will probably win, and here's why.

Marines: 1 player takes the command chair. If this is a newb, the marines are fucked already. Regardless, the one experienced player will try to help the marines out and suggest objectives and build orders. Assuming the newbs listen, they might get up some IPs and maybe an armory by the time the skulk rush hits. All too commonly though, 7 of the remaining 9 people sit and watch (or run off to Rambo) while 2 people try to build the IPs and Armory. Because of this, everything takes longer to build, so the builders are helpless for longer than they should be. When the aliens come, they are in no position to open fire. The newbs, no knowing which direction the aliens will be coming into base from, are distracted. When the aliens rush, they panic, jump around, and fire a long burst, hitting little more than the walls or each other. As they reload, they die. Some skulks are bound to get pasted, but in all 4 or so should survive. Enough to eat the IPs and kill the command chair/commander. Game over.

Aliens: 1 player leads the rest of the team to the marine base. A newbie does not need to be terribly bright to figure out how to follow someone, and once they've been led by the nose once, they can do it again. They may not be terribly proficient gamers, but let's do be honest, as a skulk, you run up to someone and bite them. It's not as hard as hitting a moving target with a LMG once you're in range. Still, some are bound to get killed in the initial rush, but in the marines are mostly newbs as well, it's hardly going to matter. Even a veteran player is going to be hard-pressed to kill any more than 5 skulks without running out of ammo and getting chomped himself, and ideally you'd want the most experienced player as the commander. Plus, while marines can get in each other's way, such is not true for skulks. Obviously you can't bite through a buddy, but skulks rarely get in each other's way in the middle of combat, if ever.

Playing as marines requires that one learns the art of teamwork. Aliens require teamwork as well, but it's usually much easier to learn alien teamwork than marine teamwork. Part of it, I think, has to do with the shift of responsibility. With marines, all Res goes to the commander, which he then doles out in the form of buildings, upgrades, and equipment. Aliens are responsible for getting their own upgrades (after the gorge has made them available, that is). So when a marine dies, losing his JP and shotgun, he'll stay around in base, whining for the commander to drop him new equipment and refusing to do a damn thing until he gets it. An alien that dies as a fade or lerk without the res to go back has to suck it up and tough it out as a skulk for a while. The ex-CS players that try NS understand that model better than the marine model, and thus adapt to it better. They learn all the tricks for staying alive at all costs. Regeneration, D-Chambers, Redemption, Umbra, etc. Marine newbs don't even seem to understand that there is a resource meter on the top of their screen, and that a commander can't drop a HA/HMG/Welder value meal with only 20 res.

But I ramble.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Another suggestion for marine players.. LOOK UP!

It's hard to believe I catch as many people as I do this long after the mod's been released just by hanging around above a door and dropping on them when they come through.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Another thing I learned:

Do not concentrate those mines. Spread them out. One fade acid rocket can take out your carefully placed mines in one shot.
What's her bust size!?

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Hotfoot wrote:
But I ramble.
No, that was quite educational

I tip my hat to you ~~~ BADABING
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Hamel wrote:No, that was quite educational

I tip my hat to you ~~~ BADABING
I do what I can. There are some more informative tips on the Natural Selection forums. Some of the better ones are webbed.

Also, with NS 1.1 coming out, soon some of the finer points of the game will change.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

SylasGaunt wrote:Another suggestion for marine players.. LOOK UP!

It's hard to believe I catch as many people as I do this long after the mod's been released just by hanging around above a door and dropping on them when they come through.
In NS_Nancy, I love going to Mess Hall as a skulk, putting my spray on the floor, then going right above the door. Marines come in, look down at the spray, and CHOMP! Death from above! :D
The Realm of Confusion
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Fundies playing a game called "Natural Selection"? Does... not... compute... *crackle, fizz*
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Hotfoot wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:Another suggestion for marine players.. LOOK UP!

In NS_Nancy, I love going to Mess Hall as a skulk, putting my spray on the floor, then going right above the door. Marines come in, look down at the spray, and CHOMP! Death from above! :D
W00tx0r, d00d! Works for me!
Image Image
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Damn, i did not see this thread until just now o.o;;
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(