Rogue (re)plays X-Wing

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Rogue (re)plays X-Wing

Post by Solauren »

Have you considered updating the missions to the XVTBOP format and reflying them in it? I've done that for some of the TIe Fighter missions, and there is a different improvement in your Wingmen.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-05-01 11:43am Have you considered updating the missions to the XVTBOP format and reflying them in it? I've done that for some of the TIe Fighter missions, and there is a different improvement in your Wingmen.
That might be a later project. As is, I'm showcasing the older game in its not-quite-original (this is the remake graphics because the 1993 8 bit graphics are next to unplayable) format. :)

Anyway, the rest of the campaign is in the can. Next I'm going to attempt the Balance of Power campaign for XvT, but that's balanced for multiplayer, so if I can't make it work single player I'll skip it and go into XWA.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-05-01 01:24pm That might be a later project. As is, I'm showcasing the older game in its not-quite-original (this is the remake graphics because the 1993 8 bit graphics are next to unplayable) format. :)

Anyway, the rest of the campaign is in the can. Next I'm going to attempt the Balance of Power campaign for XvT, but that's balanced for multiplayer, so if I can't make it work single player I'll skip it and go into XWA.
Are you doing both sides of the campaign or just one?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

RogueIce wrote: 2021-05-01 08:41pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-05-01 01:24pm That might be a later project. As is, I'm showcasing the older game in its not-quite-original (this is the remake graphics because the 1993 8 bit graphics are next to unplayable) format. :)

Are you doing both sides of the campaign or just one?
I will do both sides of the campaign, but the Imperial side will follow the conclusion of TIE Fighter, so it won't line up with the Rebel side. I have the missions in all the 90s games counted and am on track to finish both the Rebel and Imperial sides at the same time to launch into the Squadrons single player to cap it all off. Since there was no Imperial answer to Alliance, though, it's existence means there are a lot more total Rebel missions, so it has to work out this way.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That makes sense. I hope BoP works out for you, I was never any good at it so it'll be interesting to see it played out, and compared with the earlier games as well as XWA which definitely did the most for storytelling in the series.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I have the first two Rebel missions in the can. They're noticeably harder, but thus far not insurmountably so. I'm looking forward to getting out of the Z-95.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Z-95 isn't IMHO a bad fighter per se but rather it's a pre-Clone Wars design in the OT era, it's just outdated and designed for a different conflict then these games depict. I suspect Z-95 was meant be the between options if you needed something heavier then a V-wing but not quite as heavy as an ARC-170, in the OT era the X-wing fill that slot better
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, well XvT is solidly in the post-ESB OT era, and the Z-95 is horribly outclassed. Especially since the very first mission puts shields on TIE Interceptors. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah I got all those games, IIRC it was warheads on TIE Fighters and shields on TIE Interceptors that was the common boost. At least it's not a stock YT-1300 versus the Empire as some XWA missions are, well generic YT-1300 as long the Falcon gets a special version in that game.

I remember one rather nasty mission Spoiler
where you had to protect your in-game sister and since she in a space suit she's a 1 hp wonder
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Looking at latest vids published it actually makes sense that Neutral power (even a minor one) would have more Y-wings then rebels had at Yavin IV as the Yavin cell is just one cell even if it's an important one and rebel Y-wings are mostly surplus Clone Wars or early Imperial craft the rebels have been able to capture. While the Nhawaark (sic) would probably been able to buy those thru legal means rather then having to rely on stealing and defections.

Now if the Nhawaark had more A-Wings, B-Wings or X-Wings then the rebels then that would be another matter as when the games where made those were craft that rebels built rather then gained thru other means and thus pretty much exclusive to the Rebel Alliance, while even when these games were made the Y-wings were suppose to an older design.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The briefing says that the Rebels supplied the Y-wings, however.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-05-03 11:13pm The briefing says that the Rebels supplied the Y-wings, however.
That does change things somewhat. Though it still could be a case of "here we can give you these outdated fighters we don't need as much", after all it wasn't the whole rebellion at Yavin just a part of it so it's possible (like it is current canon) that what Yavin had was some depleted squadrons they hadn't had the time to re-enforce back to full strength rather that being the grand total of starfighters the rebels had.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'm getting to the end of X-Wing. The final missions go live this evening and tomorrow (the last one is an A/B mission). The Rebel side of the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter campaign premieres Sunday. And if you're following TIE Fighter, I should say that playing XvT without banking all of TIE Fighter first was a mistake; I got spoiled on its improved mechanics fairly quickly and it wrecked my aim in TIE Fighter for a bit. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

How is XvT going? You seem to be averaging two shootdowns per mission, but since XvT gives you "extra lives" that's not (as) bad as it would be for XW or TF.

Definitely balanced for having human wingmen or is it viable for solo play, in your opinion?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

RogueIce wrote: 2021-05-22 02:01pm How is XvT going? You seem to be averaging two shootdowns per mission, but since XvT gives you "extra lives" that's not (as) bad as it would be for XW or TF.

Definitely balanced for having human wingmen or is it viable for solo play, in your opinion?
I'm on mission thirteen right now and it's nearly impossible. I have someone who's going to fly with me through the rest of it from that point; I'm powerleveling my account's multiplayer profile right now to actually get to that point so we can do it.

XvT is deadlier than X-Wing, because weapons are faster firing and have faster projectile speed, so the AI's inability to lead shots matters much less. Capital ships are deadly to be around for the same reason.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

And we're to the point in TIE Fighter where we're essentially fighting treasonous Imperials full time. I have to wonder how Maarek Steele never got wind of Zaarin's plot, having spent a tour under his command. It seems everyone else in his command both knew and was in on it considering how flawlessly he got them to all turn at once.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-05-28 11:31pm And we're to the point in TIE Fighter where we're essentially fighting treasonous Imperials full time. I have to wonder how Maarek Steele never got wind of Zaarin's plot, having spent a tour under his command. It seems everyone else in his command both knew and was in on it considering how flawlessly he got them to all turn at once.
It could be explained by our limited perspective on things, it's possible that there were others Zaarin knew weren't in on his coup but he made sure they never knew about each others. While also making sure those who were in on the coup would spill the beans to those who were Loyal to the Empire.

After all in legends Zaaring made it to the rank of Grand Admiral thru legitimate means (aka the Emperor gave him that rank, it wasn't something he gave himself), so it likely he was somewhat smart.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

It could be that while you spent at least the first 3 tours in Harkov's fleet and only one under Zaarin. Also he tried to take over the Empire rather than defect so might have been able to play that angle on much under his command keeping his plans hidden better before he moved them ahead.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Wrapped up Balance of Power today. X-Wing Alliance starts next week.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-06-11 07:45pm Wrapped up Balance of Power today. X-Wing Alliance starts next week.
So what's your view on the continuity of BOP's campaign? LucasArts Light Side Ending Policy where the Rebel campaign is the one that counts? Imperial victory because hey, we never hear about the Calenz shipyard, modified strike cruisers or Airam ever again? The Wookieepedia middle-of-the-road approach where both final missions happened except of course the cruiser Liberty and (at least some of) Rogue Squadron had to have survived?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I haven't played the Imperial side yet, not having finished TIE Fighter. I will note we never heard from the Vengeance again either, so it's hard telling I suppose.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

TIE Fighter wrapped up yesterday. The Imperial campaign of Balance of Power premieres tomorrow.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

RogueIce wrote: 2021-06-13 12:13pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-06-11 07:45pm Wrapped up Balance of Power today. X-Wing Alliance starts next week.
So what's your view on the continuity of BOP's campaign? LucasArts Light Side Ending Policy where the Rebel campaign is the one that counts? Imperial victory because hey, we never hear about the Calenz shipyard, modified strike cruisers or Airam ever again? The Wookieepedia middle-of-the-road approach where both final missions happened except of course the cruiser Liberty and (at least some of) Rogue Squadron had to have survived?
Having played through the end of the Imperial campaign now (premiere on Thursday), I have to say the Rebel campaign, simply because the end of the Imperial campaign has them capture the Liberty only to seal its crew inside and fling it into the nearest star, which fucks with Return of the Jedi (and X-Wing Alliance) too much.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What about multiple cruisers named Liberty? That would help the rebellion disguise the number of ships they have.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Maaaaybe, but we have no indication the Rebellion did that. Also you kill off Rogue Squadron, which is its own continuity problem.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!