Freespace 2: Still good 20 years later

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Freespace 2: Still good 20 years later

Post by Rogue 9 »

I saw gameplay video of the upcoming Star Wars: Squadrons game yesterday, and found out that it looks an awful lot like an X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter clone, control-wise, which put the starfighter sim bug in me, so I decided to fire up Freespace 2 in the interim.

Long story short, I encountered a bug in my decade-old installation, so decided to upgrade to the current FSOpen iteration and graphics assets. And holy shit, explosions have gotten real pretty over the last ten years. :D

On top of that, the team behind Blue Planet has remade the original campaign with tweaked missions and rebalanced weapons. That was a pipe dream in 2010 when I was active in the testing community, but apparently the crazy bastards have gone and done it. :mrgreen: Hard Light Productions has implemented a new installer/launcher that runs without a hitch. If you like the genre, I highly recommend giving it a shot.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Re: Freespace 2: Still good 20 years later

Post by Rogue 9 »

I could start a new thread, but this one's still on the first page. Now that my X-Wing playthrough is wrapping up, I'm doing the Freespace games on YouTube. The opening cutscene of Freespace 1 went up today.

The missions will go live in this playlist every Monday and Friday, two missions a day at 9:00am and 5:00pm Eastern time.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

First mission up this morning, second mission goes live in about an hour and a half from this post.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

This cutscene still gives me chills.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Freespace 2 is that rare combination of excellent gameplay matched with great cinematics in a space sim game, which in itself is already not that common to begin with.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

This won't be my gameplay, but a new Freespace campaign I voice acted for has its public release in about eleven hours, and Ill Fated Gaming has been kind enough to agree to stream it on release day. Nearly a year of highly skilled work and polish has gone into this and the writing is excellent; it'll be well worth the watch. :)

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, so he banged his head on the second part and just failed to get how to do it for like an hour, but we got there. :lol: Meanwhile, I wrapped up The Great War campaign today; Silent Threat and Silent Threat: Reborn (I'm running them side by side since they fill the same story space) start tomorrow. :)

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

This mission from Silent Threat: Reborn exemplifies the cosmic horror aspect of Freespace so well. :mrgreen:

It's Rogue, not Rouge!