Recommend me a casual game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Recommend me a casual game

Post by mr friendly guy »

So with the pandemic I am going to be largely stuck in my house for the next 6 weeks just chilling (even though restrictions are lessen over here, I am still going to limit the number of outings I do).

So I am looking for a game that is casual, that is doesn't take that long to finish the first time, but has customisation and hence replayability. I generally play RPGs, but CCGs and FPS and RTS are ok. Nothing too extensive, because I don't want to spend so many hours just playing games. Definitely not MMORPGs and preferably not pay to win (since I am not going to spend that many hours to justify it).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Recommend me a casual game

Post by Mr Bean »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-05-19 02:22am
So I am looking for a game that is casual, that is doesn't take that long to finish the first time, but has customisation and hence replayability. I generally play RPGs, but CCGs and FPS and RTS are ok. Nothing too extensive, because I don't want to spend so many hours just playing games. Definitely not MMORPGs and preferably not pay to win (since I am not going to spend that many hours to justify it).
Well let's narrow that down a bit, I'm assuming your not interested in the mine/craft/explore games like Minecraft (3d) and PC Minecraft w/Questing mods, your Terraria (2D) or Starbound (2D) or My Time at Portia (3d).

RPG's well some have so much content multiple play through are required such as your Elder Scrolls series, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim +Infinite mods on the PC

I'm just trying to narrow this down a touch if your aim is RPG's and RPG likes may I recommend Rimworld which is Dwarf Fortress kinder, gentler dumber Sci-Fi cousin about colonists crash landing on a planet and surviving against numerous threats....

mr friendly guy it might help if we had a past three games you enjoyed or just what you've played recently to give you better recommendations.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Try 'Sid Mierer's Covert Action'

Yes, it's an old DOS game, but it's enjoyable. Probably not 6 weeks enjoyable, but still enjoyable.

Actually, any old DOS game fits your description.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-05-19 07:39am
mr friendly guy it might help if we had a past three games you enjoyed or just what you've played recently to give you better recommendations.
For the non MMORG games I played Divinity original sin 2, Lichdom battle mage, Dragon Commander, Kingdoms of Amalur and CCG games like infinity wars or duel of the planeswalkers 2013/2014 (magic the gathering adaptation).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-05-19 10:07am
Mr Bean wrote: 2020-05-19 07:39am
For the non MMORG games I played Divinity original sin 2, Lichdom battle mage, Dragon Commander, Kingdoms of Amalur and CCG games like infinity wars or duel of the planeswalkers 2013/2014 (magic the gathering adaptation).
Hmm okay so there are several games except short and casual cuts it down a lot. I'd recommend Pathfinder Kingmaker but it took me some 140 hours to beat it so instead I'll ask if you've tried the Shadowrun series of games or the Xcom series? Likewise for RPG's have you done your time in the Witcher games? I'd also toss in the Banner Saga except again you said casual which cuts that game right off.

Okay I have one, Darkest Dungeon have you tried those sort of timeline RPGs?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If you want a couple of games that are fairly casual, I can recommend Doom, Doom: Eternal or some of the better mods for SW: Empire at War. Or Homeworld for that matter.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon are twin-stick style rogue-lites that offer simple to understand but hard to master gameplay and start with a lot of easy progression early with extremely difficult challenges for later if you find yourself hooked.