Tev has computer woes

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Tev has computer woes

Post by Batman »

Quoting from what she told me on FB, relating per request

The on button on my computer will light up, but the screen stays black.
I hold down the on button ten second for the hard reset
It Doesn’t Turn Off
I closed the laptop lid, left it for 4 hrs, which should have it sleep or shut down
I open the lid and the on button is still glowing
I tried the hard rest again.
The light didn’t turn off.

Nonremoveable battery
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Tev has computer woes

Post by Mr Bean »

Batman wrote: 2022-03-03 06:17pm Quoting from what she told me on FB, relating per request

The on button on my computer will light up, but the screen stays black.
I hold down the on button ten second for the hard reset
It Doesn’t Turn Off
I closed the laptop lid, left it for 4 hrs, which should have it sleep or shut down
I open the lid and the on button is still glowing
I tried the hard rest again.
The light didn’t turn off.

Nonremoveable battery
Motherboard first guess, let the battery drain out but it might take a day or two plug it in and see if it will power on. Is it under warranty of any kind? Failing that see if there's a local shop that might be willing to do a free diagnosis. Damn Tev

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Deleted for not making sense without context not provided
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Is this an HDML cord?
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
You sent
Looks USB to me.
You sent
But these days all of those cables look alike.
You sent
By the way Bean mentioned warranty but as you said your PC is from 14 or 15 I assume 'no'.
You sent
But there's a very simple method to find out if that is a HDMI cable- find a device in your home with a HDMI socket, and if the cable fits it's likely a HDMI one
You sent
Can even be your laptop. The device doesn't have to be ON for the connector to physically fit!
You sent
As you're apparently gone so am I.
Kathy
No I was busy looking for a cord because that wasn’t it
Kathy
And moving the tv into the kitchen because the room it was in doesn’t have a 3-prong outlet
Kathy
And then moved the tv Back because it wasn’t an HDMI
Kathy
Cord
Kathy
Tell SDNet I followed the suggested troubleshooting online, got stuck at”plug into external monitor” because I can’t find a HDMI cord.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
I have an HDMI tv I can use as an external monitor
Write to Kathy Kemmish
The rest of the conversation , unedited
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I plugged the computer in just now
The On button lit up without me touching it
Hooking an external monitor via HDMI resulted in “No Signal”.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Apparently computer is confirmed dead by now
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Are we going to pass the hat so she can get a new one and stay in contact?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I don't know that she's started a new GoFundMe but she said on FB donations are welcome
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'm game. Wouldn't cost that much, just search eBay for "refurbished SFF desktop" and you can pick up basic but perfectly serviceable kit for $100 or less.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

She's a gamer so she'd likely want something a bit more performant.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Way back in 2008 or 2009 my WoW guild bought me a new gaming computer for Christmas - get a dozen or two people to chip in it's not that much per person. I'm happy to PayPal some money towards the effort if someone sets up the donation page (I don't know how to do that and I've got a couple other irons in the fire right now).
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

sharing with permission
Tev's Paypal
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

You sent
maybe not invest half a years' earnings of a job you don't yet REALLY have on a PC you don't really need?
Kathy
That’s where you’re wrong.
I need the laptop for SCA. I have the class schedule and descriptions that will need copied and printed to the site pamphlet
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
I need to print off the scroll words so I don’t skip a paragraph or word
You sent
You need an internet capable laptop. I get that. What you don't need at least initially is the gaming rig.
Kathy
I need FFXIV so I can ignore mom and her stupid game shows
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
Of course I won’t play as much once I’m working, but still
You sent
That's a lot of money you're planning on spending there.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
Do you think I don’t know that?
You sent
I thought maybe get the minimum you need to be back online for keeps and then go from there.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
I can only afford one
You sent
You can afford a 2K gaming laptop but not a 150$ Chromebook and then a REAL Laptop half a year or so later?
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
Why spend money twice?
You sent
Because for people like you,spending small amounts of money comes easier?
You sent
And maybe, just maybe, You'd be able to afford the initial purchase without going into debt.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
And then I have a Chrimebook I don’t use that’s just sitting around gathering dust.

It’s wasted money
You sent
So because it won't run FF 15 you won't use it.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
See, that’s where you’re wrong.

I have very little money.
Spending the money to buy TWO things when I just need ONE is wasted money.
You sent
No, you're wrong. The first thing is something you can afford without going into debt and will serve your basic computing needs. The second thing is a luxury you want and MAY be able to afford a bit down the line .
Kathy
Look.
If you think it’s such a good idea post it to SDN and see what they think of it.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
Hell. Copy this discussion to there.
You sent
That's sort of the point. With the Chromebook, you wouldn't NEED me to.
Kathy
I NEED MORE FUNCTIONALITY THAN A CHROMEBOOK.
Kathy
Kathy Kemmish
now go post this to SDN and see who they agree with
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I get that she's stressed and wants to escape into games, but given her constant financial struggles, you're 100% right here. She should get a cheap Chromebook and lean into streaming movies and lightweight indy games that even a Chromebook can run. Once she's able to get a new gaming rig, then the temp laptop can be saved as a backup, used as the unit she takes with her to events or donated/sold as she sees fit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

We can definitely chip in enough for an adequate Chromebook, I don't know if we can manage a gaming rig.

I get that she wants the more expensive one now, and if she doesn't get it now given her ongoing money issues she may not get it at all for quite awhile. That said, we can't fix her financial problems for her. I get it, I was without my favorite game/realm to escape to for nearly five months, it sucks, but as you said that sort of gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.

A Chromebook or the like gets her back on line quickly and I'm presuming works for everything but the gaming. When she can afford the bigger rig then, as you say, she can either keep the Chromebook as backup, use it for traveling, sell it, donate it, use it as a doorstop, whatever.

The only way around that is if we can get enough people to pitch in so small number donations add up. Do we have that many? Because while I'll kick $5 or even $10 into the hat my own resources are limited, too. We're all on a budget during uncertain times.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'd say you're both right, in that your advice is the more practical and realistic approach, but her mental health requires distractions that streamed shows and the like may not be sufficient to provide. And I can also see the logic of "Why spend the money twice?" even with "use initial minimal machine to get back online and resume minimum requirements".
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Steve, you make a good point, however, it still comes down to how much money we can raise. If we pass the hat and at the end there's enough for the computer Tev really wants that's great, let's do it. However, there aren't as many people here as there used to be, and most of us to not have a lot of money to give. How much can we raise?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

NO NEED TO PASS THE HAT!!!

A fellow Scadian had an 'accidental overbuy' two years ago and received TWO laptops. She opened one and left the other still in the shipping box.
When I received her gift today, it was literally "Mint In Box", not even the packing tape had been disturbed. I'm typing from "Philedelph" right now.

He's a HP Pavilion GTX 1650. I5in screen "Gaming Laptop"
Intel i5-9300 processor
256GB solid state drive
3-cell 52.5Wh
8GB Sodium DDR4 SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 4GB

Drawback - no Optical Drive, and I'm sad over the smaller screen.

on the Plus Side -- Google Chrome found all my bookmarks and passwords, I got all my emails reset, and I'm in process of getting my games back. I will be able to get my old HD transferred over at some point, just gotta wait for a caddy.

If anyone would like their donation back, please PM me, and I'll be happy to refund you.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Will it pass the gaming rig test though?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-08 08:09pm
Drawback - no Optical Drive, and I'm sad over the smaller screen.
USB optical drives are about $20-$25 on Amazon.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Batman wrote: 2022-03-09 12:19amWill it pass the gaming rig test though?
Could do with a second stick of RAM at some point, and like all laptops it has the problem of being far less serviceable than a tower, but it'll definitely get the job done.

And if you want some more screen real estate, projectors are actually getting cheaper than monitors these days: About US$50 buys one that's got picture quality more than good enough for watching films, and a screen and a tripod doesn't run to that much more. The only caveat is that you need a big stretch of blank wall to mount said screen.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Nice get Tev. I'm glad you'll be able to play games and have maintained the ability to stay connected to people that are important to you.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... after I got all the rest of the stuff set up, I started downloading Final Fantasy XIV. It's the third day of downloading, as it was a 74400MB download, and my Internet download speed is 2000-6500 KB.

I love living in an area with only one Cable/Phone/Internet option, and this is what they claim is "High Speed". :banghead:

I hope the download for M:tG Arena isn't this big.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What's your TV set up like? If it has the needed ports and you have the needed cables, you could use that as a bigger monitor instead of going the projector route.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-03-11 11:56am What's your TV set up like? If it has the needed ports and you have the needed cables, you could use that as a bigger monitor instead of going the projector route.
Again, it's the Portability Issue, Solauren. The Dining Room is where I have to set up, because its' got the 3-prong plugs. My bedroom and the 'junk room' do not. Hell, the Junk Room's overhead light's not worked in 25years, and as far as I've been able to find there is ONLY ONE PLUG (and it's a 2-prong). Then there's the matter of moving all of Mom's junk out of the Junk Room so I'd have a place to set up a desk. :(

One day we might get that done, but right now Mom's not wanting to throw things away.