HDMI Switch issues

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

HDMI Switch issues

Post by Crazedwraith »

So back into 2016 I got an hdmi switch so i could put input from my console and pc into the monitor. All lovely.

Fast forward to march 2020, I'm wfh because... pandemic. Now I'm using the switch to switch between pc and work laptop. Still lovely.

Yesterday. Go into office get new laptop. Today... using the switch between new hp probook and dell monitor means no output on the monitor. It can see the monitor is there but no picture or sound emerges. The display setting say it's not active.

My google fu is failling me so I thought I'd ask advice here. I'm seeing there's either a lack of some authorisation code from google, or a lack of power/bandwith available.

Any ideas for a fix? or how to verify a new switch would work with the laptop?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: HDMI Switch issues

Post by Mr Bean »

Three things

1. Cables, test via flop cables to the other port confirm monitor cable is valid and causing the issue
2. Switch, direct monitor ensure switch is issue not monitor
3. Laptop, verify laptop does not have external output disable in it's BIOS or windows settings. Also verify valid port try another monitor see if will output to anything. If you don't have another laptop find a repair shop or computer shop and ask to test your laptop monitor out to verify it works, offer small amounts of shinny coin if they balk.

TL:DR if the new laptop can't output video start check to see where it can't output video, the cable, the switch or to monitor's period.

Also re-reading question if it can do all of these things but can't when both items are hooked to the switch it's time for the chanting and prayer.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: HDMI Switch issues

Post by Crazedwraith »

The laptop can use the monitor, with the same cable when the switch isn't in the way. The same laptop and cable could also use the tv as a second screen also.

I can't double check to see the switch still works with other items right now but it did up until this morning. So it seems to be specifically this laptop not liking this switch.

Or rather it is working because the laptop knows the monitor there and thinks it's working... it's just not actually showing the display or making sound.