Rogue (re)plays X-Wing

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Rogue (re)plays X-Wing

Post by Rogue 9 »

I decided earlier this year to split the gaming content from the medieval reenactment content on my primary YouTube channel, and started a new channel for the purpose. It had just been sporadic whatever I felt like recording, but I decided to undertake a project a couple of weeks ago: I'm doing a retrospective let's play of the campaigns from all of the X-Wing games. The first part goes live tomorrow morning at 9:00 EDT. For the hell of it, I decided to use YouTube's Premiere function, since I never have before, just to see what it does.

I have lots of content banked, and will release four missions per week until done. At the appropriate juncture I'll start TIE Fighter separately, so that I can end up both series with a playthrough of the Squadrons single player (which jumps back and forth between Rebel and Imperial). It'll all be in this playlist. If this kind of look back is interesting to you, feel free to tune in.

Just to show I've still got it, I recorded the announcement live over a round of Dogfight in Squadrons. I did not curate this match; it's just how I do. :wink:

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Rogue (re)plays X-Wing

Post by Solauren »

What Joystick are you using for flight controls? I've been debating reinstalling them to play them (X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter), but I'm not sure I could get my old Gravis Joystick to work on a modern computer, and I'm not sure I'd like playing it using a modern style video console controller.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-01 04:46pm What Joystick are you using for flight controls? I've been debating reinstalling them to play them (X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter), but I'm not sure I could get my old Gravis Joystick to work on a modern computer, and I'm not sure I'd like playing it using a modern style video console controller.
I'm using my old Saitek X52 that I've had for over a decade. My new Windows 10 computer reads it just fine.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Um, my gravis stick is so old, it I used it on my 386DX40, without drivers.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-01 10:10pm Um, my gravis stick is so old, it I used it on my 386DX40, without drivers.....
Best thing to do is plug it in and try to calibrate it, then. If the computer doesn't recognize it, you have your answer. I'm afraid I don't know enough to advise beyond that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

386DX40? I don't think modern PCs even have the connectors for something from that era.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

A connector adaptor can probably be found somewhere, and the drivers are likely available online. A bunch of devices used to come with drivers on separate CDs, so it has to exist somewhere. Whether the driver is compatible with more modern OSes running a more modern game is a different question.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Batman wrote: 2021-01-02 07:14am 386DX40? I don't think modern PCs even have the connectors for something from that era.
I have an adaptor.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-02 06:32pm
Batman wrote: 2021-01-02 07:14am 386DX40? I don't think modern PCs even have the connectors for something from that era.
I have an adaptor.
Then yeah, plug it in and try to calibrate it in the control panel. The PC will recognize it or not, and trying it that way saves you the trouble of buying/installing a flight sim first to find out.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So how's it holding up? I've always found the original X-Wing quite interesting in that the meat of the story was actually in the strategy guide. The game itself had a fairly threadbare story: TOD 1 was basically standalone, though TODs 2 and 3 flowed together, 4 was the aftermath of 3 but 5 was just showcasing the new fighter.

TIE Fighter has a similar thing going but it did have a stronger narrative arc by making Zaarin the Big Bad and having him duke it out with Thrawn. Still, there was no real character but your own and the story was in the briefings and cutscenes.

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter had no story, and when it got one in Balance of Power it, like much of the game, was basically half-and-half and could go either way depending on who you played.

And so it wasn't until X-Wing Alliance that we got a "proper" story with an actual protagonist, albeit with zero personality but hey, that was the way back then. Sadly its lack of expansions means we never got an ending to the Azzameen Family plot, but hey it was good to end at Endor, a fitting way to go out for the series as a whole.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, Squadrons has a lot more polish, but a lot less content. Mission 2 went up the afternoon of the 1st; missions 3 and 4 are scheduled to release tomorrow morning and afternoon, and that's where the missions stop being mostly empty tutorial.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

If anyone's still interested, I'm still going. The Death Star missions started to go up today.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So you mention the Battle of Yavin not even being close to canon, which is very true. But I don't know, I kind of like this presentation? Clearing out the screening ships - the Empire using screening forces lol - and then the targeted strikes on hangers and stuff to let the assault go through. It really made it feel like a large operation. Having it broken up is a little silly, but given the limitations of tech at the time understandable. IIRC even XWA had the Falcon "refuel" in between segments at Endor.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I tossed the X-wing series games on thanks to GOG. Couldn't get X-wing to load, so I started playing Tie Fighter.

Then I got some converters, and added the Tie Missions to X-wing vs Tie for better graphics.
You lose alot story wise, but if you're just going for combat, it's rather enjoyable. :)

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'm premiering a playthrough of TIE Fighter tomorrow at 1:00pm EDT. Link.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

This should be interesting. TIE Fighter is much beloved. They definitely take the storytelling up a level here. Whereas before you had general arcs for each TOD, now you have actual antagonists and allies/commanders, rather than say a general ship being the main tormentor (ISD Invincible, ISD Intrepid and of course the Death Star). Harkov and Zaarin are much more real than the unnamed Captains/Admirals of the aforementioned ISDs, or the knowledge that in Tarkin was in charge of the Death Star from ANH.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing if my impressions regarding "you mostly fight other Imperials" holds up while actually watching this.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

RogueIce wrote: 2021-03-27 09:56pm Personally, I'm interested in seeing if my impressions regarding "you mostly fight other Imperials" holds up while actually watching this.
So far no, but in the first two tours I've spent more time fighting neutral factions than Rebels, and the writing is on the wall for Harkov.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-04-11 01:34pm
RogueIce wrote: 2021-03-27 09:56pm Personally, I'm interested in seeing if my impressions regarding "you mostly fight other Imperials" holds up while actually watching this.
So far no, but in the first two tours I've spent more time fighting neutral factions than Rebels, and the writing is on the wall for Harkov.
Yeah, I've been watching. Seems so far to be a little even, perhaps somewhat more biased toward neutral/pirate over Rebel, but still plenty of Rebel.

I suspect my perception is being colored by Zaarin's later turn and how he becomes the major antagonist for the last half (or more?) of the game.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

You got me to install TIE-Fighter once more - I'm not sure wether I should thank you or not... :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, Tour 5 Operation 5...yeah...I can only imagine this was the scene at Rebel Headquarters when they came up with that plan:

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, that's about the size of it. And then Red 2 faceplanted into a container for no goddamn reason and Gold 2 flew in circles with his dick in his hand after Gold 1 bit it, so I had to do everything myself, per usual. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Is it bad if I point out I'm much better at this game then you?

I love this game and must admit that it did take several playthroughs of X-Wing before I managed to finish the game without dying one.

On a minor note, my the wingmen are so useless...can I leave them behind.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think it was only in X-wing Alliance (aka the last game in the classic X-wing series) that wingmen did anything resembling useful and prior to that they were there mostly to fill up the roster and give enemies something else to shoot so that the laser focus on the player wasn't quite as obvious.

Still these are older games and for their time the AI was as good as you could get really.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Isolder74 wrote: 2021-04-28 10:10pm Is it bad if I point out I'm much better at this game then you?

I love this game and must admit that it did take several playthroughs of X-Wing before I managed to finish the game without dying one.

On a minor note, my the wingmen are so useless...can I leave them behind.
I'm deliberately not doing things beyond the scope of the mission. :P I know it's common practice to kill the Star Destroyers every time they show up, etc, and I can do it, but it makes everything drag and breaks the story.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I think I've only killed a star Destroyer when I kept failing a mission so killed Bad Idea out of spite.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!