Chess

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Chess

Post by Raptor 597 »

Does anyone here play it alot besides me? I might be interested in starting a small group to play aganist each other if we have any 1100 or up players.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I'm not a regular player but I'd love to play more.
Last edited by Stormbringer on 2003-04-11 08:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Chess? I LOVE CHESS, probably because it is the only game where I can kick almost anyones ass, aslong as I am black.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well I have chessmaster 6000.

But what system would we be using for MP?

I'm interested as I need some more practice.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I suck at it but I know the rules.

Addition: I haven't played chess in years, no matter what the former president of the anime club says. Even so I could kick his ass with one rook tied behind my back.
Last edited by Raxmei on 2003-04-11 09:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

You have seen me play
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ignorant twit
with no dick

Post by Ignorant twit »

Blitz, Lightening, or FIDE norm?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I play. Haven't played in over 2 years, though.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

We could use http://www.flyordie.com/ as a MP site because one of the rooms are often empty and it's 20 minutes a side so no rusg to move. There is also another (4 mb download) which is quite good and even has some of the lower rated Grandmaster's online.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I'm not rated, and I haven't played for a couple years, but I'd be willing to play once I come back from summer hols. That'll give me time to read up and relearn some of my openings (somehow I doubt Byrd's will hold up among this crowd, though it worked back in HS).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Byrd's opening is pretty good but I choose the English and odd variations.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

My favorite was when I played a best-out-of-three series for a school tournament. I drew white, opened with Byrd's first game. Won that. My opponent played some freaky King's Rook's Pawn opening and won the second one. I opened the third one with the mirrored Byrd's (Scottish?) opening, which really threw him off. I won that one on time because he had no idea how to respond.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

The Scottish Game is old but very ferocious with the knighrs. When I sometimes plan my e4 game I accidently use the Scottish and I'm up a rook in a few moves. I look how Kasparov using the Scottish at a tournament and defeated virtually everyone because they thought the Scottsh was a relic.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I LOVE CHESS, I completely suck at it, but I love the game.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Haven't tried it for months. Know any freeware singleplayer downloadable chess games that aren't 404?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Review games such as: www.chessgames.com or websites to play games?
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I prefer Pogo myself, anyone want to start an SD.Net tourney?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan