Tev has computer woes

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tev has computer woes

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-11 05:25pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-03-11 11:56am What's your TV set up like? If it has the needed ports and you have the needed cables, you could use that as a bigger monitor instead of going the projector route.
Again, it's the Portability Issue, Solauren. The Dining Room is where I have to set up, because its' got the 3-prong plugs. My bedroom and the 'junk room' do not. Hell, the Junk Room's overhead light's not worked in 25years, and as far as I've been able to find there is ONLY ONE PLUG (and it's a 2-prong). Then there's the matter of moving all of Mom's junk out of the Junk Room so I'd have a place to set up a desk. :(

One day we might get that done, but right now Mom's not wanting to throw things away.
Have you considered replacing the plugs with a 3 prong instead? Unless your house is absolutely ancient by electrical standards, it should be doable. And if it is ancient by electrical standards, my sympathies.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-10 12:41pm So... after I got all the rest of the stuff set up, I started downloading Final Fantasy XIV. It's the third day of downloading, as it was a 74400MB download, and my Internet download speed is 2000-6500 KB.

I love living in an area with only one Cable/Phone/Internet option, and this is what they claim is "High Speed". :banghead:

I hope the download for M:tG Arena isn't this big.
I did some quick Googling. I got varying numbers for the install size of M:tG Arena as that seems to have increased over the years, with the largest being 11GB. With that last one possibly being because it preloaded an update.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-03-11 05:35pm Have you considered replacing the plugs with a 3 prong instead? Unless your house is absolutely ancient by electrical standards, it should be doable. And if it is ancient by electrical standards, my sympathies.
The house was rewired between 1965-1975 by my grandfather, his sons and sons-in-law. NONE OF THEM were professional electricians, just picked up the basics working in the mines.
I'd really have to pay someone to go thru and check the wiring to see if it had the right wires for a 3-prong. When that one plug got hot and needed replaced, the wiring behind the plug was paper-wrapped from the 1960s
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-12 12:42pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-03-11 05:35pm Have you considered replacing the plugs with a 3 prong instead? Unless your house is absolutely ancient by electrical standards, it should be doable. And if it is ancient by electrical standards, my sympathies.
The house was rewired between 1965-1975 by my grandfather, his sons and sons-in-law. NONE OF THEM were professional electricians, just picked up the basics working in the mines.
I'd really have to pay someone to go thru and check the wiring to see if it had the right wires for a 3-prong. When that one plug got hot and needed replaced, the wiring behind the plug was paper-wrapped from the 1960s
I'm sorry, but I'd be beyond terrified to plug into the house, let alone sleep in it.

Reselling that house without a professional electrician going over it and updating it to code (which I doubt its anywhere near for the 1960s even) is going to be a problem, or lower the price massively.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-03-12 02:30pm I'm sorry, but I'd be beyond terrified to plug into the house, let alone sleep in it.

Reselling that house without a professional electrician going over it and updating it to code (which I doubt its anywhere near for the 1960s even) is going to be a problem, or lower the price massively.
That's one of the reasons why I'm pretty sure I'll get the house when Mom dies. ;)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-12 12:42pm I'd really have to pay someone to go thru and check the wiring to see if it had the right wires for a 3-prong. When that one plug got hot and needed replaced, the wiring behind the plug was paper-wrapped from the 1960s
Ha! I once helped re-wire a house (under the supervision of a qualified and professional electrician) that had knob and tube wiring dating from the late 1930's. The rest of the home was mix of wiring styles and techniques up through the 2010's. It was... alarming. Also, the owner managed to electrocute himself attempting to change a light fixture in the kitchen. Damage to the owner was minor under the circumstances, fortunately, although there was a patch if drywall in the kitchen where he impacted during the event that had to be repaired. That is why he hired the electrician in question. I was hired to help pull wire and repair drywall.

I really don't recommend amateur re-wiring projects, especially in older homes that many have all sorts of ... creative wiring "solutions". That's a job for a professional. Some homeowners can do things like repair/replace outlets but that project needs to be approached the with caution appropriate to dealing with chained lightning.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FFVIX COMPLETE! MtG ARENA Complete!

And godsdammit because it's a new DL I have to go back and reset ALL MY SETTINGS!! It was bad enough to see my HUD screwed up, but THEN I saw all my GEAR SETS were gone too! :finger:

I had to go through All 7 Jobs, reset the gear, reset the CrossBar for each one, Redo the HUD 4 times before I realized it was showing the Hotbar AND the Crossbar both :banghead: Then go back and turn off Performance, and other Audio distractions.
And I couldn't get the Summoner bar set up right because of all the "If (x) happens, button changes to (y)" confusion. Thankfully that's already at Lvl 90 so I really don't have to play it until 6.1 drops.

I need a new headset, my old one was a 3-cord plug (mic, sound, USB). This is a single plug so I'm using my iPhone earbuds right now.

So far no signs of problems from the use of memory.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-03-12 06:24pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-12 12:42pm I'd really have to pay someone to go thru and check the wiring to see if it had the right wires for a 3-prong. When that one plug got hot and needed replaced, the wiring behind the plug was paper-wrapped from the 1960s
Ha! I once helped re-wire a house (under the supervision of a qualified and professional electrician) that had knob and tube wiring dating from the late 1930's. The rest of the home was mix of wiring styles and techniques up through the 2010's. It was... alarming. Also, the owner managed to electrocute himself attempting to change a light fixture in the kitchen. Damage to the owner was minor under the circumstances, fortunately, although there was a patch if drywall in the kitchen where he impacted during the event that had to be repaired. That is why he hired the electrician in question. I was hired to help pull wire and repair drywall.

I really don't recommend amateur re-wiring projects, especially in older homes that many have all sorts of ... creative wiring "solutions". That's a job for a professional. Some homeowners can do things like repair/replace outlets but that project needs to be approached the with caution appropriate to dealing with chained lightning.
Truth.
When we needed that one outlet replaced, we couldn't figure out which breaker it was on. We finally just shut down the whole breaker box.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

No need for a new headset, you can get an adapter for the audio plug for less than five dollars on eBay.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zaune wrote: 2022-03-12 06:34pm No need for a new headset, you can get an adapter for the audio plug for less than five dollars on eBay.
There's an adapter for all three? Because there's no mic plug, just the audio plug.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If you're talking about the laptop, it should be a combined one for headphones and a microphone just like on a non-Apple smartphone. You can use an adapter like this one (from the first page of search results I found on eBay) to split the mic and audio inputs from it and plug the USB connector in as normal.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-03-12 06:24pm I really don't recommend amateur re-wiring projects, especially in older homes that many have all sorts of ... creative wiring "solutions". That's a job for a professional. Some homeowners can do things like repair/replace outlets but that project needs to be approached the with caution appropriate to dealing with chained lightning.
When we moved in, we found a old wire for an electrical stove in the basement, not capped, and just drywalled over. We traced it back to the panel and disconnected it. When the furnace was replaced a few days later (by professionals), they also went over the wiring in the house due to the age of the equipment that was being replaced. I'm still amazed the 'stove wire' was the only problem of that nature.