I'm trying to compare two smartphones.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

I'm trying to compare two smartphones.

Post by bilateralrope »

My dad has offered to upgrade my smartphone for Christmas, and he's given me a choice between these two options:
Ulefone Armor 2S
Ulefone Armor X5

I'm leaning towards the first one, mainly due to it going with a fingerprint reader instead of facial recognition. But I'd like some help knowing if any of the other differences are significant. So, if anyone has any reasons why they might prefer one of those phones over the other, please let me know.

For reference, I currently have a Samsung Xcover 4 and the only complaint with it is that it's a bit slow with Google Maps.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: I'm trying to compare two smartphones.

Post by Dominus Atheos »

The x5 has android 9, the 2s has android 7. That probably means the x5 will still be receiving security updates.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2020-10-20 08:05pm The x5 has android 9, the 2s has android 7. That probably means the x5 will still be receiving security updates.
Yes, if your going with this line get the one with the highest android OS, 9 is still listed as supported unlike 7.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Thanks. That would have been a good argument for the X5.

However my dad decided to change his mind, and instead gave me a choice between two Android 10 phones. The X8 or X7 Pro. Both Android 10 phones. I picked the X8, and it's now too late to change my mind.
Russo Stark
Redshirt

Post by Russo Stark »

Why did you choose exactly Ulefone and not say Lenovo or Realme for example? Just wonder :)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The only reason my dad has given me is that these are durable phones. He has dropped phones onto concrete before, damaging them. Do other brands have durable phones near that price point ?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Blackview and Doogee are well known for their durable smartphones.

But you can look it up yourself, the term you want to use is "rugged", that usually means drop-proof and water-proof.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... smartphone

So yes, there are lots of options.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Sure, I could have looked up other brands then. But similar specs and price wouldn't have been enough. I don't know enough about smartphone brands to convince myself that a more well known brand would have been a better choice, let alone convincing my dad.

But it's too late for that now. The phone was ordered nearly two months ago and I'm just waiting for it to get to me.
Jannick
Redshirt

Post by Jannick »

I would take X5 for android 9, for other brands, you can check Huawei Mate40
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jannick wrote: 2021-03-13 02:25am I would take X5 for android 9, for other brands, you can check Huawei Mate40
Did you even check prices before recommending the Huawei Mate40 ?

Because it looks to be a $1400 phone. While the X8* is approximately $200. So not really an option when someone else is giving me the phone as a gift.

In the future, I'd suggest reading a thread before you post in it.

*Which arrived Christmas day.