The Five-... Okay, Six Forms of Final Fantasy

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

anarchistbunny wrote:I'm wondering, was their anything skill wize that was unique in FF4?

I know thier was some new abilities like kick and maybe throw, but besides a 5 member team, was their anything new for the whole team?
Actually, at the time, I think that the whole character individuality thing was new. FF1-3 all involve relatively customizable characters.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Nope, they did that in two. Errr, do you mean classes or characters?
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Actually the ATB battle system was the newest and biggest thing in FF4(seriously)

All the other classes and skills were done in FF1-3.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Ghost Rider wrote:Actually the ATB battle system was the newest and biggest thing in FF4(seriously)

All the other classes and skills were done in FF1-3.
ATB?
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

Active Time Battle. Before, it was all characters and monsters take a turn. With ATB, you could do say a haste and the character can do two turns in the time the other guy does one. Things like that. You know the counter on the later Final Fantasies?
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Sniffing Glue For Me And You

Post by Cyborg Stan »

Ghost Rider wrote:FF2- Saga Frontier style...what you do affects what you'll get...use magic you'll be magically inclined, physical...physically inclined.
Innovative and bloody insane. Not only your stats go up according to what you do, they can also go down if you do too much in a round. Casting black magic not only puts your MP, Intelligence, and the level of the spell you cast up, do it too much and it lowers your HP. Physically attack too much and you get stupider. To raise your HP rating, get hit a bunch of times. It doesn't have a fixed class system but the stats you have in the very beginning of the game actually would have an influence on how the characters would very likely to turn out.

Haven't played the later SaGa Frontier series, but I played Romancing Saga 2 & 3 and beat the latter, I like that system. Stats such as strength, speed, intelligence, etc are fixed for each character but actually do little in terms of battle damage itself, as far as I can tell it affects how fast you learn stuff. Also, characters have specialities in weapons to start with. So, you can theorically do pretty much anything with a character - provided you spend enough time with them. Otherwise, they still are distinct with customization.

The magical spells I weren't too impressed with, but I absolutely loved the different weapons, techs, multitechs you could get and use.
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

anarchistbunny wrote:Nope, they did that in two. Errr, do you mean classes or characters?
No, FF2's characters are completely blank slates. They develop based on how you use them.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
RedWizard
Youngling

Post by RedWizard »

anarchistbunny wrote:Hey, I was wondering today, is there a way to play PS1 games on my CD-ROM drive. I want to play FF7 but I don't want to buy a PS1 and the PC version on Kazaa is to big for me to DL.
http://www.epsxe.com/
"Let's *spitting* the fun words for several *pieces* and then surprising things!!!"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

SirNitram wrote:The trick.. Well. Sketch a vanished mechanic guy in Zozo.
What's the monster's name? Gabudank or something? I tried it, and got some inventory stuff after it glitched up in the Battle, but no Paladin Shield or Illumina. :(
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight