The Five-... Okay, Six Forms of Final Fantasy

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

The Five-... Okay, Six Forms of Final Fantasy

Post by SirNitram »

FF5: The first introduction of Jobs. For the patient, this will become a very fun exercise, especially when you finally get a few good Jobs mastered and can use the base level Job again.

FF6: Espers and plain levels. Espers, despite being an intuitive, useful means of learning magic and boosting stats, would never be seen again. Cry.

FF7: More plain leveling, and Materia for all your magic/skill/summoning/etc needs.

FF8: My personal opinions of the game aside(IT SUCKS), the introduction of Junctioning proved unique.

FF9: Similar to Materia, items teach magic/skills/stats.

FFX: The Sphere Grid. Ultimate customizability, if sometimes tedious and confusing.

So which is your favorite? Personally, I was an Esper fan until recently, when I began trekking the Sphere Grid for max stats...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

FF5: The first introduction of Jobs. For the patient, this will become a very fun exercise, especially when you finally get a few good Jobs mastered and can use the base level Job again.
For the very patient. Later perfected in FF Tactics.
FF6: Espers and plain levels. Espers, despite being an intuitive, useful means of learning magic and boosting stats, would never be seen again. Cry.
The Guardian Force system in FF8 is a bit like the Esper system.
FF7: More plain leveling, and Materia for all your magic/skill/summoning/etc needs.
While the Materia system itself didn't bother me, the fact that it seemed like you could pick up any regular Joe off the street, give him some powered up materia, and you'd have a powerful wizard bothered me. The characters should have had unique abilities besides limit breaks, like in FF6.
FF8: My personal opinions of the game aside(IT SUCKS), the introduction of Junctioning proved unique.
Careful, you might bring the wrath of Zaia upon you if you insult FF8 too much.

I have a soft spot for the Junctioning system. I just like it, for some reason.
I like it. A more simplified system, for a game that's meant to recall the more simpler FFs.
FFX: The Sphere Grid. Ultimate customizability, if sometimes tedious and confusing.
Good, but customization doesn't really become an option until much later in the game.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Oh yeah, my favorite. I would have to say the Sphere Grid system.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

ESPERS RULE!!!

Okay, I'm biased because that's my favorite game.

Oh, and anyone note that the Moon People are back? (well, on PS at least. :D)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: The Five-... Okay, Six Forms of Final Fantasy

Post by Ghost Rider »

SirNitram wrote:FF5: The first introduction of Jobs. For the patient, this will become a very fun exercise, especially when you finally get a few good Jobs mastered and can use the base level Job again.
FF3(japanese) did this.

FF5 advanced it to the levl of mixing abilities...which FFT did later on.
SirNitram wrote: FF6: Espers and plain levels. Espers, despite being an intuitive, useful means of learning magic and boosting stats, would never be seen again. Cry.

So which is your favorite? Personally, I was an Esper fan until recently, when I began trekking the Sphere Grid for max stats...
FF6- relics really as well as stat boost per level. Sorta sad to see them go...but they were nice.

FF7- Way too abusible system, but fun

FF8- unique but despised the level system(where your characters level meant crap honestly)

FF9- fun, but a little tedious given how to raise some techs were

FF10- Very customizable especially with the changing Orb(you can make entire sections orbs of one type...seriously...there are orbs that destroy a pre-determind sphere grid orb and can be replaced with say Luck+4...etc.

With FF1- first persay job class

FF2- Saga Frontier style...what you do affects what you'll get...use magic you'll be magically inclined, physical...physically inclined.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

FF6 (or FF3 for the SNES as I knew it) was my favorite. Kefka was just all-around bad news, and just when I thought I was winning, the whole world fell apart and was hideously re-formed -- nice.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Definitely the espers and the relics combined. Between them and the unique talents each character had, you could customize a party that fit your playing style exactly with enough patience (two gold hairpins plus three spellcasters with Ultima plus Gogo equalled a short, nasty death for Kefka).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

RedImperator wrote:Definitely the espers and the relics combined. Between them and the unique talents each character had, you could customize a party that fit your playing style exactly with enough patience (two gold hairpins plus three spellcasters with Ultima plus Gogo equalled a short, nasty death for Kefka).
HA just get Economizer from the Bronchsaur and the quick spell from Raiden Magecite. :D

The Esper system is the BEST in my opinion.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The relic system didn't exactly disappear after FFVI, it just got integrated into the other systems.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Definitely the espers and the relics combined. Between them and the unique talents each character had, you could customize a party that fit your playing style exactly with enough patience (two gold hairpins plus three spellcasters with Ultima plus Gogo equalled a short, nasty death for Kefka).
HA just get Economizer from the Bronchsaur and the quick spell from Raiden Magecite. :D

Cyaround,
Jason
I wandered around that fucking dinosaur forest for four hours and the fucking Brachosaur never showed his ugly fucking face. A got SHITLOADS of XP vaporizing Tyrannosaurs, though
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

RedImperator wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:

Cyaround,
Jason
I wandered around that fucking dinosaur forest for four hours and the fucking Brachosaur never showed his ugly fucking face. A got SHITLOADS of XP vaporizing Tyrannosaurs, though
Really? I got two. :wink:

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Durran Korr wrote:
Phooey on you.
X-Ray Blues
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Durran Korr wrote:
RedImperator wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote: HA just get Economizer from the Bronchsaur and the quick spell from Raiden Magecite. :D

Cyaround,
Jason
Just two...pfft...I outfitted everyone with one on my Master File(that and got every single American possible Gau rage(yes......I was a bored child)

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

FFT all the way.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sphere grid is my favorite way to level up, but ff9 just seemed so RPG old school and I love the plot for that game.

ff8 was a freaking great game, although Junctioning wasn't as fun as learning the spells with MP and I didn't like that you were limited in commands. Story for ff8 though was great, its the sidequests that frustrated me with that one. Remember, first game to introduce Cards.

ff7 all time classick, not my favorite ff but even my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy is ranked higher than almost any other game there is.

FFX was a great game but it was almost too easy, I can now defeat Nemesis without taking any damage to my characters, I simply use the summons to take all the Damage, (Cannon Fodder!), then I use Overdrives, Blitz Ace, Hyper mighty Guard, Attack Reels, each hit doing multiple hits of 99,999 damage.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

I like the FF9 way the best. Before, there was too little distinguishing between who was the fighter, who was the mage etc. However, I haven't gotten my hands of FF10 yet.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Ghost Rider wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:
RedImperator wrote: I wandered around that fucking dinosaur forest for four hours and the fucking Brachosaur never showed his ugly fucking face. A got SHITLOADS of XP vaporizing Tyrannosaurs, though
Just two...pfft...I outfitted everyone with one on my Master File(that and got every single American possible Gau rage(yes......I was a bored child)
I leveled all the chars to 99 and learned all the spells 'cept Merton... TOP THAT boredom lol.

Edit: Just checked and I have 10 economizers.

Cyaround,
Jason
Last edited by Soontir C'boath on 2003-04-11 05:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Soontir C'boath wrote: I leveled all the chars to 99 and learned all the spells 'cept Merton... TOP THAT boredom lol.

Cyaround,
Jason
That too.

Here goes...

All of Mog's dance
All of Gau's Rages
All of the magic for everybody
9999 HP
999 MP
and of course

99 Level for everyone(including Gogo and Umaro)

And beating Mr Chupon...yes Chupon, it's possible but extraordinarily lucky.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Mastered the Inventory Bug to the point where I can have every character equipped with Illumina and Paladin Shield before the WOR.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Soontir C'boath

Ghost Rider wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote: I leveled all the chars to 99 and learned all the spells 'cept Merton... TOP THAT boredom lol.

Cyaround,
Jason
All of Gau's Rages
DAAAMN :!:
I could never get all of Gau's rages, always the same monsters over and over again grrrr....
and Chupon!!!! :cry:
Edit:
SirNitram wrote:Mastered the Inventory Bug to the point where I can have every character equipped with Illumina and Paladin Shield before the WOR.
How do you get them weapons?
I could never in the 8 years that I have it, figured it out :x

Cyaround,
Jason
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I believe the SNES has this absolute screwy bug that gives odd weapons...and Nitram probably has solved what weapons it gives...and Bam

As for Gau...you basically need to also explore the entire World of both becuase there are couple monsters from the original that never appear in the WoR.

I was a very bored kid...closest I come to it these days is getting 255 in every stat in FFX

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Getting the two legitimately is merely an exercise in patience: 255 battles with the Cursed Shield makes it the Paladin shield. The Illumina is gained by wagering the Ragnarok sword. Together, you have over 100% chance of blocking magic and physical.

The trick.. Well. Sketch a vanished mechanic guy in Zozo.

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Hey, I was wondering today, is there a way to play PS1 games on my CD-ROM drive. I want to play FF7 but I don't want to buy a PS1 and the PC version on Kazaa is to big for me to DL.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I'm wondering, was their anything skill wize that was unique in FF4?

I know thier was some new abilities like kick and maybe throw, but besides a 5 member team, was their anything new for the whole team?
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Ghost Rider wrote:All of Mog's dance
Bah. That's nothing. Easy as Hell to do.
Ghost Rider wrote:All of Gau's Rages
All of the magic for everybody
9999 HP
999 MP
and of course

99 Level for everyone(including Gogo and Umaro)

Gau would be hard, the rest you can do with the 99/9999/999 bit with enough time.

Chupon, on the other hand...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight