Medieval: Total War

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Medieval: Total War

Post by HemlockGrey »

Share your war stories, victories, and crushing defeats.

Personally, one of the happiest gaming moments of my life is looking at a map covered entirely in purple.

Rome lives! Byzantium forever!
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

These two are part of a 15-part series of screenshots I used to explain to my friend why M:TW > WC3.

http://jedineophyte.tripod.com/melee.jpg.txt

http://jedineophyte.tripod.com/french.jpg.txt

Stopping it from force formatting - Keev.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

My favorite game was slowly but surely beating my way through the Northern Part of the map as the Danes, on Great Achievements. Trading networks own MTW :)
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

It's a pretty good game but, after playing EU2, the strategic map feels so small. I typically played the Italians and used my ubertrade provinces to make tons of cash to build a superadvanced army...then stupidly attacked the Pope. The Papal State revolts ruined that game for me.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Ah, when playing Spain, I had the misfortune to be excommunicated, causing dozens of uprisings in all my 100% Catholic provinces...which meant that each turn 90% of my holdings were in rebellion. Of course, a quick amphibious strike into Rome seized the Pope and ended that little disturbance.

I'm rather surprised it runs at all on my crappy PII 350, to tell the truth.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I played Shogun:TW. It was good, (legal, since someone gave it to me, minus CD-key- for some reason people always lose their cd keys). Too bad I couldn't play multiplayer- then again it's moot when you have a 26.4k connection. Then again, HW:C ran pretty well on that connection.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

I usually hear of Italian players keeping a large force of knights handy near the Papal State provinces and, as soon as the Pope appears, heading straight for him in tactical. If you find yourself conquering Italy, keep a huge amount (like 20) assassins in Naples or Tuscany so you can send them quickly to get the Pope no matter what province he spawns in.

Byzantines and their Orthodoxy have all the fun! :D

If you want a really fun game, start it as a random guy in the earliest period and type ".conan." without the quotes. :D
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Ah, yes; I always kept 500 Pikemen and 500 Royal Knights in Rome, no matter what, so I could hit the pope whenever he appeared.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:Ah, yes; I always kept 500 Pikemen and 500 Royal Knights in Rome, no matter what, so I could hit the pope whenever he appeared.
That dog. I was playing as the Byzantines, and he kept coming back, year after year, tying up large armies which I desperately need elsewhere, so I finally said "fuck it" and let him have Rome. Then I allowed him the honor of being the last European monarch to meet the chopping block.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Hehe, kill the pope...

I hate catholisim. Why did my ancestors have to convert? Argh..

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, M:TW ran like a one legged millipede on my computer, so I could play the strategic game, but not the tactical one AT ALL (not even in 640x480 with minimal everything).

And this was on a P3-866 with 512mb RAM and a GeForce4. Highly disappointing as I loved Shogun. Really, really, really loved Shogun.

I might try reinstalling (I removed it in disgust in little over a week) and see if it likes me better now. But if not there could well be a copy up for grabs if someone wants it.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

That's bizzare. I can run the tactical fine on my PII, as long as there are fewer than 2K units and the graphics are set to minimum.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:Ah, yes; I always kept 500 Pikemen and 500 Royal Knights in Rome, no matter what, so I could hit the pope whenever he appeared.
That dog. I was playing as the Byzantines, and he kept coming back, year after year, tying up large armies which I desperately need elsewhere, so I finally said "fuck it" and let him have Rome. Then I allowed him the honor of being the last European monarch to meet the chopping block.
I tried to do that but he kept attacking me!

In one Byzantine game I gave him hell with 7 Orthodox priests in Rome, converting away. God I love tormenting that stupid Pope.

"Hello, Patriarch, we're from the Emperor and we'd like our Exarchate back. Now."

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The other thing I dislike is - the lack of movies!

Where are my movies of my ninjas (well assassins) doing their dirty work...

What about a short movie of your princess making advances and seeing whether or not she is turned down?

I mean cmon, it was great in the first one. But now...
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

As a medieval historian, I'm insanely addicted to it, its sad really......

Anyway , my fave faction is Spain, I can war on the infidels to my hearts contentment and no one ever bothers me, hell the Papacy gives me dough half the time :D In my last game it devolved down to me(Spain) , one province of Italians in Genoa, and The Byzantines for the last 180 turns.......made the 100 Years War look like a childrens picnic, I think Bavaria and Austria changed hands like ten times......it was nuts.

I never EVER, take Rome, I just leave the Pope to stir in his own little Kingdom on the coast , surrounded by six to eight fully tooled defensive Armies led by my middling Princes.....take that nun fucker!!
BotM