Argh! Banned from a tfc server for no good reason!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Argh! Banned from a tfc server for no good reason!

Post by Hamel »

Any Team Fortress Classic people will understand some of the following jargon.

Anyways, so I connect to a server I've been to a thousand times before. The map is crossover2, I'm scout on red. Eventually, I make a cap, and soon after, I'm chickened (a server side mod allows admins to change you into a chicken, and then you cannot attack). I dont get an answer for why this happened, then this asshole called maddogg says I was bunnyhopping (he is a fucking idiot if he believes this; bunnyhopping was fixed and is only doable on servers with a bunnyhop hook installed). I point out to him how the accusation is bullshit, then I get permabanned. Seems the admin doesn't like it when I own their D with a 2 hp scout and conc out of the basement.

So I go to their forum, ask wtf was going on, then some regular idiot posts "Its maddogg's server. Ur banned. period. bye."

If this was just one tfc server, then I'd have no problem; I could connect to any of the hundreds of other servers. But no, half the tfc servers are run by idiots =/ If it isn't that, it's the OGC newbs hacking it up as sniper or hw.

If anyone has any similar experiences with idiotic admins, i'd like to hear about it
Last edited by Hamel on 2003-04-10 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Since I'm basically a mid-level player in terms of skill (except at Counter-Strike, which I never play anymore anyway) I've never had this problem. The only time I got close was when TFC was the only game I played and I was regularly racking up scores of 55-4 as soldier on Well, usually while performing capture assists'.

An Admin got closed to banning me one time, because he was playing as scout, and he would try and blitz past me as a scout. I nailed his ankles with a rocket everytime, and I put the killing rocket on target right as he landed. This happened about ten times in a row, and he got pissed. But then I changed teams for balance and we didn't have a problem anymore.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

This happens, sadly. FATASS regularly got banned from Tribes servers because we pwn3d sn1p3r b1tch3s
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

SirNitram wrote:This happens, sadly. FATASS regularly got banned from Tribes servers because we pwn3d sn1p3r b1tch3s
I've frequented the tribalwar.com forums, and from that I have the impression that all too many tribes admins are pieces of trash
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

In UT, Facing World, everyone started flaming me for sniping so much.

That's about as harsh as it's gotten for me.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Hamel wrote:
SirNitram wrote:This happens, sadly. FATASS regularly got banned from Tribes servers because we pwn3d sn1p3r b1tch3s
I've frequented the tribalwar.com forums, and from that I have the impression that all too many tribes admins are pieces of trash
And they all play snipers, as far as I can tell. Some didn't mind it when shown the error of their ways, but too many turned into bitches when eight guys in Heavy armour drop onto the base from the air and cause havoc.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Ooh, another one. In a game of counter-strike, I was just screwing around. You know, using inferior weapons, stupid kamikaze tactics. I kept killing the admin, and he kept whining and calling it bullshit (even the time I nailed him full-auto fifteen rounds from an M4 at a range of ten feet, and even got killed myself in the process). He kept whining and crying, and I called him on it, and then he said he was going to ban me. So I left.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Bunnyhopping? He got you for THAT!? In Quake 3 you can bunnyhop till the cows come home and no one'll bat an eye! Q3 Admins and players tend to have maturity about things tho, and bunnyhopping is seen as not cheating, but advanced skillz. Even when you play rotten then outta nowhere get seven Impressives (two consecutive hits with Railgun) in a row followed by a flag cap, they still don't care. It might be Punkbuster, it might be simply the players and server admins are more mature... Q1 and Q2 players are even more laid back than that believe it or not... I don't know, but I never had ban problems with Quake.
Image Image
Sektor31
Padawan Learner

Post by Sektor31 »

Too bad the Q3 engine sucks for me. :/
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Been accused of using an aimbot for TFC numerous times... I make headshots like reflexes... :D

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

God, if only I had the skills to be considered a hacker. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

A question: could someone clarify for me what a camper is? Is it someone who just finds a cheap spot to hide and pick off players with little fear of retaliation, or is it someone who finds a spot like that facing a respawn point and racks up kills against guys armed with pistols?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, I've never been able to play CounterStrike online, so I'm a little in the dark as to what CS bunnyhopping is.

I honestly prefer UT (original)'s movement system. I've played Q3 online, and no, I wasn't terribly impressed. At any rate, I've more or less mastered the technique of dodge-running in UT, allowing me to move across a map at an insane rate of speed.

On the UT servers I've played on, anyway, most of the people seem pretty mature. If somebody gets pissed about me sniping on Facing Worlds sometime, they don't whine about it. They try to take me out directly. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't. But I've never gotten banned from a server (although UTPure accidentally kicked me one time for no reason).
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

RedImperator wrote:A question: could someone clarify for me what a camper is? Is it someone who just finds a cheap spot to hide and pick off players with little fear of retaliation, or is it someone who finds a spot like that facing a respawn point and racks up kills against guys armed with pistols?
No, that's a spawn-camper.

A regular camper is someone who hangs out by a powerful weapon respawn point, and they use that to rank up kills against anybody else who is trying to get that weapon. An annoying example in UT is a person who hangs around the Redeemer...
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

RedImperator wrote:A question: could someone clarify for me what a camper is? Is it someone who just finds a cheap spot to hide and pick off players with little fear of retaliation, or is it someone who finds a spot like that facing a respawn point and racks up kills against guys armed with pistols?
There are multiple versions of Camper.

The traditional Camper is one who plays a Death Match game and stays near a very powerful weapon and/or armor/health. This allows the person to rack up the kills while killing people who don't have a chance. This particular tactic while common is also extremely dispised by most players.

The second type of Camper is the Spawn Camper. They will bulk up with good weapons, armor, and health. They will stay near known respawn points and waste new players who are disoriented and don't have good weapons or defense. Spawn Campers can be in Death Match of coop and team games.

The last type of Camper is the one who camps on a team game mission map. Typicaly it is a terrorist who stays in one spot when their mission is to bomb a building or a counter terrorist who hides when it is their mission to rescue the prisoners. These campers just want to survive the mission (typicaly their team is loosing) so they hide in the hopes of surviving so they have enough money for the next mission. This is very prevailent in Counter-Strike.

Now, when playing Counter-Strike there are some fucking idiots who will accuse you of camping if you sit in one spot for more then three seconds. They will accuse a terrorist of camping when he is guarding hostages or they will accuse a CT of camping when guarding a bomb site. Hell, one game I was playing I heard idiots moving around in the next room over so I crouched near the door to ambush the bumbling idiots. The fucking server had a mod that actualy reduced your health and broadcast a message stating you are camping if you sit in one spot for more then 20 seconds. Apparently the server would rather I have run blindly into the other room where there were four enemies then to wait for them to come through the door so I could ambush them. However, contrary to popular belief this is not camping in Counter-Strike.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Camping is the best tactic in the universe. Honestly, who charges in like Rambo?

What I want to know is, why the hell can't players figure out 1) where you are, 2) what you're doing, and 3) how to stop you? I mean, it's just ONE GUY. I've dislodged campers hundreds of times, because no matter what happens, it's always just one guy.

In my opinion, the ONLY people who complain about campers - EVEN spawn campers - are the ones who can't think themselves out of their problem. Again, I've been in games where enemy artillery has basically ground enemy opposition by shelling spawn points into oblivion. And ALL'S FREAKIN' FAIR.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

So sometimes camping is a cheap tactic that takes advantage of game mechanics, and sometimes it's what Rambo-esque idiots accuse people who use good tactics of doing. Thanks.

By the way, wouldn't random weapon and health respawn points do a lot to eliminate the first kind of camping?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

RedImperator wrote:So sometimes camping is a cheap tactic that takes advantage of game mechanics, and sometimes it's what Rambo-esque idiots accuse people who use good tactics of doing. Thanks.
That's the crux, though: If a kill is gained because of underhanded, but mechanic-legal, tactics, WHAT is that? A sign of a bad game or good players? If the designers of a game make it possible to kill someone in one shot with a weapon, or blast rooms apart with near-infinite amounts of ammo, or spawn people into potentially hostile situations, what do you do?

Me, I figure that it's originally the fault of the game designers, but that said, it is usually the case that there is little way to make it so that what I call Suppression Camping doesn't take place.

Every game that has EVER been made has a 'trick' or two that players use: places to maximize level gaining, tricks to deke scripted sequences to maximize outcomes, tricks to get past obstacles. Example: In the Omaha Beach map of BF1942, with friendly fire off so that player's can't hurt each other, it is possible to use grenades to propel you up and over the otherwise impassable cliffs and through a shortcut to instant victory. A handful of medics working together can take the map in less than five minutes. How is that fixed? Turn on friendly fire. What happens then? You get shot in the back by your teammates as you charge up the hill. At that point, it's not the game designers, it's the players - the designers have had to allow 'tricks' as part of a compromise to improve the quality of online sportsmanship.
By the way, wouldn't random weapon and health respawn points do a lot to eliminate the first kind of camping?
Some games have made 'spawn rooms' that can't be camped, or flag rooms that are too open to cover. Tribes 2, for example, has excellent spawn coverage, whereas UT and BF1942 have terrible spawn coverage. Overall, I don't think ANY game has it figured out, although the Massively Multiplayer Online FPS called Planetside, as far as I can tell, is 99.99999% there, with untouchable 'spawn cities' and flexible transports to the battlefield from there.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Spawn Camping is something I will never accept as a legal tactic. In Ghost Recon a single spwan camper can kill you every single time before you can react if they know what they are doing. At least Team Fortress got around that by creating protected spawn points. Then again I learned how to get around that to a degree in the original TF. I would play as a HWGuy and I could sneak into one of the spawn rooms in Well.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Alyeska wrote:Spawn Camping is something I will never accept as a legal tactic. In Ghost Recon a single spwan camper can kill you every single time before you can react if they know what they are doing. At least Team Fortress got around that by creating protected spawn points. Then again I learned how to get around that to a degree in the original TF. I would play as a HWGuy and I could sneak into one of the spawn rooms in Well.
Seconded. All other forms of Camping are completely acceptable to me. In fact, some levels are DESIGNED to be Paw Paw's Camper City.

Take Q3CTF4, for instance. This is an open-space platform map, with small easily-accessed platforms above the main flag plats. These have the only two Railguns on the level. A good sniper can change the entire course of the game with a few well-placed shots by, say, knocking the flag carrier into the Void...

Of course, the best way to deal with Railgun Campers on the level is to either get a Rail of your own and shoot the other guy off (these plats are small enough to make dodging a dangerous proposition), or whip out Ye Old Machinegun and start pelting him with that with the telezoom on. Good idea to keep the bastard from railing you: start wobbling back and forth with the strafe keys, and PRAY his teammate doesn't sneak up on you and stick his shotgun up your ass! Another tactic is to start blasting the platform with your Rocket Launcher (make sure you have a ton of r0x!) The blast waves can damage him and knock him off, where you can deal with him with your RL or your shotgun.

In Q3CTF4, EVERYONE starts with their MG and a Shotgun, too. Watch out for flying buckshot! Lata and Happy Fragging!
Image Image
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

I've already posted this in another thread, but i'll make a contribution here as well: Even in Medal of Honour Team Deathmatches (The only game type worth playing in MOH), I get accused of camping...for example if I try to stay still in a protected position for more than a few seconds with a sniper rifle, kill three or four people, all of a sudden i'm a 'dirty n00b camper' :roll:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I HATE spawn campers. It just makes the game unenjoyable and thats what I play for to enjoy myself.

Now as to the camping at a good kill zone there should be nothing wrong with that. I play on a pretty good DOD server with a mature Admin so I rarely have this problem, but there's always some noobs that come on and start complaining about things. For instance I found a sweet spot to set up my MG42 on this one map and was just wasting the Allies away, mowing them down and my team kept running by and dropping off ammo for me.

One of the noobs on Allied accused me of camping to which the Admin(who was also playiong Allied at the time) said "He's an MG. He's SUPPPOSED to camp. " If you can't handle a good enemy postion then just give it up. Did the allies storming Normandy yell at the Nazi's "Your fucking camping thats not fair!" Grrrrr...the one thing that really annoys me about these multi players is the prevalence of 14 year olds and it shows.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Stravo wrote:I HATE spawn campers. It just makes the game unenjoyable and thats what I play for to enjoy myself.
There are, for what I think, a few places where spawn-camping is okay. In Battlefield 1942, you narrow down your opponent's spawn points by capturing and holding them. As far as I can tell, crushing your enemy's final spawn point with vast bombardment is part of the joy of final victory in a BF1942 map.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lagmonster wrote:
Stravo wrote:I HATE spawn campers. It just makes the game unenjoyable and thats what I play for to enjoy myself.
There are, for what I think, a few places where spawn-camping is okay. In Battlefield 1942, you narrow down your opponent's spawn points by capturing and holding them. As far as I can tell, crushing your enemy's final spawn point with vast bombardment is part of the joy of final victory in a BF1942 map.
In that case its totaly different. That is the way the game is designed. However, 99% of the FPS games out there are not designed for Spawn Camping and it fuckinb sucks when two Spawn Campers can waste an entire team and keep it that way no matter how hard you try. In Ghost Recon at least they have a large enough spawn area with terrian changes that it takes a fair number of people to effectively camp the site. But in some other games where a single spawn point is known and someone with a powerful weapon starts camping it, that fucking sucks.

This reminds me of a game of Laser Tag that I went to play. Some fucking idiot got the bright idea to camp the recharge point. You walk up, recharge, he fucking shoots you. I took the little twerp and threw him to the ground and told him to fuck off. He almost ran away crying.

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Speaking of spawn camping, I was playing UT in coop mode the other day (using the OldSkool mod) and we got some n00b who thought that it was kewl to shoot at teammates. So here he is, running around and wasting ammo shooting at his teammates (and apparently not realizing that friendly fire was set to 0%), when all of a sudden a Stone Titan comes along and curbstomps him.

Ah, poetic justice :)